testtest

HST 230 +p or HST 230

Agree. All pistols are a little bit different in what the shoot best.
My Kimber 1911 really likes the 165gr .45acp rounds over all others. So when it gets carried it has either Hydrashoks or Corbon riding along.

I am a fan of +P ammo but in .45 you pick up about 60fps at the muzzle over regular Federal HST. I don't know that whatever you hit with it will be able to tell the difference but the thought of that little extra zip is compelling.

I personally prefer Hornady Critical Duty +P with a 220 gr bullet that gives a little better performance than the Federal but again I don't know if the target will know the difference. I have shot large feral hogs at close range with Federal, Hornady, and Sig hollow points and all resulted in a DRT hog. My 10mm with Sig V Crown also drops them like a stone. I really don't see any noticeable difference in recoil between the +P and standard defensive loads.

I would not feed my pistol a steady diet of +P (that would be a pricey proposition and a little hard on the gun), I generally shoot up my +P carry ammo and replace it with new twice a year and shoot standard loads for practice.

Try out some defensive loads and see what works best for you.

I am a fan of +P ammo but in .45 you pick up about 60fps at the muzzle over regular Federal HST. I don't know that whatever you hit with it will be able to tell the difference but the thought of that little extra zip is compelling.

I personally prefer Hornady Critical Duty +P with a 220 gr bullet that gives a little better performance than the Federal but again I don't know if the target will know the difference. I have shot large feral hogs at close range with Federal, Hornady, and Sig hollow points and all resulted in a DRT hog. My 10mm with Sig V Crown also drops them like a stone. I really don't see any noticeable difference in recoil between the +P and standard defensive loads.

I would not feed my pistol a steady diet of +P (that would be a pricey proposition and a little hard on the gun), I generally shoot up my +P carry ammo and replace it with new twice a year and shoot standard loads for practice.

Try out some defensive loads and see what works best for you.

60fps on 230gr works out to an extra 53 ft/lbs energy, assuming 850 and 910fps.

The difference between a tap of a finger and a firm poke, approximately…not going to be noticed on the receiving end. Practically, the extra velocity tends to give slightly better expansion, but slightly less penetration as far as permanent wound channel is concerned…pretty much a wash.

I’m not saying you (or anyone) shouldn’t use +P, of course; but I think in some cases it’s definitely a case of diminishing returns.

E
60fps on 230gr works out to an extra 53 ft/lbs energy, assuming 850 and 910fps.

The difference between a tap of a finger and a firm poke, approximately…not going to be noticed on the receiving end. Practically, the extra velocity tends to give slightly better expansion, but slightly less penetration as far as permanent wound channel is concerned…pretty much a wash.

I’m not saying you (or anyone) shouldn’t use +P, of course; but I think in some cases it’s definitely a case of diminishing returns.
Especially at a buck fifty a round

Back