testtest

Hottest food you've ever eaten

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
I originally titled this "Hottest thing you've ever eaten" but that could have gotten some...risque answers :)

I'll start. I went to a county fair in Owatonna, MN in 2013 or so and found a guy selling Jamaican jerk wings. I tried a sample of the spice but it was only "Minnesota hot." (Here in Minnesota, land of Scandinavians and Germans, salt is spicy to most people) I asked the shopkeeper if he had something with more zip. He asked if I wanted to try his authentic Jamaican sauce. Yes, yes I did. Or so I thought. I love hot food. I have a reaper-based sauce I enjoy, I put Da Bomb in my jambalaya for some zip, and raw peppers are part of my normal breakfast. This guy's sauce set everything from my nostrils to my chin on fire after one wing. It didn't stop for what felt like half an hour. What's yours? I imagine the people who spent some time in the South Pacific have some good stories.

Spice and I dont get along. At all. I’m a mild hot sauce is hot kind of guy.

Thai hot for some Pad Thai by accident from the chef on a wrong order about killed me. Sweating bullets. Regular customer. They gave me 4 meals for free and laughed at me for quite a few weeks of return visits.

same thing happened at a local wing joint. Mixed up my order for Habanero.
Thought I needed to go to the ER.

I made chili with just ghost peppers and thought it was the best I had made .. still think that buut my friends who ate had to have a tooth enamel replacement therapy.

But look at the bright side they've got no more internal parasites.
I like your style. I made my jambalaya for a woman once. Just once. I didn't even think to ask about whether she liked spicy food. She tried to be a trooper but I could see her immediately start to sweat and take short breaths. I put the jambalaya away and made some baked chicken and vegetables instead. Poor girl.

Spice and I dont get along. At all. I’m a mild hot sauce is hot kind of guy.

Thai hot for some Pad Thai by accident from the chef on a wrong order about killed me. Sweating bullets. Regular customer. They gave me 4 meals for free and laughed at me for quite a few weeks of return visits.

same thing happened at a local wing joint. Mixed up my order for Habanero.
Thought I needed to go to the ER.
That's the way it is with my entire family.

Back in the middle 90's where I worked a guy brought in some sauce that was labeled " insanity sauce " . The guy was trying to get people to try it but only if you liked hot stuff.

I just barely got a small bit on the end of my first finger, stuck it in my mouth , and thought someone had thrown a lit five gallon bucket of gas in my mouth. WOW!!!!! I was glad I didn't stick it down to the first joint.

A guy who always got to work at the last min. tried it and he did stick his finger down to the first joint after being told how hot the stuff was. He turned beet red and said he had to go to his truck. I waited a couple minutes and went out to find him crawling around in the gravel , slobbering at the mouth and moaning. I asked him if he wanted me to call 911 and he said no , that he would be ok.
He came in about 5 min. after the bell but I had already told the foreman what had happened to him.

I don't know if the stuff is still made or not .

Not really sure what the paintball field owner -Gonzo- put in/on his grilled chicken wings that day....

I actually sprinted next door to the 7-Eleven and chugged milk.

I've never, ever, done that before or since. I was raised on spicy foods by my mother, who's native Szechuan dishes (her Mapo tofu was to die for) chilled the hot summer days in Atlanta, as I was growing up. Now, I'm the guy that eats the "Atomic" wings, because I actually like the flavor and the heat (have you ever had the waitress at an all-you-can-eat wing buffet bring you out two trays of wings at a time, because they got tired of running back and forth? yeah, I'm *_that_* guy :ROFLMAO:).

That was the hottest thing I ever remember eating...but maybe it was just because I was younger, and hadn't yet ramped-up my tolerance for heat?

Eddie Huang (and others) - Hot Ones (NSFW, language)

^ It felt just like that!

I have zero stomach for spiciness. I'm perfectly happy eating hospital cafeteria type food, pretty sure most of the lining of my stomach is gone from a plethora of abuses in my late teens, and early 20's. Anyway, some friends convinced me, very wrongly, once while we were having lunch at a Thai restaurant that wasabi "really wasn't that spicy". I had worked with all of these jackasses for about 15 years but I should have known better. I dipped some of my General Tso's chicken into the wasabi and spent the next half hour cursing each and every one of their names while drinking glass after glass of water and trying to breath normally. That was the first, only, and last time I ever took anyone's advice when it came to "it really isn't that spicy"....

Back in the middle 90's where I worked a guy brought in some sauce that was labeled " insanity sauce " . The guy was trying to get people to try it but only if you liked hot stuff.

