testtest

Hunting with copper rounds

I just couldn't get all-coppers to group out of any of my big game rifles. Even changing the powder loads and using different primers didn't help. Just crappy, crappy groups.

However, I now use all-copper Barnes ammo in my XDS 9mm. Shoot very nicely.

Thanks for the enjoyable video Benstt, was a very good visit across the pond.
On the brass and copper ammo? Off the wall thoughts on metals some may need to be wary of? Am thinking some people tend to think lead free means completely lead free just because something says it's brass or copper w/o knowing some differences. Not all copper and brass are created equal when it comes to alloys or mixtures of them. Color can be an important clue in what's what and from where sometimes.

If and when trying to go lead free, some may be surprised that lead can actually be a part of the scenario of brass and copper alloys at a reduced rate. Other things contained in some alloys may be surprising as well? There is some metallurgy involved on why depending on what results are sought.

The fairly interesting article below explains some of it:

Thanks for the enjoyable video Benstt, was a very good visit across the pond.
On the brass and copper ammo? Off the wall thoughts on metals some may need to be wary of? Am thinking some people tend to think lead free means completely lead free just because something says it's brass or copper w/o knowing some differences. Not all copper and brass are created equal when it comes to alloys or mixtures of them. Color can be an important clue in what's what and from where sometimes.

If and when trying to go lead free, some may be surprised that lead can actually be a part of the scenario of brass and copper alloys at a reduced rate. Other things contained in some alloys may be surprising as well? There is some metallurgy involved on why depending on what results are sought.

The fairly interesting article below explains some of it:

That’s a good article on metals but as in brass ammo, there is none, that I’m aware of. Brass casings, yes. Nickel plated casing, yes. Regarding copper ammo, I like it and have had good success with it. Barnes and Underwood to name a couple.

I've never had better precision out of my 30.06 than with 168gr Barnes TSXs. It's something to behold. And I load them HOT so there's no worry about not expanding if I have to reach out a ways. I use 165gr GMXs for my Victor .308 and that sucker is lethal in the 150 or less yard distances I use it for. It's nowhere near as precise as a good bolt action but it definitely shoots minute of deer. The damage it inflicts is pretty damn serious, more so than the 165gr SSTs I was using before.

That’s a good article on metals but as in brass ammo, there is none, that I’m aware of. Brass casings, yes. Nickel plated casing, yes. Regarding copper ammo, I like it and have had good success with it. Barnes and Underwood to name a couple.

Thanks BangBang. Thought so too. Yup, have good success with many types of ammo and like it too. But, knowing what's what in ammo or other things can be helpful knowing whether using it, thinking about it or avoiding it.

Am not just thinking about ammo either, some people already have a high concentration of lead in their bodies. Some from ammo, some from other things. Avoidance of lead for some people in any form possible, actually really anyone, is a key worth knowing.

Knowing where to find lead to possibly avoid it can be good knowing. Much of avoidance is in what form, particulate dust is likely the worst, is usually quicker into the blood stream. And, how lead's handled is important too. Like many things, how something's handled is important. Just simply washing up can help a lot after handling ammo because of lead in or from some regular ammo.

On lead free ammo actually being lead free? US and likely many other countries likely adhere to copper and brass being lead free if stated and are likely very well aware of the alloys differences. Too much likely at stake if wasn't what stated. But, some other countries may not have the same metal standards is also where was going too.

Brass, copper like many other alloys can take on different characteristics when used in alloys. - Brass, unlike copper, is always an alloy, but what's in an alloy can vary. How some of the ammo shown in article's video being mushroomed in certain ways reminded me of the alloys and how they can react.

Barnes is the only all copper (tip excluded) bullet I've purchased, but yet to load any. The largest cal I have in them are 250gr for 45-70 and 2nd is the 285gr tac-c bt for the 338LM. I hope I can run and gun with the 250s for the sbl.

Back