testtest

Lead 124g rn are all heavy

I'm new to reloading. I just got a batch of lead 124g round nose.
Its my first time using all lead bullets. So far they are anything but 124. Out of 20 (which is all I cared to weigh) The closest was 125.7 but I have but all others where 127.6+ at least 2 reaching 128.
Is this normal?

Its my first time using all lead bullets. So far they are anything but 124. Out of 20 (which is all I cared to weigh) The closest was 125.7 but I have but all others where 127.6+ at least 2 reaching 128.
Is this normal?
You do know you can't/shouldn't load these 124gr lead bullets to the same velocities as a 124gr Jacketed bullet, don't you?

Yes they are 9mm. Yes I know they should be a lower velocity. And I know they should be larger than .355 I went with .356 over some who recommended .357
I'm shooting them through a springfield xdm 5.25 elite.
I only got a small batch (200) because its imposible to find anything else thats not stupid expensive. Wanted to continue to learn and grow my skills at other bullets. The price was hard to say no to. But as with all things you get what you pay for. They are from USRS. I have Hitek .356 coated coming from DG and copper coated .355 coming from Xtreme. They both where kinda long wait (not to bad over all.. 2 weeks).
But ill probably need some help with a recommendations as to seating depths and if I should start with low end FMJ recipes for both the Hitek and Copper coat.

Yes they are 9mm. Yes I know they should be a lower velocity. And I know they should be larger than .355 I went with .356 over some who recommended .357
I'm shooting them through a springfield xdm 5.25 elite.
I only got a small batch (200) because its imposible to find anything else thats not stupid expensive. Wanted to continue to learn and grow my skills at other bullets. The price was hard to say no to. But as with all things you get what you pay for. They are from USRS. I have Hitek .356 coated coming from DG and copper coated .355 coming from Xtreme. They both where kinda long wait (not to bad over all.. 2 weeks).
But ill probably need some help with a recommendations as to seating depths and if I should start with low end FMJ recipes for both the Hitek and Copper coat.
Yes they are 9mm. Yes I will be setting them up for a lower velocity. Also I've learned they should be larger than .355 I went with .356 over some who recommended .357. I have not had my barrel slugged.
I'm shooting them through a springfield xdm 5.25 elite. I trying to join a club and would like to do some compition shooting/plinking so I figured learning to do my own reloads and trying my hand/comfort at different recipes sooner than later.
I Really appreciate all the replies And I look forward to being part of this community.

Check your loading manual/s ........... it/they should have a section for loading lead bullets and those loads will be different from any for jacketed bullets. Read and consider them carefully before you begin to load them. With all due respect, your experience level may not be quite ready for 'rolling your own'. Be safe, be careful. Good luck!

Stay in touch and ask anything you're not absolutely sure of. I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but while hand loading can be a very pleasurable hobby, it can also be dangerous.

Just this one man's opinion.

Check your loading manual/s ........... it/they should have a section for loading lead bullets and those loads will be different from any for jacketed bullets. Read and consider them carefully before you begin to load them. With all due respect, your experience level may not be quite ready for 'rolling your own'. Be safe, be careful. Good luck!

Stay in touch and ask anything you're not absolutely sure of. I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but while hand loading can be a very pleasurable hobby, it can also be dangerous.

Just this one man's opinion.

