testtest

Hunting elk in the Rockies

Never hunted elk, but was bowhunting whitetail once when a huge 7x7 elk walked in 35 yards from my treestand. That's the first time I heard an elk bugle. Really cool to have that opportunity. You can hunt elk here, but you must enter a lottery system.
Where are you located? I'm looking for somewhere to go with my brother and my dad.

If you are a hunter you will love it. We hunt in the national forest. No guides, Just me and natural. I have taken one bull elk 5x5 seen others but couldn't get a good shot on them so I passed. Did take a 4 point mule deer last time out big body and pushed a really nice 5x5 to a guy I was hunting with for the first time. We stayed at bible camp that does these elk hunt once a year. There was 14 hunters there from all over the US. Meet this guy from Florida and took him to where I got mine and he got his. My son went with me till he quit hunting and I took my father twice but he didn't hunt. Great memories. If I can I would love to answer any question you might have.

I’m in the same boat. My father in law has hunted Dove Creek, CO for years. Has shot several elk. We are wanting to go this year on the 2nd rifle hunt. We have narrowed it down to 3 units on BLM land.

I have never hunted Elk. Wish I did when I lived in Arizona. Just spending a week in the Kaibab would be great. My brother got drawn for Elk a few years ago there. From his stories, it seemed like a great adventure.

If you are a hunter you will love it. We hunt in the national forest. No guides, Just me and natural. I have taken one bull elk 5x5 seen others but couldn't get a good shot on them so I passed. Did take a 4 point mule deer last time out big body and pushed a really nice 5x5 to a guy I was hunting with for the first time. We stayed at bible camp that does these elk hunt once a year. There was 14 hunters there from all over the US. Meet this guy from Florida and took him to where I got mine and he got his. My son went with me till he quit hunting and I took my father twice but he didn't hunt. Great memories. If I can I would love to answer any question you might have.
Thanks! First question: how hard is it to get a tag? Second, what is a reasonable rifle to use? I have a 30.06 bolt action, a Winchester 94, and a Marlin 1895g. My uneducated thought is the 30.06 would be enough, but the others are too short. I'm looking at picking up a .300 Win Mag.

.30-06 should be plenty...probably more elk have been taken with that caliber than any other.

My stepfather in-law grew up in the Bitterroot Valley, and that’s all he ever used when he used to hunt elk.

It's really more about bullet construction, and how far out you’re comfortable taking shots.

Of course, if you’re looking for “justification“ for a new rifle, well...

.30-06 should be plenty...probably more elk have been taken with that caliber than any other.

My stepfather in-law grew up in the Bitterroot Valley, and that’s all he ever used when he used to hunt elk.

It's really more about bullet construction, and how far out you’re comfortable taking shots.

Of course, if you’re looking for “justification“ for a new rifle, well...
My brother is rifle-poor.

I suppose he could buy his own but, well, (insert justification for me buying one instead here).

I'm comfortable out to 300 or so with my A-Bolt.

Thanks! First question: how hard is it to get a tag? Second, what is a reasonable rifle to use? I have a 30.06 bolt action, a Winchester 94, and a Marlin 1895g. My uneducated thought is the 30.06 would be enough, but the others are too short. I'm looking at picking up a .300 Win Mag.
You can get a tag over the counter. 30-06 will do just fine, with the right bullet. 300WM is the rifle I have for my hunt.

Depends on the unit you want to hunt most of them you can buy a bull tag over the counter. 30.06 is good to use I have use one and my son used a 270. The guy I push one to last time was using a 308. I got mine with a 300 WSM. I have hunted them with a Marlin 45-70 and a S&W 460 too. I was hunting in the forest so there wasn't any long shots. I got a 6.5 creedmore for this trip. Some fields at the new place I'm going to. I will keep my shot inside of 300 yards probably even closer if it doesn't fell right I won't shot. I like a clean kill shot. Get the 300 Win Mag anyway take both so you have a back up gun, never know what might happen. I had fell and knock my scope off and missed a nice one shot over its back. Here is their web site cpw.state.co.us You will need a hunter education certification card must carry with you unless you were born before January 1, 1949.

Do any of you have any experience with elk hunting in Colorado of Montana? I feel the call of the mountains, and am listening for the bugle of an elk. My brother and I are thinking of a good hunting trip out west.
I'm originally from Montana and have hunted extensively there. Haven't lived there in 15 years 🤣 and miss it like crazy. At this point in time, start planning a hunt for next year. Drawings are over. You might get lucky and get an OTC tag, but those are rare. It is nearly all drawing now, for deer as well as elk. I didn't get the luck of the draw this year, so I'm heading back for some upland bird hunting with some friends. Here is the website so you can start planning a hunt. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
Myself and a couple old friends had cow tags up in The Breaks last year, and as fate would have it, early snow hit up there, then melted off. It was a muddy mess and hunter success was really poor. Hunting has gotten pretty crowded on public lands that are easily accessible.

Regards,
Bill

I'm originally from Montana and have hunted extensively there. Haven't lived there in 15 years 🤣 and miss it like crazy. At this point in time, start planning a hunt for next year. Drawings are over. You might get lucky and get an OTC tag, but those are rare. It is nearly all drawing now, for deer as well as elk. I didn't get the luck of the draw this year, so I'm heading back for some upland bird hunting with some friends. Here is the website so you can start planning a hunt. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
Myself and a couple old friends had cow tags up in The Breaks last year, and as fate would have it, early snow hit up there, then melted off. It was a muddy mess and hunter success was really poor. Hunting has gotten pretty crowded on public lands that are easily accessible.

Regards,
Bill
Y'all miss out on getting drawn you can always come to Texas and hunt hogs year-round.

Back