testtest

Insane day at the range

KLGunner

Staff member
So yesterday I had a very eventful day at the range with a buddy of mine that brought safety home for me. Till yesterday I’ve never had a dangerous day at the range, but the trust in my friend went up ten fold by his reactions. Let me tell you what happened. First while shooting some JHP rounds we had not one but two squibs. First one was obvious we both stopped what we were doing cleared the gun and got the round out of the barrel. Second one wasn’t so obvious at least not to me. Shooting a different gun from the first squib I pulled the trigger saw a flash and thought the round went down range. My buddy yelled out ceasefire. I stopped looked around and cleared my firearm. He told me I had another squib. Sure enough I did this one was a little harder to clear out of the barrel but we got it. Deciding to go onto a different caliber for a little bit we move onto shooting .45’s. While shooting at some action targets my buddy was shooting my XDs .45 mod2 he shot a little bit low on target no big deal till the round came back and hit me in the leg. Thank god there was no penetration but I do have a good bruise on my inner thigh. Totally a fluke accident nothing we could’ve done would’ve avoided it. My buddies reaction surprised me tho (He must have seen the round coming back our direction) he immediately clears the gun sets it down and makes sure I was good. We Analyzed the situation and called it a night. Had that round penetrated it most likely would’ve hit my femoral artery. My takeaway from this whole thing. First make sure you never shoot alone. Take someone you trust to shoot with you (Thankfully I did, this event just affirmed this teaching). Secondly make sure you bring a first aide kit with you. If that would’ve went south I wouldn’t have been prepared (I left my trama kit at home by accident). Be safe y’all.

Another suggestion when going to the range, mine is in a kind of the out of the way area in the country, even though it has electronic locks and gates, your still out there, people do get in one way or the other, I ALWAYS carry my ccw gun in case some yahoo sneaks in and try’s something, if they only see the guns your shooting and not your ccw gun, and if a situation occurs I’m covered, I usually never go alone, I may sound paranoid or something, but in today’s climate as of lately, you can never be to safe, glad your weren’t hurt KL.

Another suggestion when going to the range, mine is in a kind of the out of the way area in the country, even though it has electronic locks and gates, your still out there, people do get in one way or the other, I ALWAYS carry my ccw gun in case some yahoo sneaks in and try’s something, if they only see the guns your shooting and not your ccw gun, and if a situation occurs I’m covered, I usually never go alone, I may sound paranoid or something, but in today’s climate as of lately, you can never be to safe, glad your weren’t hurt KL.
Yea I always have my CCW gun tucked away fully loaded. My range is a cold range tho so they ask members not to do that. All the range officers know me tho so they aren’t worried about me.

Yea I always have my CCW gun tucked away fully loaded. My range is a cold range tho so they ask members not to do that. All the range officers know me tho so they aren’t worried about me.
My range has no range officers, it’s more a club type range, when you there, your on your own, but since it’s only 5 minutes from my home and since I am retired and been a member for 27 years, I don’t have to pay dues anymore, honorary member, now about a hour away, I do have an indoor range, it’s got range officers, it’s run by former law enforcement and military personnel.

My range has no range officers, it’s more a club type range, when you there, your on your own, but since it’s only 5 minutes from my home and since I am retired and been a member for 27 years, I don’t have to pay dues anymore, honorary member, now about a hour away, I do have an indoor range, it’s got range officers, it’s run by former law enforcement and military personnel.
Mines a club range and is out in the sticks but we do have range officers. However they aren’t always on location. Actually more often then not they aren’t on location.

Medical kit is in my truck, but I think I’ll put it in my backpack since sometime we take the 4 wheeler.

good advice KL. Glad you weren't hurt seriously !
Really glad you’re ok KL That’s the most important part of the story. I also carry a 1st Aid kit in the truck.
I remember shooting in Texas out in the sticks. Heard one bounce off a metal plate and buzz by my head. I was alone that day, shook me up I called it a day.
You never know.

Thanks for sharing. Was it reloads, just curious and was it the XDS? It’s good to post this to make others aware. Glad you are not seriously hurt. Check your barrel for any bulges.

Thanks for sharing. Was it reloads, just curious and was it the XDS? It’s good to post this to make others aware. Glad you are not seriously hurt. Check your barrel for any bulges.
No they were factory loads. It was two different guns the Hellcat and the XD-M Elite. It’s my belief they were primer only loads. Not confirmed I’m talking to manufacture about it.

Back