testtest

How often to the range and how many rounds?

I try to make it to the range at least twice a month. The amount of rounds I go through depends on what I want to work on. If I am practicing reloads the round count will be much lower than target transition drills.

It varies throughout the year. Typically, I hit the range twice a month. One of my hobbies is 3-Gun Competition. During that time of year then I will go 3-4 times in a month. The big thing I recommend is to have a plan and focus on 1-2 skill sets at a time. That way it makes all of the rounds count. Of course, sometimes it is just about the Pew Pew and having fun with friends.

2-3 times per month for me, depending on the weather. I don't go through a lot of ammo at the range. No competition shooting for me, and just shoot paper and metal targets. Normally, I take the XD Mod2 9, XDS 9, and the Saint Edge to the range. Usually 40 rounds through the Edge, and 50 per pistol. The 13 yr old grandson got a 10/22 for Christmas, and he'll do 100 rounds through it.

I go at least once a week for handgun, and once or twice a month for rifles. I only get my shotguns out a few times a year. I will do 1-200 rounds on the rifle range, but I do between 3-5 on the pistol range. That's not counting a couple of matches a month, with a 1-200 round count per match. Writing it out like that is sort of depressing. I feel like I should be a lot better for the amount of time and money I put into it...

Please understand that I am fully retired. Everyday is like Saturday for me. That said I try to hit the range each weekday morning and if one is available take a family member with me. Usually burn through 2-400 rounds per visit. Depends on what I'm taking. I have cals from .17 to .454 and I am a bit of a hand cannon lover. Afternoons, evenings and weekends are spent caring for the wife and reloading. I find reloading is relaxing and it's very interesting trying different loads. There is one person that is quite unhappy with my large amounts of shooting and reloading. No, not the wife. She enjoys me gone for a while each day. It's the poor mailman that has to put those 70# shipments of bullets at my doorstep.

I go about twice a month. 200- 250 round average. It really depends on what skill set I’m working on.

Please understand that I am fully retired. Everyday is like Saturday for me. That said I try to hit the range each weekday morning and if one is available take a family member with me. Usually burn through 2-400 rounds per visit. Depends on what I'm taking. I have cals from .17 to .454 and I am a bit of a hand cannon lover. Afternoons, evenings and weekends are spent caring for the wife and reloading. I find reloading is relaxing and it's very interesting trying different loads. There is one person that is quite unhappy with my large amounts of shooting and reloading. No, not the wife. She enjoys me gone for a while each day. It's the poor mailman that has to put those 70# shipments of bullets at my doorstep.
Fully ret'd here also, and I save my range days and fishing days for the weekdays also.........when most folks are at work, which means I'm the only one at the range or on the water in my kayak. :)

Not as often as I'd like; however, I try to get to the range two to three times a month. When I do get the time to go, I try to make it count going through at least 200 rounds. I'll bring my EMP and my XDM and sometimes more. On occasion, I'll hit the rental counter to try something new. Depending on the range, I'll also spend some quality time with my M1A. Ok, it's range time.

Also retired. I haven't been to the range the past year or so (battling some minor health related issues, but doing better). I plan on resuming & in the past would go every other week to the indoor range and about 5 times a year for the outdoor range I'm a member of. For indoor range, I would take 3 pistols (my EDC, and 2 in a pistol case), usually the same caliber (but not always), and shoot anywhere from 200-300 rounds total for the 3 with the numerous mags preloaded for each.
For the outdoor range, 2 rifles each with 100 rounds of preloaded mags.
I too like the hand cannon and power load rifles, owning a 454 Casul, and Desert Eagle 50AE. Rifles include 50 Beowulf, 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, 45-70 Marlin 1895 and 338 Lapua RPR to mention a few. I'm thinking about getting a S&W 500, unfortunately the closest indoor range I usually go to, only allows up to 44 magnum to be fired there. For the bigger cals, I have to either go to my outdoor range or a another indoor range further away that allows up to 30-06 to be fired indoors.

I was going to the range at least twice a week averaging about 300-400 rounds a week of mostly 9mm and 5.56 until I moved to a different state a few months ago. Now until I get into another club the rental range will have to do a few times a month.☹️

Also retired. I haven't been to the range the past year or so (battling some minor health related issues, but doing better). I plan on resuming & in the past would go every other week to the indoor range and about 5 times a year for the outdoor range I'm a member of. For indoor range, I would take 3 pistols (my EDC, and 2 in a pistol case), usually the same caliber (but not always), and shoot anywhere from 200-300 rounds total for the 3 with the numerous mags preloaded for each.
For the outdoor range, 2 rifles each with 100 rounds of preloaded mags.
I too like the hand cannon and power load rifles, owning a 454 Casul, and Desert Eagle 50AE. Rifles include 50 Beowulf, 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, 45-70 Marlin 1895 and 338 Lapua RPR to mention a few. I'm thinking about getting a S&W 500, unfortunately the closest indoor range I usually go to, only allows up to 44 magnum to be fired there. For the bigger cals, I have to either go to my outdoor range or a another indoor range further away that allows up to 30-06 to be fired indoors.
Sounds like you have quite the powerhouse collection! Impressive!

I try to go twice a month but sometimes due to life at least once a month. I go through about 75-100 rounds working on home defense and holstering drills.

Twice a week, November thru March, after that usually once or twice a month, most of the time run thru about 120-150 rounds. and yes, i do reload......:)

One thing to think about if you can't get to the range as much as you would like try a laser training weapon. SIRT makes a nice one and is easy to practice around the house. But remember they look pretty real so keep that in mind. But you can do a lot of practice with things like drawing from a holster, something most ranges will not let you do. Trigger control which too many don't take the time to practice. And good trigger control will help in shot placement and is over looked. Remember dry fire works well also and is okay if you can't afford a laser pistol or just don't want to spend the money on one. But in the end practice is the main goal. If it is on the range then good but if it is a laser pistol in your living room then that is okay as well.

Back