testtest

How Many Magazines Do You Keep On Hand Per Gun?

The Night Rider

Professional
I live in Colorado. I got caught by a magazine capacity ban*. It changed the way I think about things.

When I bought my Glock 19 I speciffically chose it over a 17 because the 19 magazines are still legal in Colorado but I went out and bought about 30 of them plus some Magpul mags just in case.

So how many magazines do you normally stock up on?

* In Colorado the magazine ban is routinely ignored but I'm a firm believer that breaking the law and hoping the cops don't enforce it is a bad plan.

I live in Colorado. I got caught by a magazine capacity ban*. It changed the way I think about things.

When I bought my Glock 19 I speciffically chose it over a 17 because the 19 magazines are still legal in Colorado but I went out and bought about 30 of them plus some Magpul mags just in case.

* In Colorado the magazine ban is routinely ignored but I'm a firm believer that breaking the law and hoping the cops don't enforce it is a bad plan.

Minimum of five is mandatory. In all cases. Personally I am not comfortable with less than double that amount. For pistols anyway.

I'm not normal with this bunch but I only keep 4-5 for each pistol, 10 for AR-15's, only have 3 for my M1A. Don't need more. I only shoot twice/month...I'm in my 50's and don't expect to wear many out through wear and tear. Rather spend money on range time and ammo. Range time at $25/hour minimum eats a fair amount of budgeted $$ for the "hobby".

30 mags would outlive me for any individual firearm, unless they are junk mags. But like they say, how many is enough?: All of them....

Sorry to hear about those (and yourself), that live in States with Magazine capacity limits (AKA Bans). Currently in Pennsylvania there isn’t any proposed limits, so - so far so good.
For my pistols, I generally want between 5-7 mags per each firearm. Revolvers - 3-5 speed loaders, and rifles, generally the same as pistols (5-7),
Now for the several firearms I have multiples in same caliber (AR15’s, AR10s, 1911s), I may have well over 20 mags or so. For the ARs, I generally shoot off a bench with bi-pod and like the 10 round mags, so I can get better scope eye relief with bi-pod not extended that high. I do have plenty of 30 rounders and a few coupled 40 rounders. Additionally, 2 glock 50 round pistol caliber drum mags (9mm & 40), mainly for my PCC firearms (Kel-Tec Sub 2000, etc).

I'm not normal with this bunch but I only keep 4-5 for each pistol, 10 for AR-15's, only have 3 for my M1A. Don't need more. I only shoot twice/month...I'm in my 50's and don't expect to wear many out through wear and tear. Rather spend money on range time and ammo. Range time at $25/hour minimum eats a fair amount of budgeted $$ for the "hobby".

30 mags would outlive me for any individual firearm, unless they are junk mags. But like they say, how many is enough?: All of them....
Mags can fail. They can also be outlawed. Or they can be discontinued, hard to find and very expensive. When I find Gen 2 Pmags in the $8 range I buy 10. I don't know how many I have at this point but it is more than 30 that's for sure.

1647651169712.jpeg

Yes, Glock mags………😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

1647654528702.png

I keep a minimum of 5 per magazine-fed handgun. When it comes to guns that I shoot often, or that have affordable magazines, I often keep 10 or more magazines, especially if they are compatible with other guns that I own (ex. XD Series, Glock).

As far as AR's and AK's, I pick up a few mags whenever I find them at a good price (I honestly don't know how many I have). Mini-14 mags are a bit more expensive, so I only have 8 or 9 of those.

3 Mags for the X5 Legion (Just haven't gotten around to dropping $120 for 2 more and the 21 rounders are hard to find)
5 Mags for the XDM Elite Compact 3.8" .45
5 Mags for the P365 XL
5 Mags for the Ronin
4 Mags for the M1A
20 Mags for the AR

I’m pretty much with JFAL, but also I say absolute *minimum* of 3-4 of the highest capacity double stack magazines for pistols. Like LEO’s one in the gun ready to run, and usually the holders are for 2mag, now sometimes 3 mag pouch. As for single stack for say a 1911 highest capacity and about the same as the number that you’d have for your AR platform Due to extremely low capacity. Now For AR type rifle I believe I have about 13-18? Most magpul doubled together. Think on where would you put all the extra mags? Are you needing quick access or just wanna have a good supply.

Back