Founding Member
There are countless options.
Moving
Stationary
Combo of both
Precision

I think 1 drill rarely gets taught.
Draw and shoot from the hip.
Pull the pistol, put the buttplate of the mag in your waist mere inches above or at the holster and shoot. Center mass target. Close in 3-5 feet. Or 3 yrd target

No time to go full stance .
Attacker is on you at arms length
Pull at shoot. 1 second .

I practice when I can at ranges that allow holster draw or outdoors private.

When they are close in your face, you are not going to shoot anywhere near a “proper stance” .
It is in your face. 3-5 feet
Draw - shoot.

As illustrated by this instructor on the left . 3-5 rounds fast, center mass

A very quick, 1 second drill
E0F409A5-41D7-491A-929E-F7734C40EA52.jpeg

Unfortunately for me there is not a range “indoor or outdoor” that allows holster draw and shoot practice in my area so I do this in my apartment;
(gun unloaded) of course. I’ve been doing this for years and have found it even more important since my left shoulder replacement as I draw right handed, I practice this from draw to full presentation as well as draw, point and shoot from just above the holster as I use my left hand on a door frame like I’m holding an assailant back from getting any closer. I have found that this is helping with my left shoulder rehabilitation including range of motion and strength.

Unfortunately for me there is not a range “indoor or outdoor” that allows holster draw and shoot practice in my area so I do this in my apartment;
(gun unloaded) of course. I’ve been doing this for years and have found it even more important since my left shoulder replacement as I draw right handed, I practice this from draw to full presentation as well as draw, point and shoot from just above the holster as I use my left hand on a door frame like I’m holding an assailant back from getting any closer. I have found that this is helping with my left shoulder rehabilitation including range of motion and strength.
Shooting from retention. We do it from 5 yards using index cards.

I teach this drill every chance I get to civilians and fellow Officers. As Killer Ford said it's not practiced enough. My local outdoor range does not allow drawing from the holster but if there are no other shooters around I practice it anyways. It also helps that I'm friends with the local Game Commission wardens who own and patrol the range....

In my Class G course we have our students draw from a retention holster to various presentations at least 200 times before we set foot on the range. Put together with dry fire grip, stance, sight picture, and sight alignment and trigger management you are building neural muscular memory that will be an automatic response under stress. Draw it like you mean it. As you take your gun off at the end of the day face a safe direction and draw like you mean it befire you put it away. You should not have to think about drawing. Good article, practice is good.

I had the opportunity to attend professional training classes paid for by my church while I was on the church security team. I took full advantage of the opportunity.

The instructor called this drill "firing from retention" and we did it every class. It was part of the qualification.
Screenshot_20221020-094344_Samsung Internet.jpg

This is the qualification target we used. With the exception of when we were firing from retention anything outside the box didn't count

Back