testtest

Just got my first shotgun

ddeuce22

Professional
Lots of gun discussions on these forums but I rarely see any mention of, or pictures of shotguns. I've shot trap a handful of times and have been wanting to shoot more trap/skeet so I finally picked up my first shotgun.

Mossberg 500 American Field 12 GA 28". She's a beaut. Can't sneak it in the house yet because she will kill me lmfao. Pics to come.

What do you guys shoot for skeet/trap? Shotgun ammo is something I have very basic knowledge of so i'm wondering what you guys use/recommend.

Lots of gun discussions on these forums but I rarely see any mention of, or pictures of shotguns. I've shot trap a handful of times and have been wanting to shoot more trap/skeet so I finally picked up my first shotgun.

Mossberg 500 American Field 12 GA 28". She's a beaut. Can't sneak it in the house yet because she will kill me lmfao. Pics to come.

What do you guys shoot for skeet/trap? Shotgun ammo is something I have very basic knowledge of so i'm wondering what you guys use/recommend.
7 1/2 or 8

Not a shot gunner here, but it would be nice to have more threads and pics of members shotguns

I have an idea how you can calm your wife down when she finds out you bought a shotgun. Show her this link and tell her this is the gun everyone you know recommended to you.

After that buying the Mossberg will make you seem frugal. ;-)

I wasn't suggesting you buy it brother, I was suggesting you use it as a distraction for your wife from the $500-ish you spent on the Mossberg.

That Benelli or a very similar Benelli will be my next gun though, for the record.
Nothing wrong with those Bob !
I am kinda intrigued by the Mossberg Retro something-or-other that I’ve briefly noticed advertised. ( I’m afraid to look into it too far, cause…well…y’all know what tends to happen next. Ka-chinggg !)

I took off the vertical grip, but other than that this is the current state of my more than 30 year old Mossberg 500 w/ extended mag tube and 20" barrel.

1Txyqbw.jpg

mpH5FrM.jpg

I like shotguns. Shooting clay targets out in the back yard (when we lived in the country) was loads of fun. We had a cheap hand thrower, but my brother-in-law had a fancy unit that was a lot more fun. You don't have to worry about hurting someone a mile away.

I wasn't suggesting you buy it brother, I was suggesting you use it as a distraction for your wife from the $500-ish you spent on the Mossberg.

That Benelli or a very similar Benelli will be my next gun though, for the record.

Haha wasnt implying you were, I understood what you were suggesting. Also, I paid $400 tax included out the door for that Mossberg. Hence why I did not hesitate lol

Last edited:
I've always loved shotguns, and the Mossberg 500/Maverick 88 is my favorite platform. Between all of the interchangeable barrels, stocks, and grips, I can completely change the gun in very little time for not too much money.

My first non-issued shotgun was a Maverick 88 by Mossberg. I kept the 18.5" barrel on it for home-defense purposes, but had the 28" barrel in the closet for bird hunting. A two-minute barrel swap was all that was required to equip the gun for either purpose. The Maverick is about 15 years old now, but it still runs like a top.

I've always loved shotguns, and the Mossberg 500/Maverick 88 is my favorite platform. Between all of the interchangeable barrels, stocks, and grips, I can completely change the gun in very little time for not too much money.

My first non-issued shotgun was a Maverick 88 by Mossberg. I kept the 18.5" barrel on it for home-defense purposes, but had the 28" barrel in the closet for bird hunting. A two-minute barrel swap was all that was required to equip the gun for either purpose. The Maverick is about 15 years old now, but it still runs like a top.

For sure. MIne has been through several wardrobe changes. It began it's life as what they now call a "Cruiser". It had a pistol grip and a heat shield. I bought it right off the wall at a place called "Assault Systems" for $200 back around 1986. Strangely, in all those years I always field stripped it to clean it, but until last weekend I never took the bolt and the trigger assembly and all that out of it. Thousands and thousands of rounds through that gun, never a failure of any kind and would you believe that crap in there wasn't that dirty ? I did notice the pin that holds the trigger spring in the assembly had walked out of one side and was jammed in there diagonally. I wouldn't think it could have been that way too long. I put a couple hundred rounds through it less than a month ago. I am glad I finally fully disassembled it though.

I’m a huge duck hunter and Dove hunter during season. Have quite a few shotguns.
Browning BPS for me mostly as I’m a southpaw and like the bottom shell ejection.
Have a Mossberg Security 88 for SD and hog hunting in close w slugs.
Also a Rem 870 as a who cares mud shotgun for the kiddo
Pride is a ‘68 Browning Superposed Superlight O/U
1FD29EAE-7391-4B84-96E7-79DB08E885B7.jpeg

I’m a huge duck hunter and Dove hunter during season. Have quite a few shotguns.
Browning BPS for me mostly as I’m a southpaw and like the bottom shell ejection.
Have a Mossberg Security 88 for SD and hog hunting in close w slugs.
Also a Rem 870 as a who cares mud shotgun for the kiddo
Pride is a ‘68 Browning Superposed Superlight O/U View attachment 19531
Very nice 👍

Back