testtest

Hunting with a Suppressor

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
For the hunter, it is of critical importance to have a suppressor that can maintain absolute accuracy and precise repeatability when it is installed on your rifle.

Hunting with a Suppressor

hunting-glassing-suppressor.jpg

ATF Form 1 $200 tax stamp build your own Suppressor (or SBR) approvals are running around 2-3 weeks avg on the Efile system thru the ATF.

Note: read thoroughly the ATF regs and make yourself aware of ATF form 1 legalities. Such as, “ you cannot drill out any parts UNTIL APPROVED by the ATF and a Tax Stamp, among other regs.

Why use a suppressor hunting? It does not silence or suppress sound much at all. I heard a 300 black out sound like a loud 22. I do not understand and I am open for input.

Ok I read the article. Shoud have done that first but..now I have different yet the same question.
Do they muffle enough not to wear ear protection? Are they quiet enough at 300 yards not to disturb the herd?
Do you agree with the writers view or experience?

Last edited:
Why use a suppressor hunting? It does not silence or suppress sound much at all. I heard a 300 black out sound like a loud 22. I do not understand and I am open for input.

Ok I read the article. Shoud have done that first but..now I have different yet the same question.
Do they muffle enough not to wear ear protection? Are they quiet enough at 300 yards not to disturb the herd?
Do you agree with the writers view or experience?
Q1 - they muffle enough based on caliber. A .22 usually needs no ear protection. My .308 I still need the cheap orange foam inserts, but can get by without if only shooting once. Also depends on quality of suppressor and ammo type
Q2 - yes, I have not had other animals run away that were around 75-100 yards out when dropping a hog, but depends on the suppressor quality / caliber
Q3- yes and no

Guess I am ignorant on the topic, or do not understand the article.

1. I'm not going without hearing protection, even one shot (BB gun excepted) unless the arm is silenced.

2. Why only suppressed rather than silenced?

3. Mr. Killer, if you have hearing handicap such as I do, you would not be without ear protection firing a .22 cal.!!

4. To H*** with "disturbing" the herd, it's the ringing in my ears that I'm protecting.

5. So again, why go only suppressed if you can go silenced??

Why don't you contact them with that question.

Just got off the phone; Mark had another person with him on the hunt (Idaho).
And yes, they packed the Bull out, took them two days.

If I had not had an appointment, I would have inquired about my other questions posted.

Guess I am ignorant on the topic, or do not understand the article.

1. I'm not going without hearing protection, even one shot (BB gun excepted) unless the arm is silenced.

2. Why only suppressed rather than silenced?

3. Mr. Killer, if you have hearing handicap such as I do, you would not be without ear protection firing a .22 cal.!!

4. To H*** with "disturbing" the herd, it's the ringing in my ears that I'm protecting.

5. So again, why go only suppressed if you can go silenced??
Suppressors can reduce the noise level to that of a normal voice or less, depending on suppressor. So yes , you can still use them , yes animals can hear them like your voice depending on model, no they wont ruin your hearing unless the nagging of someone has ruined your hearing

Just got off the phone; Mark had another person with him on the hunt (Idaho).
And yes, they packed the Bull out, took them two days.

If I had not had an appointment, I would have inquired about my other questions posted.
It is against the law in all the Western states that I know of to "not" bring the meat out of the woods.

Only unethical hunters (some get caught & prosecuted) just bring the antlers/horns out, as well as pouchers that just want to sell the heads to large sporting goods store chains, or to sell to the Chicoms.

Some call them silencers (movie term) and some call them suppressors, which is more scientifically correct.

Decibel levels vary depending on the cartridge being used. Example: .22lr vs 338 Win Mag will have different decibel levels.
Thanks Talyn, your expertise is a notch above Killer, or perhaps you are more willing to share it.

Back