testtest

I want a musket

My favorite era in all of history is colonial America and in particular the mid 18th century to the 1830s.

Rifles are more American than apple pie and while a musket isn't a rifle it's still part of the history.

I am currently building a Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifle from a Traditions but am wondering where else I could get musket kits as an original I'm sure would be way out of my price range. Brown Bess, Charleville or even the iconic blunderbuss (iconic as in early colonial America).

I noticed most of the kits for muskets are double those of rifles. I did find a few through Traditions but was wondering what else was out there
Picture is an original Long rifle with tiger maple stock and percussion cap

IMG_20220423_142434560_HDR.jpg

There were some Japanese Brown besses circa 1976 floating around you could sometimes find reasonable. They came over during the bicentennial craze, my what a time for those Era products, the golden days. Been a while since I saw one.

There used to be some decent Northwest trade gun kits out there. But they are scarce and as you mention they can be real pricey.

Most people tend to build thiers from parts these days. Track of the wolf is a good source for building materials, both actual parts and good plans and instruction. Also do not ignore old timey mom and pop muzzleloading shops, you can find gems in them.

Some of the old time muzzleloader shops will actually have classes. Pay x amount and thier smith will walk you through. At the end you are guaranteed a working gun of your selection.

Also, don't get stuck on just brown besses if yoy want military, the Charleville French Muskets and replicas are out there too.
I really want to get a kit if I can find them but if not a complete gun would suffice.

As for originals it would only ever be a wall hanger. Couldn't imagine destroying or damaging such a piece of history

There were some Japanese Brown besses circa 1976 floating around you could sometimes find reasonable. They came over during the bicentennial craze, my what a time for those Era products, the golden days. Been a while since I saw one.

There used to be some decent Northwest trade gun kits out there. But they are scarce and as you mention they can be real pricey.

Most people tend to build thiers from parts these days. Track of the wolf is a good source for building materials, both actual parts and good plans and instruction. Also do not ignore old timey mom and pop muzzleloading shops, you can find gems in them.

Some of the old time muzzleloader shops will actually have classes. Pay x amount and thier smith will walk you through. At the end you are guaranteed a working gun of your selection.
I had no idea that ToW had plans until you said something. I'm also seeing a lot of other topics that interest me like tempering springs, stock making etc

Has one of the Japanese Besses for 800 bucks. Best price I have seen in a while.

If it was me I might go the canoe trade gun route, here is a kit or in the in the white build. In the white meaning all built but you have to tear it apart and finish the gun to your taste. Which is in all reality similarcto the vast majority of kits by Lyman and others. There is little to fit or carve.

I have been thinking about a canoe gun for a while, would be light and fun on primitive treks.

Last edited:
I guess first question to ask yourself is how much you want to do, on what can turn into an expensive disaster.

1. Do you want to final inlet locks and barrel? Do you want to inlet all other stock items and cut and fit slots for barrel hardware like sights and tenons. Perhaps even have to drill the ramrod channel. And then final shape and contour the stock.

2. Or do you basically want to finish the rifle like most kits we see in magazines and stores. These are kits like traditions, lymans and others. They are basically all ready to put together with minimal tools and complete refinishing of wood and metal. This type of kit is basically what custom builders sell as in the white.

This was my first foray I to number one and took me over 2 years working occasionally and it's still not finished. It started with a mess of parts bought separately, a stick blank that needed all inletting, and a barrel blank.

20210702_190557.jpg

Last edited:
A good book on the general complete process is Building the Kentucky longrifle.

Honestly, if I do a canoe gun, it's going to be in the white. The other is quite overwhelming at times. Great sense of personal accomplishment, but scary lol when you realize one mistake can mean starting over. Several nights I just sat there going oh crap oh crap can I fix that..

Last edited:
Another caution - under NO circumstances, buy an India made musket. Usually, these arms are priced about half of what a good, sound Italian or even a Japanese musket costs. Granted, the price is appealing but there are quite a number of reports of barrels splitting causing injury or death to the shooter…and those around him/her!!!

These muskets are classified as “wall hangers” ONLY!!

Back