testtest

How to identify venison cuts of meat

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
You've pulled a piece of venison from the freezer, now what? What cut is it? What are the cooking methods for that cut? What recipes go well with that particular cut?

I thought there was only three kinds of venison. Frying meat, stew meat, and ground meat. I honestly don't know what else might even be needed.

Years back when I had a hunting club out west of town, it was only about a 40 minute drive from home ..... so during hunting season I would pack my gear up on Thursday nights and stack in the corner of the family room. Then on Friday afternoons when off work, I'd make a speed run home, change clothes, grab my gear and back out to the truck in about 10 minutes and back on the road to camp for the weekend.

On the way out of town I'd pass a Winn-Dixie grocery store where a buddy of mine worked in the meat department. He would save up the steak and fat trimmings all week for me to pick up on my way out of town each week. During the weekend, any game we killed was field dressed and hung in our walk in cooler for the coming week, and any that had been killed the week before and hanging would be processed for freezing.

We'd typically add some of that trimmings into our ground meat with each of us having our preference as to the amount of trim and fat per pound of venison. Any 'frying' meat that we might cook at camp over the weekend was usually done in that 'rocket hot' cast iron skillet in lard (tallow), and often would have a piece or two of those same trimmings added for flavor. What was that old saying? ....... Oh yeh, Uhmmm uhmmm good!!!

I thought there was only three kinds of venison. Frying meat, stew meat, and ground meat. I honestly don't know what else might even be needed.

Years back when I had a hunting club out west of town, it was only about a 40 minute drive from home ..... so during hunting season I would pack my gear up on Thursday nights and stack in the corner of the family room. Then on Friday afternoons when off work, I'd make a speed run home, change clothes, grab my gear and back out to the truck in about 10 minutes and back on the road to camp for the weekend.

On the way out of town I'd pass a Winn-Dixie grocery store where a buddy of mine worked in the meat department. He would save up the steak and fat trimmings all week for me to pick up on my way out of town each week. During the weekend, any game we killed was field dressed and hung in our walk in cooler for the coming week, and any that had been killed the week before and hanging would be processed for freezing.

We'd typically add some of that trimmings into our ground meat with each of us having our preference as to the amount of trim and fat per pound of venison. Any 'frying' meat that we might cook at camp over the weekend was usually done in that 'rocket hot' cast iron skillet in lard (tallow), and often would have a piece or two of those same trimmings added for flavor. What was that old saying? ....... Oh yeh, Uhmmm uhmmm good!!!
Frying deer meat should be illegal. The most important thing is steaks. When I kill a deer, I field dress it, then butcher it on the tailgate. It goes in two bags. One is steaks the other is trim. I usually save a ham for my wife for roast, everything else I steak up. My dad was a butcher his whole life and I have been butchering my own deer since I was 12 years old.

Good venison backstrap only needs some light seasoning and red wine ..
009120C8-003F-4764-89DC-1566EB86C634.jpeg

Frying deer meat should be illegal. The most important thing is steaks. When I kill a deer, I field dress it, then butcher it on the tailgate. It goes in two bags. One is steaks the other is trim. I usually save a ham for my wife for roast, everything else I steak up. My dad was a butcher his whole life and I have been butchering my own deer since I was 12 years old.
Well, I cut a lot of steaks from my deer as well, especially the back strap and rump roasts, then I fry 'em up in a 'rocket hot' cast iron skillet !!!LOL! LOL! (y)(y)(y)

1- Cooking up our maple syrup based glaze for ribs and injection for butts (I most always use a glaze on ribs, but never use a BBQ sauce unless someone asks for it)
2- typical setup for holiday cooks .... my personal smoker/cooker (80mgal air compressor tank)
3- got a good stick fire going
4- shaking out a little dry spice rub on some nice ribs
5- finished product
6- called 'country style ribs' .... actually sliced pork butt (boneless and oh, so, good!)
7- butts prepped and about to go on the smoker
8- butts just about ready to come off
9- just the right temp for a good cook
10- hand made sausage cookers

I love it!!!

HPIM0549.JPGHPIM0498.JPG

HPIM0499.JPGHPIM0740.JPGBBQ pics 011.jpgBBQ pics 013.jpgBBQ pics 065.jpgHPIM0559.JPG

Attachments

• BBQ pics 103.jpg
    BBQ pics 103.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 141
  • BBQ pics 126.jpg
    BBQ pics 126.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 142
Back