testtest

How to clean a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revolvers are built quite differently...not nearly the tight clearances or tiny trigger parts of a mag-fed semi-auto. There are days I think I could clean my Colt with an air compressor and an old toothbrush. If the trigger pull gets too heavy, open the grip and lube the springs a bit!

*yes, I jest. My Colt means too much to me, to abuse it like that...

I am a new gun owner and I want to do everything right. I have a Xds mod2 9mm. Should I stay with the Lucas brand of CLP and oil?
Also should I stay away from all gun grease? The reason I ask is, I’ve read too much lubrication is not recommended and I would think grease being thicker would fall into that category plus retain dirt.
Thank you Armory members for your continued help.

I've never used lucas on guns, but they make excellent products. A lot of people love CLP type lubes (i've used Break free), they are pretty much all the same across different brands. Your guns will work fine using CLP. For me, I think it is too thin. If I had a really jammed up dirty gun in the field and HAD to get it up and running, hosing it down with CLP would be the way to go. Gun grease in certain areas like slide rails, trigger sears is ok but not necessary. Grease will also get real sticky in cold temps. and could cause problems in a semi auto firearm. I lean towards the OCD side when cleaning and lubing guns. I personally, mostly use Molybdenum disulfide paste(Neco Moly slide https://www.neconos.com/item/MOLY-SLIDE-33 )on high pressure wear areas, like slide rails,barrel links and trigger sears and other internal parts you don't have to clean all the time. For the rest, it's Mil-spec LSA oil with Teflon everywhere else, and even mixed in with the moly paste in some places. ...Good old Hoppys #9 oil is fine to use too, especially if you have a nice blued gun that you want to sparkle.

I am a new gun owner and I want to do everything right. I have a Xds mod2 9mm. Should I stay with the Lucas brand of CLP and oil?
Also should I stay away from all gun grease? The reason I ask is, I’ve read too much lubrication is not recommended and I would think grease being thicker would fall into that category plus retain dirt.
All I ever use is CLP. Apply enough to cover the surfaces and spread around, I use old toothbrushes. Let it soak for about five minutes and wipe it off. On reassembly put one drop on each of the four slide glides. Should be good to go.

I wish my XDS was the mod2. I have the older one in .45ACP, You think you were holding on to a cheese grader after you get done shooting it.:rolleyes::LOL:

That’s the only products I use now, works great for me. I use there Extreme Duty CLP and Extreme Duty Gun oil, not a fan of gun grease, but, that’s just me, big plus, there products are all polymer safe to.

I’m gonna be a bit of an apostate, here:

Lube, cleaners, etc?

They’re all pretty much the same.

Breakfree, Hoppes...MilTec, TW25b...etc, etc, etc...there’s really no difference.

Don’t fret on what you use...plenty of people use automotive (brake-nonchlorinated) cleaner for general cleaning, Mobil 1 or another synthetic oil for lube, and white lithium grease, with no problems.

There is no one superior product.

I’m gonna be a bit of an apostate, here:

Lube, cleaners, etc?

They’re all pretty much the same.

Breakfree, Hoppes...MilTec, TW25b...etc, etc, etc...there’s really no difference.

Don’t fret on what you use...plenty of people use automotive (brake-nonchlorinated) cleaner for general cleaning, Mobil 1 or another synthetic oil for lube, and white lithium grease, with no problems.

There is no one superior product.
We used to make something I think was called, Red Devil,or something like that, it had a few names.You could google it. It had everything, trans fluid, fuel oil, motor oil,STP and a few other ingredients. Yea, brake-kleen works great. I just use dawn dish soap and hot water now to clean, followed by a dunk in WD-40, wipe dry,lube and assemble.

We used to make something I think was called, Red Devil,or something like that, it had a few names.You could google it. It had everything, trans fluid, fuel oil, motor oil,STP and a few other ingredients. Yea, brake-kleen works great. I just use dawn dish soap and hot water now to clean, followed by a dunk in WD-40, wipe dry,lube and assemble.
Surely you don't dunk the slide on striker pistols in WD40???

Ed’s Red.

Tranny fluid, lanoline...can’t remember what else.

Buddy has it in a parts washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back