JumpinJoe.
I'm not sure what you mean or how you could know about my life experience and abilities without know me or anything about me in order to comment on my experience level and what I am and am not ready for? Are you speaking specifically about "rolling my own" rounds out of crap lead bullets? Or reloads in general.
Just wondering what I said in my post or what you have physicaly seen here in my garage or work/reloading bench that shows my abilities. I am newer to reloading in itself, yes...... I am a NOOB...... but that didnt stop me from studying it. Learning all I can, deciding whether or not it was for me and deciding if I wanted to continue shooting regularly during this messed up time where its cheaper to by a used car than it is to spend a weekend at the range or get that knew pistol you want. Im open to asking questions about what I dont know and what ever I feel I should know. I'm not scared to be wrong if it helps me to learn. I'm a highly accomplished mechanic and regularly have projects that require very important small details. And As long as the information is out there and the right tools are available (and I do have what I need and use it also) then there isn't a project out there that I can't do. Reloads are not a dificult thing in comparison to anything 🙄. As with most important or potentially dangerous things (like owning firearms, having cc and using them) all it takes to accomplish anything is the right information, or the ability to find it along with patience and the correct tools for the job. The right time to do something is when you're ready to and willing to learn to do it the right way.
I know that the lead bullets are loaded to different specs. My coment about probably asking around for information was for the HiTek coated bullets as they are not in a typical manual. I have the Lyman 50th edition, which I feel is very lacking. I have alot of other info, practicaly built my on manual from others articles and research. But I find its better to have a conversation instead of relying on possibly wrong info found online. I appreciate the concerns. If anyone is interested ill keep the thread alive with an update of these terrible cheap crap lead bullets and what kind of results I get through my chronograph as well as accuracy at different loads. TTYS

Last edited:
Protector, my comment regarding your experience level was based simply on the very first sentence you wrote in your very first post .... " I'm new to reloading." That's all I meant by your 'experience level', I certainly meant no disrespect.

Then in your next to last post you said this .... " But ill probably need some help with a recommendations as to seating depths and if I should start with low end FMJ recipes for both the Hitek and Copper coat." I understood that as you asking if you could start your loading for the cast bullets using "low end recipes" for jacketed bullets. That understanding was what my statement about 'rolling your own' was directed at.

And nowhere in any of my posts have I used the words "crappy lead bullets". I did say that if they were home cast then they could vary some in weight which was what you asked in the first place.

Look, I know the written word doesn't always project the emotion and/or nuance of the spoken word, but I'm really hard pressed to find where I might have insulted you to the point of responding as you have. Whatever it was, I apologize.

And speaking for myself, I assure that I, and likely others are interested in your 'keeping the thread' alive.

Protector, now that I've had a little time to digest your previous post, I'm going to take the liberty of giving you one more piece of advice. I'd highly recommend you go to the thread I'm providing a link to and read every single post, start to finish. You'll find a wealth of good info that will serve you well ..................................

No harm no foulI. I appilogize for my over defensiveness and if my own post was snotty of me. I may have been taking out frustrations with the market and supply and prices along with everything else on the inocent. I admittedly was quick to pull out my sword to defend my honor 😑.
Growing up my mother use to say that nothing good ever happens after midnight LOL. Late in the night is when the bad decisions where made and the hooligans (Which you then become yourself like a curse of the midnight hour 😂🤣 ) and bad behavior run rampant. I learned long ago that that also applies (as an adult) and in most cases to writing emails, responding to conversations held much earlier in the day, working in the garage or on a project/rebuilding the project car or anything that requires precision, posting opinions or most anything on social media and........talk forums..... so posting on the forum at 2am while exhausted and laying in bed was a amature decision on my part. I did not use my head, or practice what I thought I learned so long ago. 😬
I know you didn't say that the lead bullets where crap. That was/is my personal opinion on them because they are in fact crap. You get what you pay for heh.
I have some info in the books I have about loading plane Jane lead bullets. But its the coated ones I'll have to experiment with. I've been told to start with the low powder level for FMJS or to use the higher end levels for plain ole cast/lead bullets.
But I can't do anything at the moment as I am waiting for my extremely over priced primers that I got bent over for, the seller then shipped them to the wrong person in the wrong state!!!......The price i paid was high obviously due to current supply and demand.. But not the worst, as I have seen some seriously ridiculous Shameful prices. I did get 2000 of some old of Tula primers for 165.00. Im a little nervous though. Not sure how old they are. I thought that they have been discontinued but from the research iv done it seems like the majority of people who have used them say that :eek:thers can say what they want but they've always gone bang." So thats good to hear.

