testtest

IMI 9mm DieCut JHP?

Jfal

Professional
Anyone have experience with this ammo? I see it available for $479/case, which is WAY lower than any JHP 9mm carry ammo I use. Currently carrying Sig 124grain V-Crown...but it costs twice as much as the IMI die-cut. Haven't seen Paul Harrel shoot meat targets with the IMI...you guys shoot any water jugs to see the expansion of the IMI?

I bought a few hundred rounds of IMI Di-cut from Midway USA last summer on a birthday special for around $13 a box just for plinking.

It feeds and functions well out of the 4 or so firearms I used it in so I have no complaints about it.

As for using it for self defense rounds I don't think it will take the place of a more established JHP like the Federal HST as the IMI Di-cut isn't known to be an expanding hollow point.

I bought a few hundred rounds of IMI Di-cut from Midway USA last summer on a birthday special for around $13 a box just for plinking.

It feeds and functions well out of the 4 or so firearms I used it in so I have no complaints about it.

As for using it for self defense rounds I don't think it will take the place of a more established JHP like the Federal HST as the IMI Di-cut isn't known to be an expanding hollow point.
Looking at the 9mm HST today at $2/round...most would say "Is $2 worth your life?", but I tend to shoot my carry rounds as much as I can afford...its a hard pill to swallow.

Looking at the 9mm HST today at $2/round...most would say "Is $2 worth your life?", but I tend to shoot my carry rounds as much as I can afford...its a hard pill to swallow.

I recommend you do a test for POI using a decent range FMJ and your typical carry round for comparison. I'm sure you can find a practice round that hits the same as your carry round and you'll save a ton of money.

I test my carry ammo for POI and function then I shoot range ammo for practice. The MOA at self defense ranges won't even register when using FMJ vs JHP in most circumstances.

Well it isn't the best IMI 9mm ammo for defense. That would be the 124gr+P Black Dot.

IMI 5.56 is clean and as accurate as Lake City. I have no issues with it.

That said, don't cheap out on ammo you are going to use for SD. I carry 124gr. HST in my 9MMs.

Well it isn't the best IMI 9mm ammo for defense. That would be the 124gr+P Black Dot.

IMI 5.56 is clean and as accurate as Lake City. I have no issues with it.

That said, don't cheap out on ammo you are going to use for SD. I carry 124gr. HST in my 9MMs.
Hey Bob, I'm 1/2-way through a case of 5.56 Nato IMI and it's been flawless for me....just looking for opinions on the 9mm ammo found online for an attractive price. No idea if the POA v POI in my gun is even close...and I didn't want to buy a case if it's **** ammo. And I never saw a review on its expansion...comments welcome as always...thanks guys.

Hey Bob, I'm 1/2-way through a case of 5.56 Nato IMI and it's been flawless for me....just looking for opinions on the 9mm ammo found online for an attractive price. No idea if the POA v POI in my gun is even close...and I didn't want to buy a case if it's **** ammo. And I never saw a review on its expansion...comments welcome as always...thanks guys.
It's not **** ammo. If expansion is a primary concern ( and it should be for SD with a 9mm), there are better choices. Including the aforementioned IMI Black Dot. As I said though, it most likely isn't going to match the performance of HST.

It's definitely a quality ammo and you won't have an issue with it function wise.

Last edited:
So, here’s the thing.

At the typical distances most people practice at—that is, 10 yards and closer—there won’t be enough difference in POI between blaster ammo and premium JHP’s that most shooters will be able to tell which is which. Not only that, but I’m willing to bet that, unless you are running some HOT defensive loads (which 124gr V-Crown are definitely not) That most shooters would be able to tell the difference between them and 115gr FMJ if they were given a “blind magazine” test.

Once you’ve vetted your carry ammo for reliability…you really only need to run a mag or two a couple times a year to refresh your carry mags (with a few exceptions, but, let’s not get into the weeds, here).

So, if you really want to know? Buy some of the IMI stuff and test it, and let us know how it works. But, the general consensus is…it’s probably not the necessary, and it probably won’t give good enough results to justify the extra cost over using blasters for training.

Here's a video showing the Di-cut ammo performing pretty well. I have seen other videos and comparison tests showing this ammo not as good as some of the leading brands in terms of expansion. The cost of Di-cut ammo is definitely a lot cheaper than the leading brands though where you get 50 rounds of IMI for pretty much the cost as other leading SD ammo

Anyone have experience with this ammo? I see it available for $479/case, which is WAY lower than any JHP 9mm carry ammo I use. Currently carrying Sig 124grain V-Crown...but it costs twice as much as the IMI die-cut. Haven't seen Paul Harrel shoot meat targets with the IMI...you guys shoot any water jugs to see the expansion of the IMI?
I purchased 2 cans of IMI die cut 9mm about 3 years ago. I found that MOST of my handguns fed it with no problem. The exception was my EMP. It hated the IMI die cut and jammed multiple times.
Everything else seemed to work just fine.

It's not **** ammo. If expansion is a primary concern ( and it should be for SD with a 9mm), there are better choices. Including the aforementioned IMI Black Dot. As I said though, it most likely isn't going to match the performance of HST.
You are correct...I did not mean ****ammo...just referring to expansion. Apologies.

Here's a video showing the Di-cut ammo performing pretty well. I have seen other videos and comparison tests showing this ammo not as good as some of the leading brands in terms of expansion. The cost of Di-cut ammo is definitely a lot cheaper than the leading brands though where you get 50 rounds of IMI for pretty much the cost as other leading SD ammo

Thanks for the video...not a huge fan of gel as a body cavity representation but it does show expansion as intended. Seems that 7-1/2" barrel he used allowed for too much velocity for the 115 grain round. Makes me think I need to buy my own property where I can do this stuff myself. I'll have to look back in Paul's videos to see if I missed a meat target test of this stuff. Plus I'm carrying a 3" barrel and the shortest barrel he tested was 4-1/2".

Back