testtest

Home Defense vs Concealed Carry Gun

Good article on your home defense gun vs your ccw gun, personally, I use the same gun, that way I know what to expect then having two different guns, but that’s just me.

Agreed. My vehicle gun is the gun I have on me that day. Great informative article.

Frankly, I'm not very enamored of the idea of carrying one (set) of guns and relying on another set of guns at home. The exception of course is the addition of shotguns or even rifles to what is available in the home.

I have even considered recently that all of the guns I carry at the same time should be the same make, model, and caliber. That way training with one gun is training with all of them. In the past, size and weight was a major consideration so my backup guns were smaller, lighter and of lesser calibers. The changes like the introduction of the 365 and Hellcat have made that less of an issue (excepting caliber).

I am considering that it would be just as easy to carry three Hellcats as it would to carry three different pistols. My main stumbling block is I'm not sure I'm convinced that a 9mm round, even those now available, are as effective as a .45 ACP out of my XDs. To go the other way and carry three XDs .45s won't work well for me - I've tried it. If I can get over my feelings about .45 vs 9mm I'm pretty sure I will buy two more Hellcats and let the .45 end up in a safe.

We are all products of our life experiences which is why we have different opinions. Since I really believe I would be better served making all of my CQD guns the same guns, I can't see having a different gun on the nightstand. Of course that does not negate the two 1100s and the two TAC 13s in the master bedroom so maybe I'm just fooling myself.

Right.

So—I have my carry gun on me right now—a S&W 43C .22LR Airweight revolver—in the kangaroo pocket of my sweatshirt. This is my “puttering around the house” gun, and also for running errands around town (I live in a relatively small town, with a very low violent crime rate).

However.

As I sit in my recliner, listening to a blizzard howl outside, I’ve got a “house gun”—HD pistol, if you will—within easy reach (if you know where it is)—a S&W 325 TRR6, loaded with 185gr Silvertips. “Give Me 3 Steps”, as Lynyrd Skynrd sang, and I’m in “The Armoury”, with access to a “cruiser ready” Mossberg 500 (5 rds#4 buck) or an AUG with 40rds of Hornady TAP 5.56 VMAX.

There are different philosophies between a carry gun and a dedicated HD gun, in my way of thinking.

Living where I live now, I really don't have much need nor desire for a house gun. But if I did it would likely be a KelTec KSG7 or very similar. I currently have an Ithaca 12ga 'Featherlight' for my occasional bird hunting, but some years ago ran across a real steal on an extra bbl for it and I bought it just for home defense where I lived at the time

It was a 28", IC choked, plain Jane bbl with no vent rib and a simple 'bead' front sight. Now it's an 18.5" bbl, IC choked, very plain Jane bbl with a very simple bead front sight. If I really needed a home defense gun, that would be it until I could find the KelTec and buy it.

Oh yeh, my CCW is still and will likely be for a long time ....... the Hellcat with the red dot sight. On rare occasions I'll still slip on the KelTec PF9 I've had for many years. I carried it so long before I got the Hellcat, it's almost like an 'old friend'!!! I feel bad for it when I see it there in the safe with "nowhere to go"! :(;):)

My most likely home defense gun is the Sig P365 that I carry everyday, simply because it is probably going to be on my person or within reach. The majority of my training has been with handguns, and I have put enough rounds through the Sig to be fully comfortable with it.

My wife is less familiar with firearms and has had far less training. For that reason, the home defense gun I have for her is a 20 gauge shotgun. I figure that if the 13 rounds in my P365 aren't enough to resolve the situation, they should be enough to get me to the shotgun. I'm sure my wife won't mind if I borrow hers for a bit.

Living where I live now, I really don't have much need nor desire for a house gun. But if I did it would likely be a KelTec KSG7 or very similar. I currently have an Ithaca 12ga 'Featherlight' for my occasional bird hunting, but some years ago ran across a real steal on an extra bbl for it and I bought it just for home defense where I lived at the time

It was a 28", IC choked, plain Jane bbl with no vent rib and a simple 'bead' front sight. Now it's an 18.5" bbl, IC choked, very plain Jane bbl with a very simple bead front sight. If I really needed a home defense gun, that would be it until I could find the KelTec and buy it.

Oh yeh, my CCW is still and will likely be for a long time ....... the Hellcat with the red dot sight. On rare occasions I'll still slip on the KelTec PF9 I've had for many years. I carried it so long before I got the Hellcat, it's almost like an 'old friend'!!! I feel bad for it when I see it there in the safe with "nowhere to go"! :(;):)

Better watch it or someone here who apparently is not very confident in his own training is going to harangue you about how dead simple it is for a home invader to relieve you of that "Long gun". ;-)

Back on topic though, I have several carry guns. I carry different guns under different circumstances. I train with them all regularly. I train with guns I don't carry regularly. I disagree with the theory that you should only carry the same gun or same brand/type of gun. For one thing, if you only ever train with that one gun and the situation ever comes up where you are forced to use a different firearm to defend yourself, what then? Furthermore, these guns aren't so different that it's difficult to remember how to use one or the other. It's not like a guy who only drives a Volkswagon Jetta suddenly getting behind the wheel of a Peterbuilt.

I have a rotation of several strikers that all operate the same way. By pulling the trigger.

Better watch it or someone here who apparently is not very confident in his own training is going to harangue you about how dead simple it is for a home invader to relieve you of that "Long gun". ;-)
"..........................."

Well, I won't say it couldn't happen, but with that smooth bbl on his end and a hand shaped wood stock and grip on my end, I'm thinkin' I might just be able to hang on to it ........ at least long enough to fill his belly button with some '00'-'000' buckshot.

He's not likely going to be trying to take anything from me while picking that belly button lint out. Y'all know what I'm sayin'? :) (y)(y)(y)

Edit: to correct typo

Well, I won't say it couldn't happen, but with that smooth bbl on his end and a hand shaped wood stock and grip on my end, I'm thinkin' I might just be able to hang on to it ........ at least long enough to fill his belly button with some '00'-'000' buckshot.

He's not likely going to be trying to take anything from me while picking that belly button lint out. Y'all know what I'm sayin'? :) (y)(y)(y)

Edit: to correct typo

Well, we all know that training is important. No need to wade into the weeds about that here on this thread. It would be interesting to see this assertion backed up with some statistics that show even regular joe homeowners having their shotgun or AR taken from them by a home invader.

My HD gun is whatever I'm carrying that day along with at least 1 or 2 spare mags (depends on which gun) and a flashlight next to it. The longest open line of sight here at home is less than 40' making anything I'm carrying that day adequate. I always have my EDC on, usually in a pocket in comfortable athletic pants or shorts with large pockets until bedtime. I have the Hornady Rapid Safe on the nightstand for my 3 EDC's but don't put the one I'm carrying that day in unless we have overnight guests. Our bookcase headboard makes the "gun-of-the-day" and accessories rapidly accessible.

My XDM 3.8 Compact 9mm or the Hellcat sits patiently on my hip from wake to sleep. My XDM 4.5 40cal hangs out in a quick access safe (kids) next to the couch. My Saint PDW would be in the mix but it’s bark is rather extreme in its current form and needs a can and another change I’ll post on once it happens.

Since my XDMs are my primary handguns I've repurposed a Glock.

1608937457618.png

and there's always an AR at hand in the other bathroom.
1608937563580.png

Back