testtest

Help me choose a scope for my new M1A Precision 6.5 Creedmore

HayesGreener

Hellcat
I am a long time shooter and instructor and had been looking at buying an M1A ever since I first saw one in an Archangel stock. Recent events made me stop procrastinating and I now have a brand new M1A in 6.5 Creedmore in the collection (but no ammo). My experience with the platform is limited to an M14 in Southeast Asia 50 years ago. I have been researching scope mounts and scopes. Conventional wisdom seems to point to the steel Sadlak mount. I am now looking hard at the Sig Electro Optics BDX combo but no decision yet. Advice is welcome. Thanks and Best Regards

I dont trust scopes with an app. Too much electronics to fail, syncing, lack of sync, etc.... i trust sig and sig scopes and own one. I dont trust Sig scopes with apps.

i have a Pulsar high end thermal. Talking $3k+.
The apps, downloads and electronics sometimes freeze in a rapid movement environment. Rare, but has happened. Frustrating

All my scopes non thermal are all standard old school crosshairs.

I have a BDX on my PSA AR10; it's decent, but...I'm not sure if I trust it yet. Picked it up because I got a screaming deal on it.

Plus, what happens when Sig stops supporting the app a few years down the road? Given, you can still I’ve it as a regular “ dumb” scope, but..

My question is, what's your budget?

4-20x, 50 mm objective lens, or thereabouts. I want to shoot pigs and targets waaaay out there
Find something with long eye relief, but in that range I'm not sure what's out there? Give trijicon a try? Accupoint 2.5-10x56 is super clear, but large objective. I have piggy issues and shot them with small caliber and ready too try the 338lm. Vortex 5-25x50 viper have been good for me.

4-20x, 50 mm objective lens, or thereabouts. I want to shoot pigs and targets waaaay out there
I run a vortex 6x24 for pigs way out there ..

838C20E0-0C19-4D47-8ACE-5213790B7618.jpeg

NightForce is a great choice. NX8 2.5-20x50.
Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56 with the TMR reticle
Vortex Razor HD or Gen II series. All around your price range and all excellent scopes. There are others out there, I know Hans mentioned Swarovski, which makes excellent glass.

This one comes with the rangefinder as a kit. Looking forward to experimenting with it. Now if 6.5 Creedmoor ammo would just free up...
Yeah…I sold my 6.5CM (Savage Stealth) earlier this year. Decided to stick on .308, which I could find…sure, I’ve got some 6.5 bullets, etc, etc, but I only had about 80 cases, and I decided to save the lead for my 6.5x55 Swede M96.

It seems that 6.5CM disappears as soon as it hits the shelf around here.

Out-of-the-box, an M1A rifle can shoot accurately up to 150 yards with less than 1 MOA in the right hands. (Source: GunData.org)After 250 yards, you’ll notice bullet drop increase and velocity decrease without arduous practice. By the time you hit 300 yards, the bullet drop is a whopping 13 inches. Isn’t there some way to overcome these limitations?
Mount an M1A scope before your next trip to the range, and you’ll be on your way to pro ranking. However, before you start throwing money around, let’s talk about what you should know about distance.You can also check which are the best M1A scope mounts.There’s something about the .308 caliber that gives people range fever. Although they’re perfectly capable of reaching your dream distance, they can’t do it alone.The further you want to shoot, the more magnification you’ll need. should be avoid a scope bite.

More advice needed-I have a Sadlak steel mount on the M1A precision rifle. Trying to decide on rings. I am looking at low profile precision Vortex rings for the 30mm scope tube with a 52mm objective. Please share your knowledge. I think my hesitation is over whether ejected casings are going to cause a problem with the low mount, but because the mount puts the scope high I don't want to go too high as well. Cheek weld is not an issue because it has an adjustable comb.

Back