testtest

Hollow point ammo

Cris L

Alpha
Ladies and gentlemen, I am a new shooter, and have just acquired my FSC. I have been shooting at a local firing range, after taking Greg Blocks' Basic Handgun One course. I currently have an order in for either a Glock 17, 19, or SA 1911 PI 9209L, all in 9mm caliber. My question is this, which is the best hollow point ammo for these weapons? I've been told that the ramp entry on the 1911s has a tendency to jam. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cris.

Ok. Thanks, ghosttwofive, really appreciate you getting back with an answer. Cris L
There should be some pretty good videos out there for the HST ammo. If I remember correctly, the FBI is switching to it or may have already switched to it for their issue ammo. It has very good terminal ballistics in all calibers.

Hi Chris, Welcome to the Forum. While you’re waiting for a response check out this recent thread on the subject. Also, Luckygunner has an excellent data set for shorter barrel pistols like Springfield’s 1911 EMP, RO Compact, or RO Champions (or even the G19 🤮😅). The LG data can be sorted by column for penetration and expansion. Most rounds are designed and tested from a 4.5-5.5 inch barrel and the LG data shows how barrel length can truly affect efficacy.

Liberty Civil Defense in 9mm is a super round.
As with any ammunition what is great in someone else's handgun may not work the same in yours. I've seen more than one instance where 2 of the exact same models and caliber handguns prefer completely different makes and weight. Best just to try some as it becomes available.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am a new shooter, and have just acquired my FSC. I have been shooting at a local firing range, after taking Greg Blocks' Basic Handgun One course. I currently have an order in for either a Glock 17, 19, or SA 1911 PI 9209L, all in 9mm caliber. My question is this, which is the best hollow point ammo for these weapons? I've been told that the ramp entry on the 1911s has a tendency to jam. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cris.
There is no objective best.

What feeds on one pistol may not feed in an identical pistol...or be as accurate; also, what one shooter may consider acceptable control may be excessive recoil to another.

Therefore, you'll need to test loads in your individual gun and see what it (and you) like.

I literally just spent a good chunk of the afternoon testing several different loads in a Range Officer Lightweight Compact 9mm...I brought about 10 loads along, but only tested 5, as I find a load that shot incredibly well out of it right off the bat...but just because my pistol likes 147gr Ranger-T means yours will.

".........................." As with any ammunition what is great in someone else's handgun may not work the same in yours. I've seen more than one instance where 2 of the exact same models and caliber handguns prefer completely different makes and weight. Best just to try some as it becomes available.
This applies as well to long guns. I have three .270Win caliber rifles in my safe. A 'Browning semi-auto', a 'Thompson Center Encore', and a nearly 50 yr old 'Remington 700 Classic'. The rounds that shoot well in the Browning will shoot around corners in either of the other two. The ones the Encore likes will shoot OK in the other two, but not nearly as well as their pet loads, and the ones that the Rem 700 likes are worse than terrible in the other two.

I'm actually making it sound just a little worse than it is, but the point is they all three like a different load from the other two. No rhyme or reason for it, they're all .270 Win, but three different models and manufacturers.

Liberty Civil Defense in 9mm is a super round.
As with any ammunition what is great in someone else's handgun may not work the same in yours. I've seen more than one instance where 2 of the exact same models and caliber handguns prefer completely different makes and weight. Best just to try some as it becomes available.

I have a buddy who swears by the stuff.

I have a buddy who swears by the stuff.

And I won’t touch the stuff...Lightweight, warp speed, underpenetrates. Also, the few times I’ve seen it used/tested at the range by others, it seemed to cause feed issues...this in guns that ran reliably with other loads.

I'd sooner carry ball.

And I won’t touch the stuff...Lightweight, warp speed, underpenetrates. Also, the few times I’ve seen it used/tested at the range by others, it seemed to cause feed issues...this in guns that ran reliably with other loads.

I'd sooner carry ball.

Is it true that the 9mm penetrates level 3 and 4 armor?

I own 5 9mm 1911, the one that is the most picky is the colt defender, The chamber only takes a perfectly size bullet and case, to long won't feed right, to short won.t eject. My reloads not work well in it. it will only fire Hornaday 124 grain XPT.

Is it true that the 9mm penetrates level 3 and 4 armor?

I do not about know 4 but there are youtube videos showing it blast right through supposed vests and opening up large chunks of clay.
I've shot enough of it in 9mm and .45acp to completely trust it in my firearms. I've never had any problems shooting it. True it may not over penetrate which may be good indoors, seems to me it might make horrific wounds. I hope I never personally find out one way or another.

Back