I don't know if the stuff is still made or not .

1628629768238.png

^ Is it this one?

I *love* this sauce. I think it's actually got a very nice, "plain heat" flavor that goes well as a "heat base" for foods for which I don't want the taste of the hot sauce to get in the way of the seasoning.

That said, I did make a mistake once and marinaded a steak in what I had thought was a reasonable dilution of this sauce.... Turned out I was wrong in my calculations, and when I opened the grill, I thought I'd eaten a tear-gas grenade. :ROFLMAO:

Steak tasted great, though!

After I stopped crying.

For those of you who like a spicy bowl of ramen.....

^ I'd go for this dry one, the "2x Spicy" (currently, the "2x Spicy" you get in the red package will be the 10K SHU one), if you haven't tried it yet. It's nice, straight heat, no weirdness of flavor. Pairs well with chicken or red-meat, and a fried sunny-side-up egg (that yolk running down the noodle is just so!), with a dash of Nori Fume Furikake Rice Seasoning on top. You can get it - as well as the Nori Fume rice seasoning sprinkles - at just about any Asian food store or via Amazon.

If a soup-noodle is your jam - https://www.seriouseats.com/shin-ramyun-taste-test

^ Like the article said, don't get the cup version, get the one in the packet, and make it right.

These two are among the triumvirate of what many of us of Asian descent describe as the "one taught me love, one taught me pain, one taught me patience" trio (the latter two, respectively, here). The Shin is considered a premium product, and you'd do well to sink a soft-boiled egg in there, pairing it with some fatty, thin-sliced beef or pork from the same Asian grocer's you'd gotten this packet of noodle from (although it's also available via Amazon).

Mr. Shin died not long ago, and to commemorate his passing, my daughter and I had a meal of his creation, each prepared in our own favorite way (as with many Asians, we sorta do our own thing, and go off-recipe: I sometimes make a soup separate from the Shin seasonings, and make a dry noodle to go with). For whatever reason, we both started off our meal choking on the spicy soup. "Good one, Mr. Shin!" my daughter said, finally, when she caught her breath.

View attachment 19695

^ Is it this one?

I *love* this sauce. I think it's actually got a very nice, "plain heat" flavor that goes well as a "heat base" for foods for which I don't want the taste of the hot sauce to get in the way of the seasoning.

That said, I did make a mistake once and marinaded a steak in what I had thought was a reasonable dilution of this sauce.... Turned out I was wrong in my calculations, and when I opened the grill, I thought I'd eaten a tear-gas grenade. :ROFLMAO:

Steak tasted great, though!

After I stopped crying.
That is the stuff. Some like a lot of heat , some don't. When I have heat , I also want taste but this stuff had no taste. Plenty of heat though.

I lived in Thailand and was married to a Thai girl for a few years. The Thais have some spices that will burn your fingers when you touch it. I ate some Thai hot food in Thailand that took my breath away. For the natives, if the tears and snot isn't running its not hot enough. I often eat in Thai restaurants which we are fortunate to have in abundance in the Florida Panhandle, but medium hot is as high as I will go. I like spicy and put tobasco or cholula on everything but ice cream, but hot Thai food is in a whole different category of self abuse.

I've had ghost and Carolina peppers, not on a chip kind. My ears were a little red and sniffled a bit, but was good for me. I need too find hotter peppers and I figured if a hot 1 is out there it would be asian or indian. My quest is never inding. My Hispanic relatives tell me I'm more Mexican than them. They can't handle jalapeno. Sarano maybe? My bil's wife and her sister usually try to find peppers that are hot for me to try. She gave me a hobenaro and turned away as I put the whole pepper in my mouth and started chewing. She screamed "Don't"! I told her they taste like candle wax and not even hot.

I was shopping with the wife and felt like some chicken wings and sure enough there was a wing stop I sure you guys have one around . So I felt like a little heat I like hot food so I order the hottest wings they had one bite and heat set in I almost lost it never again would I do that it wasn’t even enjoyable

I lived in Thailand and was married to a Thai girl for a few years. The Thais have some spices that will burn your fingers when you touch it. I ate some Thai hot food in Thailand that took my breath away. For the natives, if the tears and snot isn't running its not hot enough. I often eat in Thai restaurants which we are fortunate to have in abundance in the Florida Panhandle, but medium hot is as high as I will go. I like spicy and put tobasco or cholula on everything but ice cream, but hot Thai food is in a whole different category of self abuse.
That is it for me too. Some sort of Thai pepper that I ate. I got short on breath as well.

Back