testtest

How Many Guns Do American Really Own?

ChanceMcCall

Master Class
I read and hear many different totals, usually from someone trying to make the point that there are too many guns to take away from people. I just wonder what the folks propagating these numbers are basing their total on. For example:

My mother, when she died at 103, owned rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Many of them didn't have serial numbers. None of them were purchased later than the 1950s and she had never filled out any forms when buying them. Those guns still exist and two of the rifles and all of her handguns were semi automatic. Would those guns be counted, and if so how?

Many, many years ago I used to buy single action Colts in Mexico very cheap. Those guns came back to the US, were cleaned up and repaired when necessary and sold for a profit. This was before laws were changed and it was perfectly legal. Since those guns never went through any system, are they being counted? How? Bear in mind I wasn't the only one doing this - it was a cottage industry for some gun folks including many members of the Border Patrol.

Any SASS shooter knows that many guns made before the turn of the century are perfectly capable guns for self defense and hunting. People may not shoot the old ones at events because of their value, but many are certainly able.

I suspect, but do not know, there are far more guns floating around than are being included in these numbers.

I hear this conversation all the time, how many guns do you need, well, for me, there is never enough. If you a serious collector, you could have, competition shooter also may have many. Mostly this is asked by a non-shooter to a shooter if you ask me. Going to quote a scene from Terminator Dark Fate....why so many weapons...if the world goes to pop...you need these to protect your family, besides, this is Texas.....😬

I hear this conversation all the time, how many guns do you need, well, for me, there is never enough. If you a serious collector, you could have, competition shooter also may have many. Mostly this is asked by a non-shooter to a shooter if you ask me. Going to quote a scene from Terminator Dark Fate....why so many weapons...if the world goes to pop...you need these to protect your family, besides, this is Texas.....😬
Well thanks for telling everyone! The movie "Over the Hedge" remark about the potato chips, "1 spuddy is never enough"! The value of protection goes deep!

Let’s see......

Sig P320 full size, with 4 21rd magazines for home defense
Springfield Hellcat for my EDC
Smith and Wesson M&P EZ 9mm for my wife. So....

....one more each. Ask me again next month and the total may have changed but I will still answer, “I think we need one more for each of us.”

I would think the appropriate answer for this question is how many Guns and gun types are in the world? Well I’ll take 3 of each please!!!!!!! 😁😁😁

That's a hard question. I've seen estimates from 300-600 million of the roughly 1 billion privately owned firearms worldwide. But how does anyone really know? If someone calls you and asks do you have a gun and if so, how many? How many are going to answer, or answer truthfully? They could look at background checks, but again, that doesn't work because background checks are done for more than just firearms. Heck, I don't even know how many I have, and that's how I prefer it.

Back