testtest

Jamming/Ejection issues / Firing Pin Retaining Pin installed improperly?

ddeuce22

Professional
Hey guys, So I had the .308 out at the range today and after about 15 rounds it started having jamming issues. First the spent casing didn't eject. It took a good amount of force to pull the charging handle back and get it to eject, but it did. The next round chambered, but did not fire. Again, very difficult to eject with the handle. This happened for about 4 more rounds so I packed it and called it a day for this rifle. Since I got it back in February i've put maybe 40 rounds total through it, plus the 15 today. I shot it out of the box on the initial 40 just to sight in the irons and see what she was all about and it had zero issues. I figured maybe it was just dirty/dry so I separated upper and lower. The BCG was tough to pull out. (Ammo used was Federal and Winchester 149gr FMJ)

Here is where i'm a bit confused or unsure if this is normal. This is the first time im taking it apart and the firing pin retaining pin looks like it was inserted the wrong way compared to any other AR i've taken apart or seen taken apart in a video. There is no loop to grab it from or to take it out. It's like they inserted the loop end into the carrier and left the split pin end exposed, to which I cannot for the life of me grab it or pull it out. Here's some pictures, Is it just me, or is this something I need to warranty? I can't clean this thing because of this and its just absolutely not functioning because it looks like it needs to be cleaned and lubed.

PXL_20210328_053605391.jpg

PXL_20210328_053622980.jpg

Hey guys, So I had the .308 out at the range today and after about 15 rounds it started having jamming issues. First the spent casing didn't eject. It took a good amount of force to pull the charging handle back and get it to eject, but it did. The next round chambered, but did not fire. Again, very difficult to eject with the handle. This happened for about 4 more rounds so I packed it and called it a day for this rifle. Since I got it back in February i've put maybe 40 rounds total through it, plus the 15 today. I shot it out of the box on the initial 40 just to sight in the irons and see what she was all about and it had zero issues. I figured maybe it was just dirty/dry so I separated upper and lower. The BCG was tough to pull out. (Ammo used was Federal and Winchester 149gr FMJ)

Here is where i'm a bit confused or unsure if this is normal. This is the first time im taking it apart and the firing pin retaining pin looks like it was inserted the wrong way compared to any other AR i've taken apart or seen taken apart in a video. There is no loop to grab it from or to take it out. It's like they inserted the loop end into the carrier and left the split pin end exposed, to which I cannot for the life of me grab it or pull it out. Here's some pictures, Is it just me, or is this something I need to warranty? I can't clean this thing because of this and its just absolutely not functioning because it looks like it needs to be cleaned and lubed.

View attachment 16272

View attachment 16274
Looks normal to me but your comment about this being the first time you took your AR apart tells me you never disassemble the rifle to clean and oil it before shooting it. AR’s like to run wet, I’m not saying dripping oil but require a fair amount of oil to run properly.
Did you read the owners manual? It tells you how to take your BCG apart.
Also make sure you put it back together correctly or the results could be catastrophic. If you don’t know what you’re doing ask a professional and or take a course on AR maintenance.

It's only normal if it's a " Perma pin" and even then it's sticking way too far out of the carrier. Look at the other side of that hole on the carrier. If you see a flat, round head tucked into the hole it's a " Perma pin. You should be able to use a punch to lightly tap the retainer out. Go from the side you show in your picture and push the pin out the other side.

Before you start, if you would, take a picture of what that hole looks like right now on the other side of the carrier.

It's only normal if it's a " Perma pin" and even then it's sticking way too far out of the carrier. Look at the other side of that hole on the carrier. If you see a flat, round head tucked into the hole it's a " Perma pin. You should be able to use a punch to lightly tap the retainer out. Go from the side you show in your picture and push the pin out the other side.

Before you start, if you would, take a picture of what that hole looks like right now on the other side of the carrier.

That's the otherside of the carrier. If it seems a bit too far out its because i pushed that block in a bit trying to making it stick out enough so i could pull it out.
PXL_20210328_053610933.jpg

That's the otherside of the carrier. If it seems a bit too far out its because i pushed that block in a bit trying to making it stick out enough so i could pull it out.
View attachment 16275

You're pushing it out the wrong way. Like I said, throw that thing in the garbage can and get a regular cotter pin retainer. Then clean and lube your rifle and go back to the range. Keep us posted.

Well, running into another issue now. When i'm reassembling the BCG it says to insert the cam pin and then rotate it 90 degrees. If I do that the hole for the firing pin will no longer be lined up, and ill be unable to secure the firing pin properly. (did not have this issue with my M400 Tread)

If I do not rotate the cam pin 90 degrees, everything fits just fine.
I guess my question is, is this safe? is it sometimes normal for parts to not match what the manual shows? Seems to be a trend here for this .308 Saint Victor. It's honestly driving me a bit batty.

Hoping this is just something dumb im overlooking here.

Last edited:
Well, running into another issue now. When i'm reassembling the BCG it says to insert the cam pin and then rotate it 90 degrees. If I do that the hole for the firing pin will no longer be lined up, and ill be unable to secure the firing pin properly. (did not have this issue with my M400 Tread)

If I do not rotate the cam pin 90 degrees, everything fits just fine.
I guess my question is, is this safe? is it sometimes normal for parts to not match what the manual shows? Seems to be a trend here for this .308 Saint Victor. It's honestly driving me a bit batty.

Hoping this is just something dumb im overlooking here.
It is. There's a hole in the cam pin that the firing pin sits in so it can't fall out. Most BCGs you can't get the cam in the hole when it is lined up properly, you have to rotate it 90 degrees to get it in it's slot, then rotate it back. In any event, the hole in the cam pin needs to be oriented so that the firing pin goes through it. After assembly you should be able to pull on the extractor and watch the bolt come out and rotate.

It's reassembled now and the trigger seems to be seized. BCG seems to be fine, charging handle fine, I can lock the bolt back and slide it forward with the bolt lock/release. Trigger does not pull, this happened at the range yesterday and I just assumed it was from the jams/needing to be cleaned. I think I have a major issue on my hands.

It's reassembled now and the trigger seems to be seized. BCG seems to be fine, charging handle fine, I can lock the bolt back and slide it forward with the bolt lock/release. Trigger does not pull, this happened at the range yesterday and I just assumed it was from the jams/needing to be cleaned. I think I have a major issue on my hands.
I assume the safety is not engaged ?

Honestly I think you should take it to a competent local gun smith and have him/her inspect it and see if there is a problem. If there is you can rest your worried mind since SA is really on top of customer service.
I also suggest having a more experienced friend spend some time showing you how ARs work and how to fields strip them. Or at least watch a bunch of videos on YouTube.

Have you opened the lower to see if the trigger works without the upper attached? You can push the hammer back into the firing position, though I do advise you do not dry fire the hammer into the receiver as you can damage the receiver. You can depress the trigger and ride the hammer with your other hand to check function.

Back