testtest

Just ordered a Carcano...

And I'm gonna Bubba the hell out of it!

Kidding, but I did ask them to send me one that needs a bit of work so I can clean it up and make 'er purty. $200 and I can't wait for it to get here! Not excited about buying the ammo for it, however, and may seriously reconsider my not wanting to swage bullets... $1.70 per round!! Ouch!!

I'll post pictures of before and after. Seriously considering jeweling the bolt.

Kidding, but I did ask them to send me one that needs a bit of work so I can clean it up and make 'er purty. $200 and I can't wait for it to get here! Not excited about buying the ammo for it, however, and may seriously reconsider my not wanting to swage bullets... $1.70 per round!! Ouch!!

I'll post pictures of before and after. Seriously considering jeweling the bolt.
Sounds like a cool project!

Keep us updated with the different stages of progress.

Two things I found interesting in my research are the rifles were designed and used round nose all the way through their service period including World War 2. I'm having good luck finding places that sell them but none in stock. I'm guessing they're fairly popular rifles and not super high production for round nose 6.5x52. I can find spitzers all day but really want to try the 160 (+/-) round nose range.

Another thing I found was the Italian cavalry during World War 1: they used bicycles, more specifically, safety bicycles. This was the model rifle they carried.

Two things I found interesting in my research are the rifles were designed and used round nose all the way through their service period including World War 2. I'm having good luck finding places that sell them but none in stock. I'm guessing they're fairly popular rifles and not super high production for round nose 6.5x52. I can find spitzers all day but really want to try the 160 (+/-) round nose range.

Another thing I found was the Italian cavalry during World War 1: they used bicycles, more specifically, safety bicycles. This was the model rifle they carried.

Cool to know! Heard some places also used motorcycles in their cavalry. In doing almost any good research, it can be amazing and interesting in the trivia that can be gained, gleaned and learned along the way. It all makes for a good interesting story. Did I mention also a ton of fun? - Am thinking you found some of that too? :)

My father-in-law gave me an old Carcano that he "sported" out the stock back in the 50's. It was the thing to do at the time. About 10 years ago I remember finding sites to buy another stock at. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any stocks online any more. I don't remember which model it was, but I know it wasn't a cavalry stock. I'll need to check it again.
Do you happen to know any sites that have a good selection of stocks? Thanks.

My father-in-law gave me an old Carcano that he "sported" out the stock back in the 50's. It was the thing to do at the time. About 10 years ago I remember finding sites to buy another stock at. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any stocks online any more. I don't remember which model it was, but I know it wasn't a cavalry stock. I'll need to check it again.
Do you happen to know any sites that have a good selection of stocks? Thanks.
Hope this helps: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=carcano

It's heeeerrreeee

IMG_20211220_170241574.jpg
IMG_20211220_174922094_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211220_175421615.jpg
IMG_20211220_175437470.jpg

I remember that JFK was assassinated with a Carcano bolt...is this the same rifle? Seen a few old beaters for sale for cheap near me. Several in fact...all for less than $300. I have no skills in restoration, however...

I remember that JFK was assassinated with a Carcano bolt...is this the same rifle? Seen a few old beaters for sale for cheap near me. Several in fact...all for less than $300. I have no skills in restoration, however...
Carcano carbine. Built in 1935 if I'm reading the numbers right. I paid less than $250 for mine.

Nice start and find Wannabe!
Looks like it has quite a bit of history and character behind it.
Cleaning is usually 1st good step in knowing what you have or need to do.
Would love to see it when you get into it and get it the way you want it.
My first bolt action rifle. My first antique gun. My first military gun. It's a lot of firsts for me including one with a bayonet. No cleaning kit in the stock unfortunately...

My first bolt action rifle. My first antique gun. My first military gun. It's a lot of firsts for me including one with a bayonet. No cleaning kit in the stock unfortunately...

You'll likely never forget it either!
On cleaning kits, they're out there for fair prices if look long enough for them in the right places. Don't settle for a cheapy beat up one missing parts either, good complete and undamaged kits are out there to be had.

This site may help?

For starters a lot of research. Then I intend to do a complete teardown and cleaning.

Not sure what I want to do with it though. Certainly want to bring it back to life and get er working again and looking sharp.
Find out how to remove the barreled action from the stock, and do so.

Remove the bolt, and either spray liberally with a good engine degreaser or soak it in gasoline. After you get the cosmoline/grease off it, make sure you use a good surface protectant oil on everything. Clean the bore with a brush/patches.

Break down & clean the bolt as above.

To get cosmoline off the stock, I use a hair dryer or heat gun; get it to just start to bubble, and wipe it off. Do small areas at a time, and if you start to smell something burning…it’s because something is. You’re getting it too hot.

Done many a Nagant & SKS this way…actually had a length of PVC pipe that I could soak an entire M91 barreled action in gas…

Nice Wannabe.
Enjoy the time and knowledge of working on a firearm.
I dove into FN FAL’s / SA58/ all in between long ago ..

Fun to learn day by day, week by week, trial and error …
Have a blast, learn and enjoy the ride !!!

7E75959F-4126-4491-B2F4-064AA5973606.jpeg
DAA733B9-7035-45CF-AB7F-EC49181FE679.jpeg
ACCF1AA5-B892-4F67-9178-2ABC9E9AEB66.jpeg

Back