testtest

Knife sharpeners

Bassbob

Emissary
Has anyone here got an opinion on the work sharp Ken Onion ?

I have been looking to get a decent, fairly low cost paper belt sharpening system ( not for really good knives mind you) and this one seems to fit the bill. It gets pretty good reviews and seems like it's fairly well made.

Any opinions on other sharpening systems are appreciated too. Basically I have about 300-350 knives that I have picked up over the years and then just shoved into duffel bags and forgotten about. Most of them need some attention. I'd rather not spend forever and a day trying to sharpen them with stones, which I am not all that great at to begin with. I also have bladed tools I use on the regular around here that constantly need maintenance etc..

What I would like is something that is easy to use, does a good job and doesn't ruin blades. I'd also like to keep the price in the $100 range.

I have been looking to get a decent, fairly low cost paper belt sharpening system ( not for really good knives mind you) and this one seems to fit the bill. It gets pretty good reviews and seems like it's fairly well made.

Any opinions on other sharpening systems are appreciated too. Basically I have about 300-350 knives that I have picked up over the years and then just shoved into duffel bags and forgotten about. Most of them need some attention. I'd rather not spend forever and a day trying to sharpen them with stones, which I am not all that great at to begin with. I also have bladed tools I use on the regular around here that constantly need maintenance etc..

What I would like is something that is easy to use, does a good job and doesn't ruin blades. I'd also like to keep the price in the $100 range.

They work and work well. I plan on getting one some day. I know several people who have and swear by them, they have been highly recommended to me by people in trust. Basically it's on my Christmas list this year.

I have that sharpener and it is the best of many systems I have owned. When we are butchering a bunch of hogs from the trap it keeps everybody sharp and moving. I am obsessive about keeping all our kitchen knives sharp as well and it keeps everything razor sharp. You can adjust the angle on the guides which helps a lot, and you can move through differeng grit belts to get as fine an edge as you want.

I'd lean to a manual vs. powered sharpener for higher-end knifes, but knives that get everyday use (butchering) a powered unit would be desirable.

I'd lean to a manual vs. powered sharpener for higher-end knifes, but knives that get everyday use (butchering) a powered unit would be desirable.

You do realize that almost every custom knife made is sharpened on a belt sander. They are sometimes edge polished and finished on stones.

I have the original work sharp which has the 3/4" belts and is single speed. The new Ken onion version has 1" belts and is variable speed .

You do realize that almost every custom knife made is sharpened on a belt sander. They are sometimes edge polished and finished on stones.
Marfione and his crew use belts and a honing wheel. That said, I ain't sharpening my MT on a belt sander. Or with stones for that matter. When the time comes I'll pay the $20 and send it back to them.

I will on the other hand take that Cobratech OTF dagger to a belt sander.

To each his/hers own preference(s).
Just pointing that out. I agree hand sharpening is great heck you are talking to a guy who even uses Japanese water stones, when i do not forget to take them inside during winter and shatter them. But a modern bet sander with proper belts put professional edges on safely all the time, when properly practiced and used.

Poorly used even Arkansas stones leave a fine blade an ugly scratched mess.

The skill of the user makes all the difference, except when using those old electric can opener sharpeners those things are butchers...

Marfione and his crew use belts and a honing wheel. That said, I ain't sharpening my MT on a belt sander. Or with stones for that matter. When the time comes I'll pay the $20 and send it back to them.

Yeah I will too, but so far in a year and a half that's not been needed. I do touch ot up occasionally with a fine ceramic rod.

If you have any honing skills at all a stone works just fine on the CobraTec. It is D2 steel.

Just pointing that out. I agree hand sharpening is great heck you are talking to a guy who even uses Japanese water stones, when i do not forget to take them inside during winter and shatter them. But a modern bet sander with proper belts put professional edges on safely all the time, when properly practiced and used.

Poorly used even Arkansas stones leave a fine blade an ugly scratched mess.

The skill of the user makes all the difference, except when using those old electric can opener sharpeners those things are butchers...
I use a Suehiro 1200.

To be fair professional knife makers would have to hire an army of guys to sharpen production knives with stones. That's why they spent the last 20 years perfecting their technique on sanders and teaching it to their staff.

I am thoroughly impressed with the edge on my UTX-85, but I promise you a welder I know at work could put it on stones and make it better.

It's a ( thick) dagger blade and I can't get it as sharp as I'd like. I've read where people say you won't be able to, but...
Bassbob , I have this OTF from them and I can get it sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm without pulling with my stone.

Forgot to put link in.

Back