Most question ill have in the future is probably honestly stuff I can just figure out, research and just test. But I really prefer to chat with people about it as the world has become socially distant its nice to actualy have conversations..
Thanks Jim,

Yep, that weight variation is normal unless getting product from the "Big Boys" like SNS Casting or Missouri Bullet Co. Personally, I wouldn't shoot bare lead in 9mm, but have fired thousands of HiTek coated from SNS. You might want to consider investing in a Lewis Lead Remover tool.

You are always welcome to ask anything you need to understand better. And if you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest again your reading this linked thread from start to finish. I think you'll benefit greatly from it.

And thank you for the apology.

Thanks for the thread. I've actually been through that one a bit and many like it. I started a bit with the same mindset as the guy in that thread.. I thought I could save some money. But quickly learned before even making my first purchase while doing my re search that with my addictive personality and the amount of details and toys that there are, I knew sure as **** I wouldn't be saving any money really. I'm spending about the same, maybe a bit more on average, but i do get to keep shooting and shoot a little more without worrying how long I'll have to wait for some one to re stock thier 1.14$ a round cases. The Shop told me the other day when I called that they did finally get a shipmen. "I could save if i bought 1,000 rounds... @...$989.99.
If I would have re directed the funds and the time I spent getting set up and getting everything i needed to make the 2,000 round batch i could have instead just bough 3,000 rounds right off.
Not anymore thouh. Prices here are over a dollar a round now and online isn't any better if you can find anything. Been shooting alot latley, going up to a friend's cabin alot more often as well to pop off some rounds as both our offices are still closed. Starting to compete as well. So I'm just happy that I'm in a situation where I do have the ability to reload and get to continue shooting and enjoying what I love during these strange and very stressful times.
I'm not going to waist any supplies loading the lead crap I got. I only got 200, so I'll keep them for a more desperate and rainy-er-er time. I'll just have to wait till next week for the coated batch and I'll wait for the new stock of primers as well so I won't have to change primers mid batch.
I cant make changes and test them properly whenever I want because I live in the city. I take my gear to "the cabin" aka (our friend's property in the blue ridge mountains a couple hrs from here straight torwards and into heaven) dial in the load there safely then press back at home in the garage. I cant press a much as id like because who wants to make 500 untested rounds that turn out to be wrong when you finally get to test them and then have to re do them. No thanks. I have to try to be patient and hold off the itch.
It's been a welcomed adventure and a new and unexpected hobby. Its made my love of firearms and handguns new again in a way. Its a whole nother set of details and variables that most never give a thought to and has given me a whole new appreciation.

Is this normal?
SAAMI spec for projectiles says....send ‘em back. Far outside of tolerance. Your 124gr lead projectiles should weigh no greater than 125.86gr. That’s 1.5% above nominal 124gr weight.

TOLERANCE – BULLET WEIGHT
1. Lead and lead-core bullets:
Less than 100 grains.............................. Nominal weight ± 2.0%
Equal to or greater than 100 grains ....... Nominal weight ± 1.5%

SAAMI spec for projectiles says....send ‘em back. Far outside of tolerance. Your 124gr lead projectiles should weigh no greater than 125.86gr. That’s 1.5% above nominal 124gr weight.

TOLERANCE – BULLET WEIGHT
1. Lead and lead-core bullets:
Less than 100 grains.............................. Nominal weight ± 2.0%
Equal to or greater than 100 grains ....... Nominal weight ± 1.5%
I decided not to use them. Id rather spend my time and expensive supplies on quality bullets and a enjoyable quality finished product.
I don't think its even worth my time sending them back. They where 8.00. Ill pick through and separate them by weight. Ill have a better idea when I'm bored enough to sit and weigh 200 lead balls, which is pretty much most of the time with the office still closed due to the insanity 🙃. Ill reach out to the company and at least notify them. Whether or not they care enough to make adjustments is another thing. They likley just threw the mold and everything together in order to capitalize on the current market. Just so yall know they are from US Reloading Supply. I do not recommend the company, as of thus far. I admittedly have never used any of their other products so I can't speak for the quality of thier products or business over all and can't say if this is a one off situation or if its regular operating procedure. I am not trying to harm the welfare of a business, enough busineses have been destroyed recently.. i only post the name as a buyer beware.

Back