testtest

Is Your Carbine’s Zero Wrong?

Talyn

Professional
Founding Member
Ditto. I use the 100 yd zero for MRDs and BUIS for my area. Same with a low-power variable scope but with them I check the BDC impact point out to 200-300.

Beyond that I switch to a longer-range platform.

Bassbob

Professional
I actually did quite a bit of research and asked a good number of my AR owning buddies before I took mine to the range for the first time. I did get other answers but most of them said 50 yards. A few said 36 and a couple said 100.

Ultimately I just may be using the wrong zero. I have a 1x magnified red dot and frankly I don't see me taking any 200 yard shots with it so the 50/200 thing might be a wash. At any rate I have shot it at distances ranging from 25 yards to 100 yards and the POI did not change significantly enough for me to be worried about it. If I was going for real precision there would be a scope on it. And it would be a .308.

I'm using a 50 yd zero for my AR & a 62 gr FMJ round. I recognize the bullet drop data in the article based on my own experiences.

Now I just have to find that perfect zero for my .45 ACP PCC with a 8" barrel, 1:16 twist, firing 230gr FMJ. Since I only plan on using that firearm at short distances (10, 20, 50 yards) I may just set up three targets at those distances, zero at 10, then fire at 20 & 50 to measure drop, then zero at 20 and try 10 & 50 yds to measure rise & drop, then lastly zero at 50 and check rise at 10 & 20. Then...pick one! :D

Bowhunter

Alpha
Founding Member
I have and edge love all my springfeids and45 xds on my edge i use it for home defense what do you recommend on range i should set it.would probably be close range if i had to defend my self been dry firing at 25 feet what do you all think.62 grain green tips

Talyn

Professional
Founding Member
The title is the OP article should be "What is your carbines zero?".

The article doesn't really state that any of the zeros discussed are wrong.

Last edited:
I can go along with the title, because it is a bit of an introspective question. If you're running a 25 yard zero because that's simply what someone told you, is it really the right one for you? That kind of thing.

@Bowhunter, I would zero your rifle to 50 yards, that way you can be within the vital zone of anything from 0-250 yards. If you don't have 50 yards available there's a way to zero at 10 yards to be equivalent to a 50 yard zero.

https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/11/12/frank-proctors-50-yard-zero-at-10-yards/

Bowhunter

Alpha
Founding Member
Saint edge pistol what do you recommend a to zero in at for homedefense love my saint.
I can go along with the title, because it is a bit of an introspective question. If you're running a 25 yard zero because that's simply what someone told you, is it really the right one for you? That kind of thing.

@Bowhunter, I would zero your rifle to 50 yards, that way you can be within the vital zone of anything from 0-250 yards. If you don't have 50 yards available there's a way to zero at 10 yards to be equivalent to a 50 yard zero.

https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/11/12/frank-proctors-50-yard-zero-at-10-yards/

Mr. Untactical

Operator
Founding Member
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Is Your Carbine’s Zero Wrong? and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-your-carbines-zero-wrong/.

What a timely article - my AR-556 w/Primary Arms red dot was zeroed at 25 yards. We went to the range yesterday and I was WAY high at 100 yards (and high at 50 as well). The gentleman we were with who has much more long gun experience than us recommended re-zeroing to 50 yards. Did that - worked a charm! Still need a lot of practice - especially since I'm math-challenged. But based on initial results, the 50-yard zero is going to be much better for us... at least for now (y)