testtest

I'm having a month of front sights

HayesGreener

Hellcat
First thing that happens is the front sight falls off my Sig P220 .45 and is lost. Trijicon is sending a new one, so I am waiting. In the meanwhile, I am carrying and shooting the 68 Colt Commander that was given to me by a friend, along with a Colt Gold Cup National Match. He is a very good friend. I have been updating the Commander with beavertail, ambidextrous safety, and mag grips, and had the frame Cerecoated. I am fine with shooting and carrying the Commander, but I love shooting the 70's era Gold Cup so have been running it through its paces. First thing I discover is the slide lock is broken, so I order a new one along with new recoil and hammer springs. It was running like a champ Tuesday, and dang this is one accurate pistol. I was shooting the heart out of the target, right up till I noticed the front sight was missing. Yes, the staked front sight just fell out and of course is lost. It is the older type staked front sight so they are hard to find. Yesterday I took the Gold Cup to a gunsmith to have a dovetail milled into the slide and a dovetail front sight installed, two weeks' time estimate for return. So, I am down to the Commander for shooting my LEOSA qualification next Thursday. I will be OK, but not the gun that I shoot best.

Both the Sig and the Gold Cup are high quality guns, but things can break on any of them. I was just reminded that one should not carry a gun that you have not been shooting a lot to be sure it is functional, or you just could be disappointed in your next gun fight.

First thing that happens is the front sight falls off my Sig P220 .45 and is lost. Trijicon is sending a new one, so I am waiting. In the meanwhile, I am carrying and shooting the 68 Colt Commander that was given to me by a friend, along with a Colt Gold Cup National Match. He is a very good friend. I have been updating the Commander with beavertail, ambidextrous safety, and mag grips, and had the frame Cerecoated. I am fine with shooting and carrying the Commander, but I love shooting the 70's era Gold Cup so have been running it through its paces. First thing I discover is the slide lock is broken, so I order a new one along with new recoil and hammer springs. It was running like a champ Tuesday, and dang this is one accurate pistol. I was shooting the heart out of the target, right up till I noticed the front sight was missing. Yes, the staked front sight just fell out and of course is lost. It is the older type staked front sight so they are hard to find. Yesterday I took the Gold Cup to a gunsmith to have a dovetail milled into the slide and a dovetail front sight installed, two weeks' time estimate for return. So, I am down to the Commander for shooting my LEOSA qualification next Thursday. I will be OK, but not the gun that I shoot best.

Both the Sig and the Gold Cup are high quality guns, but things can break on any of them. I was just reminded that one should not carry a gun that you have not been shooting a lot to be sure it is functional, or you just could be disappointed in your next gun fight.
Just shows you shoot enough you don't need sights. Just point and click!

Your "next" gun fight.......
How many gun fights have you been in?

I had to go there. LOL

I had a 1975 gold cup I bought used from a Colt distributor, accurate as all hell, couple years later after many rounds, me and the wife was out at my range, I loaded up a mag with Winchester 185gr fmc match ammo, you can’t get that now , took a shot and gun went full auto, ok, woke me up, tried it again, full auto. The two piece sear broke, so I had it repaired but I had my smith install a regular government model one piece sear and you could just barely tell by the trigger pull it didn’t have the two piece one in it. Great gun, still love Colt 1911’s.

Winchester 185gr fmc match ammo, you can’t get that now , The two piece sear broke, so I had it repaired but I had my smith install a regular government model one piece sear and you could just barely tell by the trigger pull it didn’t have the two piece one in it. Great gun, still love Colt 1911’s.
Winchester and Remington both used to offer the 185gr FMJ SWC, now Federal is the only offering it and I haven't seen any of that in over a year. Many of the Bullseye shooters use the Atlanta Arms 185gr JHP ammo, it is about 800 fps and closely matches the "USMC Match target load" with a 185 gr Nosler Custom Competion bullet with ~ 4.1 grains of N310 powder.

I don't remember the Gold Cup having a two piece sear, I know they did have sear with a second small coil spring that the government/commander models didn't have and an additional sear depressor lever to increase sear engagement.
(I don't believe the current production Gold Cups have the sear with spring or the deppressor)

Winchester and Remington both used to offer the 185gr FMJ SWC, now Federal is the only offering it and I haven't seen any of that in over a year. Many of the Bullseye shooters use the Atlanta Arms 185gr JHP ammo, it is about 800 fps and closely matches the "USMC Match target load" with a 185 gr Nosler Custom Competion bullet with ~ 4.1 grains of N310 powder.

I don't remember the Gold Cup having a two piece sear, I know they did have sear with a second small coil spring that the government/commander models didn't have and an additional sear depressor lever to increase sear engagement.
(I don't believe the current production Gold Cups have the sear with spring or the deppressor)
Yea, older gold cups two piece sear with the spring, newer ones plain single sear, the sear depressor was the second piece along with the spring, usually shooting ball ammo in older cups was a no no, that’s what caused them to break

1665099590413.jpeg

Back