testtest

Home Defense: Where to make your Stand

Good article. To sum up, you should take a defensive posture, not an offensive posture. Part of that is staying in your home unless they break in, then confronting them (shooting them if necessary) AFTER they break in your home; and part of that is knowing who you are shooting at.

Staying in your home gives you a much better chance of convincing a jury that you were acting in self-defense; you will likely not be able to claim self-defense if you leave your home and chase down the person you perceive as the attacker. Also, if you know who you are shooting at before you shoot, you will be much more likely to avoid shooting a non-aggressor.

The examples of the shootings used in the article bespeak really bad decision making and unnecessary use of deadly force. Every year we hear reports of innocent persons being shot because of mistaken perceptions. If we just slowed things down there would likely have been a different outcome.

In concealed weapons classes I spend half a day on the laws relating to justifiable use of force. I am astounded at the misconceptions many folks have as to when they can use deadly force, or when they can present a gun. In all of our discussions about calibers and ballistics and shooting skills, I fear we do not spend enough energy on this: We must never forget that pulling that trigger on a human, no matter how right you are, will change your life, forever. And just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Having a fortified position to retreat to is good advice for the reasons given-provided you have the time to get there. I posit that a person who has trained and is highly proficient with a firearm is confident and far less likely to panic and fire it unnecessarily. But then very few folks outside the gun culture will devote the time to train.

Good solid doors and locks that take a lot of force to breech slows everything down. In a high crime area a bar like a Katy Bar makes your doors like a fortress. I live in hurricane country where many homes have a fortified safe room. If they come for you in your "hard corner", well the author is right, it removes any ambiguity as to their evil intentions.

Good article. To sum up, you should take a defensive posture, not an offensive posture. Part of that is staying in your home unless they break in, then confronting them (shooting them if necessary) AFTER they break in your home; and part of that is knowing who you are shooting at.

Staying in your home gives you a much better chance of convincing a jury that you were acting in self-defense; you will likely not be able to claim self-defense if you leave your home and chase down the person you perceive as the attacker. Also, if you know who you are shooting at before you shoot, you will be much more likely to avoid shooting a non-aggressor.
Who ever “breaks” into my home whether through a window or by kicking in the door is an aggressor and are subject to being shot. Obviously I wouldn’t shoot the police who would be responding to either shots being fired or the call for help from me “time allowed” or others but with response time a factor the shooting would likely be over by then. In response to the article my “hard corner” is in my bedroom on the far side of the bed the furthest from the bedroom door.

Last edited:
The examples of the shootings used in the article bespeak really bad decision making and unnecessary use of deadly force. Every year we hear reports of innocent persons being shot because of mistaken perceptions. If we just slowed things down there would likely have been a different outcome.

In concealed weapons classes I spend half a day on the laws relating to justifiable use of force. I am astounded at the misconceptions many folks have as to when they can use deadly force, or when they can present a gun. In all of our discussions about calibers and ballistics and shooting skills, I fear we do not spend enough energy on this: We must never forget that pulling that trigger on a human, no matter how right you are, will change your life, forever. And just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Having a fortified position to retreat to is good advice for the reasons given-provided you have the time to get there. I posit that a person who has trained and is highly proficient with a firearm is confident and far less likely to panic and fire it unnecessarily. But then very few folks outside the gun culture will devote the time to train.

Good solid doors and locks that take a lot of force to breech slows everything down. In a high crime area a bar like a Katy Bar makes your doors like a fortress. I live in hurricane country where many homes have a fortified safe room. If they come for you in your "hard corner", well the author is right, it removes any ambiguity as to their evil intentions.
If someone has broken into your home and forced you to retreat to a defensive corner, is there any place in this country where responding with deadly force is not legal?

If someone has broken into your home and forced you to retreat to a defensive corner, is there any place in this country where responding with deadly force is not legal?
I do believe in Connecticut you are required to use similar force against your attacker, if they have a gun you can use a gun against him/her/them if they have only knives then that should be your defensive weapon, this was explained to me by a police officer friend when I lived in that draconian state. Needless to say one of the many reasons I no longer live there.

I do feel the need to mention something not discussed in the article is if you do defend yourself in your home legally from an individual who breaks in intent on doing you or your loved ones harm for any reason then you “open the door” to being sued by family members of the attacker(s) if your use of deadly force ends badly for said attacker.

Last edited:
Not likely, but. The wording of your state statutes contain the answers. Castle Doctrine laws generally give you the presumption that the person forcibly entering intends violence, and a presumption that the occupants are in peril of death or great bodily harm. Also your statutes may permit deadly force to stop the imminent commission of a forcible felony. Does your state have a stand your ground law, or are you expected to flee before resorting to deadly force? Know the law where you live.

I do believe in Connecticut you are required to use similar force against your attacker, if they have a gun you can use a gun against him/her/them if they have only knives then that should be your defensive weapon, this was explained to me by a police officer friend when I lived in that draconian state. Needless to say one of the many reasons I no longer live there.

I do feel the need to mention something not discussed in the article is if you do defend yourself in your home legally from an individual who breaks in intent on doing you or your loved ones harm for any reason then you “open the door” to being sued by family members of the attacker(s) if your use of deadly force ends badly for said attacker.
Again your statutes are the key. In Florida for example you are immune from prosecution or civil liability in state court if you are found to have been within the justifiable use of force statutes (Chapter 776). In fact, you cannot be arrested unless the police have probable cause that you committed some crime.

"We must never forget that pulling that trigger on a human, no matter how right you are, will change your life, forever." This sums up things up pretty good. This statement is always in my head.

Sadly, there is always the possibility of lawsuits, no matter what you did and no matter the reason.

CCW Safe has lawsuit insurance; I've been thinking about adding that to my coverage.

I do think it would be wise to at least see who you are shooting at before you pull the trigger. You might have a drunk relative who somehow ends up at your house and thinks it is his house, can't get in with his key, and therefore tries to break into what he thinks is his own house.

Exactly Hayes! Most of the trainings I have attended have included the legal as well as tactical disciplines tailored to the laws of my state. One, in particular, stands out in this regard. US Law Shield's seminar "When Can I Shoot? A Legal Guide To Self Defense" was taught by a prominent 2A attorney in my state who is also a published author and litigant both here and on the national scene. Self defense inside the home and outside the home were covered in depth along with a printed copy (US Law Shield publishes this info for every state they are in) to take with you for reference. Their many seminars are free for members and $10 for non-members and are geared to the laws of the state you live in. Most of the seminars are 2 to 2 1/2 hours in length depending on the question and answer period at the end. For me personally, I believe legal training and tactical training go hand-in-hand as I want to avoid being the victim, both tactically and legally.

From all the variables I take away two set in stone rules:

Remain in Defensive mode until you have no other option but to go offensive.

IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET. (As discussed, there is more to identifying your target than just seeing someone you do not know) intoxicated?, mentally unstable? running from danger? I had a nephew whose door was banged on then broken in; turned out he meant no harm to the residents, but was running from a drug deal gone bad and trying to find safety in the first place he came to in order to save himself.

As to US Law Shield, not sure of that option; I was a member, than lapsed. They have a good pitch, but, you may pay all your life and not need them, then when/if you do, what experience and expertise will be the attorney they assign you? And what are the additional/hidden costs? Has anyone here actually had the experience of needing/using them and what was the result? My plan is one offered on this forum under a past thread: line up an attorney of choice before any event, to call if there is an event.

Back