testtest

Is the .40 Dead?

KingDiamond

Operator
Founding Member
For me it's not so much that it's dead or ineffective, it's just that pistols are more widely available in 9 and 45 so i tend to buy those to keep the number of ammo types i own to a minimum.

For me, it's 9mm all the way (or .45). I've always disliked the .40 — whippy recoil, lowish capacity, etc. — and preferred other chamberings. For me, I either wanted a 15+ 9mm or was find carrying a 1911 with 7 or 8 rounds of .45 more than enough. The compromise of the .40 never seemed worth it to me.

1577979027033.jpeg

For me it's not so much that it's dead or ineffective, it's just that pistols are more widely available in 9 and 45 so i tend to buy those to keep the number of ammo types i own to a minimum.
I echo your sentiments. The other issue seems to be more manufacturers are not utilizing the caliber platform as much. 9mm pistols are cheaper and more readily accessible for many people.

Used market won’t be dead for a while with all the PDs and Counties switching to 9mm right now. New market has and will probably continue to slow down.

The .40 will probably be viable for a decade or two. But you are already seeing new models being released without a .40 chambering in the line. I think its main use will be for competition where it is easier to make a major power factor, especially with the recent rule change that major calibers must start with a 4 in the name.

I don't think so. I like 9 and 45 as much as anybody and 9mm ammo is definitely more affordable. But I will always feel my 3.8 XDM40 is an awesome firearm.

I personally like, and prefer, the 40. I think its popularity is just in one of those low cycles that seems to affect most ammo at one time or another.

.40 S&W is just as dead as the .357 Magnum. I enjoy running .40 through my 10mm for practice loads. Less recoil to work with. But then power up to 10mm to keep familiar with the round.

I still shoot 40 cal but as another member said if you shoot a lot to which i do i go 147 9mm 9$ v 13

I find my XD Mod 2 perfectly balanced for range, accuracy, and quick targeting. It's also my every day carry. It doesn't help when the fanboys for 9 and 45 hate on the 40. I've seen so many YouTube videos that are set up to humiliate the 40 on purpose.

I don't think so its just that people shoot 9mm more cause it cheaper ammo and a lot more new shooter getting the 9mm

Eventually the pendulum will swing again and people will stop believing the smallest caliber that allows newer shooters to mag dump the easiest to be the best thing for defense.

Maybe in Law Enforcement, as they are going back to HC 9mm handguns. I own several of both calibers, full size, and sub-compact. I prefer my 40's for protection. The 9 never made the 45 obsolete, and it won't make the 40 obsolete either.

I tend to agree with those that say that .40 isn't dead, more so then it's being supplanted by 9 and 45. However, I actually think it will remain relevant with the 10mm becoming more popular. Since most 10mm will shoot .40, there will be people buying .40 for a long time either because they have a .40 gun, or they have a 10mm and want cheaper ammo to shoot.

Back