testtest

Katrina pistol

Sld1959

Hellcat
Was doing a couple searches about Hurricane Katrina and came across an article about "The Katrina Pistol".

It piqued my curiosity and I read it. Curious how many, if any, have a dedicated kit builtin a case specifically around a pistol/firearm and its needed accouterments, ammunition, holster magazines,batteries etc, who's sole task is an extreme survival event such as a devasting hurricane and its aftermath. And it just sits waiting..

It was sn interesting article and exercise in choices and how theyvm were arrived upon.

Was doing a couple searches and Hurricane Katrina and came across an article about "The Katrina Pistol".

It piqued my curiosity and I read it. Curious how many, if any, have a dedicated kit builtin a case specifically around a pistol/firearm and its needed accouterments, ammunition, holster magazines,batteries etc, who's sole task is an extreme survival event such as a devasting hurricane andcits aftermath. And it just sits waiting..
So its a bug out bag pistol and/or rifle

I don’t, per se.

If I did, though…it’d be a USP.

Yeah, I definitely disagree with a few of the guys choices ( and statements). For starters, Glock is not the only and most reliable pistol made. It is very reliable and a solid choice ( not mine) but definitely not the only choice. I also disagree about the 33 round mags, suppressor and his choice of holsters. Basically that's a whole lot of :poop: that you probably won't need, will make the gun weigh more and will inject another possible failure point. I personally would take an HK ( like the P30L) and forego the red dot and laser. Spend that money instead on piles of 17 round mags and ammo.

It is a great idea for a gun, but for it to be a Katrina gun I think the most important characteristics should be the ability to keep the N.O police department from taking it from you and it should be waterproof and float.

I wonder what his Katrina rifle is ?

Katrina pistol? if you know what it is you understand. And it's just a joke folks. Or is it... 😉

AHJF22-F-FP-Liberator-556.jpg

Honestly, the authors obsession with lack of external safeties was a little off putting. I mean I hadn’t realized that the 1911 was a total failure due to it having two external safeties. Man our military and John Moses browning must be total idiots, how did we ever win a battle with pistols that had external safeties. Plus the M&P and p320 come without safeties, not to mention the plethora of other striker fired guns. PS watch garand thumb muddy pistol test then tell me the Glock is your GD Katrina gun.

The military chose the m17 pistol with a manual safety over a Glock (also with manual safety). Hell CZ p07 with internal rails has proven to be pretty reliable. Walther pdp, HK, hellcat has no safety option.

Me personally I will take my p226 in shtf in a chest holster. I do run a light and red dot but eventually those get ditched cause batteries don’t last forever. I do keep spares.

Not to mention suppressor height sights muddy up the red dot picture, rather have lower co-witness sights and run a holosun eps that has an enclosed optic. Instead of a bottom mounted battery on a rmr that has to get sighted in after you change batteries just in case. The whole point of a red dot is to stay target focused and not have irons clouding up the sight picture.

Not many holster options for a pistol with attached suppressor. I guess that gets tossed in the bag since well in shtf we all carrying rifles not running around with a suppressed Glock.

Anyways I am not faulting the guy for his choice of a Glock just for his choice in words when saying it’s basically the only choice. Sorry some of these agitate me as the authors in these act as experts but don’t discuss options or data to inform their decision. They just seem to pick the most obvious and known gear. Hell any joe behind any shelf of a gun store can recommend a Glock. We get it, they shoot bullets, guess what so do a lot of guns, reliably as well. Welcome to 2023.

The closest thing I would come up with is the Makarov with a belt slide holster and 4 spare magazines normally carried in my GHB. Since i have been feeling nostalgic and carrying the Mak when carrying a pistol recrntly, the P365XL resides there with with 3 spare magazine.

While the Katrina pistol kit is an interesting concept I think it gives just one more thing to think about come an emergency. Some people have a GHB,me, some people have a BOB, add 1 more pelican case to whatever hmyiu have to move or protect. Carry the gun in one of those preexisting bags makes more sense to me.

Back