testtest

I think I'm done with Cabela's

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
I went into a Cabela's to get my hunting license this weekend and wandered over to take a look at their pistols. They had a P30L, which I've been looking for for a long time. I asked to take a look at it and it felt great in my hand. I asked if they could take the trigger guard off so I could see how the trigger feels. They refused and told me their corporate policy is the trigger guard never comes off. I won't buy a pistol without getting a sense for how it all feels, so I walked away from the sale. Nothing against their corporate policy, that's their right, but I won't be buying a pistol from them. Much more concerning was watching the clerks and customers looking at pistols. No discipline or concern for safe handling. I watched two guys pointing a handgun the clerk and each other over and over again. The clerk said nothing to them about keeping it pointed in a safe direction. Then THE CLERK started flagging other customers with the handgun after they handed it back. No concern for safe handling. Obviously not following the "assume every gun is loaded" and "don't point at anything you aren't prepared to shoot" commandments. That's a one strike and you're out foul to me. Be safe with the damn gun. No more Cabela's for me.

Completely understand the trigger lock problem, Bass pro has the same policy. I will not buy from them because of it.
My small town local gun store privately owned several years ago had a customer come in asked to look at a shotgun, they handed him the gun he wanted to see he reaching his pocket took out a 12 gauge slug stuck it in the gun then put gun under his chin pulled the trigger.

The owner found out that it happens across America from time to time.
If he knows you you will remove the trigger locks now, but if he does not know you he will not remove them for any amount of money.

Completely understand the trigger lock problem, Bass pro has the same policy. I will not buy from them because of it.
My small town local gun store privately owned several years ago had a customer come in asked to look at a shotgun, they handed him the gun he wanted to see he reaching his pocket took out a 12 gauge slug stuck it in the gun then put gun under his chin pulled the trigger.

The owner found out that it happens across America from time to time.
If he knows you you will remove the trigger locks now, but if he does not know you he will not remove them for any amount of money.
I get that, which is why I don't hold that policy against them I'll just buy from a store that lets me really get a sense for the pistol before I buy it. I would still go to Cabela's for other things were it not for the utter lack of respect for gun safety at the gun counter. Never point a gun at someone. I won't go back there because of that.

Rural King does the same, trigger guard stays on, and in this store, the gun you look at isn’t the one your buying either, you get one from the back inventory, but lots of these practices are in what you call big box stores, I only buy at a gun shop myself

I went into a Cabela's to get my hunting license this weekend and wandered over to take a look at their pistols. They had a P30L, which I've been looking for for a long time. I asked to take a look at it and it felt great in my hand. I asked if they could take the trigger guard off so I could see how the trigger feels. They refused and told me their corporate policy is the trigger guard never comes off. I won't buy a pistol without getting a sense for how it all feels, so I walked away from the sale. Nothing against their corporate policy, that's their right, but I won't be buying a pistol from them. Much more concerning was watching the clerks and customers looking at pistols. No discipline or concern for safe handling. I watched two guys pointing a handgun the clerk and each other over and over again. The clerk said nothing to them about keeping it pointed in a safe direction. Then THE CLERK started flagging other customers with the handgun after they handed it back. No concern for safe handling. Obviously not following the "assume every gun is loaded" and "don't point at anything you aren't prepared to shoot" commandments. That's a one strike and you're out foul to me. Be safe with the damn gun. No more Cabela's for me.
I think a lot of mom and pop shops due to their size and the much more closely held liability would have a healthier respect for gun safety. Sorry for your bad experience.

When I bought my Beretta, the only place I could find it was at Cabela's - a 2-1/2 hour drive from where I lived.

The salesman took the trigger guard off and allowed me to pull the trigger while the gun was pointed into a device for safely discharging a gun. I didn't mind that, because at least they had a way to let me try out the trigger. And they sold me the gun I actually tried out at the counter.

I've since found a gun shop close to where I live that sometimes has my Beretta in stock.

I bought a lot of guns from Cabelas, even though I had to drive 90 or so minutes to the nearest one...

When I had a good friend who worked there "bird dogging" them for me. When something came in he knew I'd be interested in, he'd let me know...and I'd go up and get a pretty good deal.

I remember that either Bass Pro or Cabela's had a customer commit suicide at the gun counter with some ammo he took off the shelf. Apparently he asked to see the gun, loaded it and offed himself in front of the clerk. A local indoor shooting range on 2 separate occasions had 2 guys rent guns to shoot and instead of shooting at targets shot themselves. There was talk about passing a bill in Virginia to require ranges to do background checks on those renting guns to shoot, but I'm not sure if it was passed. The quality of Cabela's merchandise is no where near what it used to be.

I see two sides of the coin here. Sales clerks are not necessarily proficient nor perhaps even enthusiasts, but the lack of requirements/protocol/discipline for safety by the store is inexcusable.

I never ask and even if permitted have a personal rule never to drop a hammer/striker, even on an empty chamber, except on the range or in my home.

There's a lot of reasons why I am done with Cabelas/Bass Pro. Occasionally you can get a good deal on ammo on-line, other than that I will pass. Everything they have is way overpriced and the last 2 times I was in there the place was flooded with hood rats who's "Buddy" was buying one of the 9s off the used wall. Obviously some straw buying going on. They just sold them the guns.

Could have saved you the trouble on the P30L trigger though. It's not good. You will want to send it to Grayguns or someone immediately. If you don't believe me, ask @HansGruber

It would be better for everybody, except maybe your pocketbook, if folks would shop for a gun at a local gun store.
Mine is happy to handle transfers for me. Most of the stuff I buy isn't stuff you normally find on the wall at your LGS. Half of the time these guys are waiting for me to come get it so they can check it out when i take it out of the box. I do buy normal stuff from them though. I bought a Kimber, an XD Mod 2, a Shield .45, an EZ .380 and a VP9 from them over the last few years.

Rural King does the same, trigger guard stays on, and in this store, the gun you look at isn’t the one your buying either, you get one from the back inventory, but lots of these practices are in what you call big box stores, I only buy at a gun shop myself
I kind of like the idea of not buying the gun everyone has handled but I will inspect the gun from inventory before I buy it. When I bought guns in Texas (Academy Sports) the salesman would walk them out of the store to your car, I thought that kind of strange at first but when I asked why they do that I was told they don’t want someone buying a gun then before leaving the store load it and go on a shooting spree.

When I bought guns in Texas (Academy Sports) the salesman would walk them out of the store to your car, I thought that kind of strange at first but when I asked why they do that I was told they don’t want someone buying a gun then before leaving the store load it and go on a shooting spree.
So much for doing the background check. I guess Academy Sports doesn't put a lot of faith in the government's stamp of approval!

So much for doing the background check. I guess Academy Sports doesn't put a lot of faith in the government's stamp of approval!
Well down in Texas and as I found out two weeks ago here in Kentucky with a new valid CCDW they don’t do a background check. I just bought my Gen5 40S&W and walked out with no background check, I was told a new CCDW will allow that.

I kind of like the idea of not buying the gun everyone has handled but I will inspect the gun from inventory before I buy it. When I bought guns in Texas (Academy Sports) the salesman would walk them out of the store to your car, I thought that kind of strange at first but when I asked why they do that I was told they don’t want someone buying a gun then before leaving the store load it and go on a shooting spree.
Reason I know this is I worked there for awhile in the gun department, but got tired of customers bitching cause they couldn’t try out the triggers and didn’t get the gun they were looking at, plus some other practices I didn’t care for.

Back