testtest

I just ate an MRE,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenbones

Master Class
Founding Member
dated from 1994.:eek: This was part of a box of government issue MRE's that I had. It was beef stew and it tasted good, no strange taste that I noticed. The cherry cake dessert was still moist and tasted good. I didn't try the cracker or the peanut butter.

That was about a half an hour ago,(1700 hrs) so it might be too soon tell what my fate might be.😬

dated from 1994.:eek: This was part of a box of government issue MRE's that I had. It was beef stew and it tasted good, no strange taste that I noticed. The cherry cake dessert was still moist and tasted good. I didn't try the cracker or the peanut butter.

That was about a half an hour ago,(1700 hrs) so it might be too soon tell what my fate might be.😬
You'll most likely be fine if everything was sealed tight.

Check out Steve1989mre on YouTube and watch him eat and review MREs from all different countries and year's. For some reason it's oddly entertaining

Last edited:

You should be fine I had an MRE a few years ago dated back from the 80’s it was given to me from an instructor. It was good. Then again I always liked MRE’s and I was fine no troubles.

You are a brave man! I hope everything goes well. I used to feed them to my kids while camping. They got a kick out of them.

I remember when I was a kid (early 90's) my grandfather would bring me MRE's from the Air National Guard base where he worked. These were the old ones in the dark brown bag with such delicacies as potatoes au gratin, chicken ala king, and the sawdust bar. I may have been one of the few kids in basic that were already accustomed to MRE's when they started handing them out. I can't tell you the last time I ate one but I've seen some of the menus have improved.

I reminisce about the days when we used MRE contents as currency in the field. M&M's were worth their weight, Chili Mac was popular, and if you were the poor soul with Skittles begging for a chocolate chip cookie, hope you like tasting the rainbow haha.

Back in the 70's we were given C-Rats left over from WW2/Korea/Nam. The main items were all in small OD green cans that you opened with your P-38. Several of the main entrees were "multi-colored" and full of congealed fat. They kept you going, and I mean that at times when they didn't agree with you they kept you "going".

Then we started getting the Gen-1 MREs and I thought it was like eating at a fancy restaurant compared eating "Rats", but you had to drink lots of water or you were going to get packed up.

Sometimes in camp we had what we called "Hair Nets" which were food-like items in a bag that was cooked in boiling water. That was poured out onto your tray.

Then they finally started contracting out the food service for camp meals, but we always had MREs if we didn't make it back to camp for a day or two.

But we were young and burning so many calories we scarfed anything they gave us down.

The good old days.

Last edited:
I have had this case of MRE's sitting around since '94 for emergencies and with this virus shutting everything down now seems like a good time to start eating them. I was just a little leary of eating something over 20 years old, but they seem good to go.

Dad passed away in November of last year and cleaning out his catchall room we found C Rations and K Rations he had stashed in there. Kept a few things for hunting pack but threw most the stuff in the trash. Just not adventurous as I once was. ;)

Just in case..........

1584839856799.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back