testtest

Is a .410 Adequate for Home Defense? Testing the Henry Axe .410

I have a .410 Mossberg Shockwave; using 4 or 5 pellet OOO loads, it would be more than adequate, imho. It did incredibly well with the Federal hardened & plated pellets, keeping all pellets on a silhouette target at 25 yards...march farther than a realistic HD distance would be.

I still think a .410 Saiga with a 30 or 50 round drum would rule the roost, shotgun-wise...

I have a .410 Mossberg Shockwave; using 4 or 5 pellet OOO loads, it would be more than adequate, imho. It did incredibly well with the Federal hardened & plated pellets, keeping all pellets on a silhouette target at 25 yards...march farther than a realistic HD distance would be.

I still think a .410 Saiga with a 30 or 50 round drum would rule the roost, shotgun-wise...
Thanks Hans, I've been hunting for one of those 410 Shockwaves, but so far, it's a no go. Whenever I ask at LGSs, I get "good luck with that" :(

Thanks Hans, I've been hunting for one of those 410 Shockwaves, but so far, it's a no go. Whenever I ask at LGSs, I get "good luck with that" :(

That‘s too bad...may be worth buying off Davidson’s, or something like that.

I was very pleased with its performance; that Federal OOO load was the best performer, but Hornacy’s Critical Defense 115gr slug/3 pellet combo did good, too. Winchester’s PDX1 Disc/pellet load, however, was terrible.

That‘s too bad...may be worth buying off Davidson’s, or something like that.

I was very pleased with its performance; that Federal OOO load was the best performer, but Hornacy’s Critical Defense 115gr slug/3 pellet combo did good, too. Winchester’s PDX1 Disc/pellet load, however, was terrible.
I'll eventually get there. One LGS told me that his distributors informed them that all major shotgun makes (Mossberg, Remington, etc), would not be available to them until early 2021 at the earliest.
There are other firearms on "my list" that are out there beckoning me.

Would you settle for a Saiga 12 with a 25 round drum?

It would be a great gun for shooting clay's if it would cycle birdshot consistently...😜

Screenshot_20200827-150456_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Would you settle for a Saiga 12 with a 25 round drum?

It would be a great gun for shooting clay's if it would cycle birdshot consistently...😜

View attachment 9469

I would definitely consider it in the running...I’m also looking at the recoil part of the equation, too...and pretty much any shooter can handle the .410.

But that’s a whole lotta bad news to the receiver, for darn certain.

A shoulder fired weapon is ALWAYS a bad idea for home defense UNLESS a person KNOWS he'll be able to remain stationary. If you have to move within a home with a bad guy at an unknown location therein, a shoulder fired weapon becomes a HUGE LIABILITY. It would become an invitation for a bad guy to easily take from a good guy. If a person has to check on other loved ones within his home, my advice is a handgun kept at hip point position.

Forget shoulder fired weapons for home defense. Go with a Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto and sleep comfortably.

A shoulder fired weapon is ALWAYS a bad idea for home defense UNLESS a person KNOWS he'll be able to remain stationary. If you have to move within a home with a bad guy at an unknown location therein, a shoulder fired weapon becomes a HUGE LIABILITY. It would become an invitation for a bad guy to easily take from a good guy. If a person has to check on other loved ones within his home, my advice is a handgun kept at hip point position.

Forget shoulder fired weapons for home defense. Go with a Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto and sleep comfortably.

I beg to differ I prefer a shoulder fired weapon to keep the baddies at bay.

Plus it doubles as a great chipmunk deterrent...😜
20200827_171909.jpg

10mmLife,

How many points does a chipmunk have to have before they're legal in your big game unit? My tag is good for 4 point 'munks or better. We call in Howitzer strikes on 'e.m ;-)

Jackalopes require an A-15 Strike Eagle.

10mmLife,

How many points does a chipmunk have to have before they're legal in your big game unit? My tag is good for 4 point 'munks or better. We call in Howitzer strikes on 'e.m ;-)

Jackalopes require an A-15 Strike Eagle.
Up here in NH chipmunks grow as big as a buffalo and they are meaner then a rabid honey badger with hemorrhoids....🤣👍

Cool gun @BET7 when are you getting one?

.22plinkster has one of the best channels on YouTube.
@10mmLife, well, I asked about the AXE at my LGS when I picked up my Carcano Calvary Carbine, and unfortunately they didn’t have one in any of the calibers offered. So I was “forced” into buying the below (pictured with Carcano)
CZ SP-01 Shadow 2 Orange, a free S&W “Gun Smarts” kit that includes Ear Muffs, Ear Plugs, Shooting glasses w/ case for any firearm purchase over $500 (Geared towards the first time firearm owner, which I think is a smart marketing move on S&W’s part):
ECD00783-8345-484D-B9DB-70EA0FC04C48.jpeg02180CB1-9D14-4D23-BEAA-19FDD920FF65.jpeg

Carcano Calvary Carbine with & without attached Bayonet Extended.

F1D93348-57E7-4444-88BE-D06939A4ABEF.jpeg72041633-9DAA-4C19-856D-ACA56F067A5A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back