testtest

leather holster, finally

Old_Me

Ronin
well, i went and done did it. i wanted for the longest time to ccw my Ruger GP 100 2.5" 357 mag revolver, but i needed a holster. i "compared" the size of the Ruger to my Hellcat, same "basic" length, but the grip on the Ruger tucks closer to my body than the Hellcat.

so, i shopped around actually months ago, found a highly recommended holster site, and ordered up (minutes ago) an AIWB black leather one. metal belt clip, not a "belt loop" style. doesn't ship out till about the end of August.

with quicker shipping, an added leather care kit, just over $100.

www.Craftholsters.com

"generic picture"

1659189263915.png

I prefer owb but I think you will like the warmth and feel of leather iwb. The one issue that you may encounter is the throat does not look reinforced. When I carried iwb in used a leather homster with a reinforced throat to help with holstering. Un-reinforced, a completely new word I just made up, tend to collapse.

I prefer owb but I think you will like the warmth and feel of leather iwb. The one issue that you may encounter is the throat does not look reinforced. When I carried iwb in used a leather homster with a reinforced throat to help with holstering. Un-reinforced, a completely new word I just made up, tend to collapse.
we have to carry concealed here. AIWB works well for me, due to my lumpy body.. i look much "svelte" with an IWB holster.

what do you mean by "throat" of the holster?

we have to carry concealed here. AIWB works well for me, due to my lumpy body.. i look much "svelte" with an IWB holster.

what do you mean by "throat" of the holster?
The entrance of the holster around the rim is the throat. Sometimes reinforced with a thick strip of leather sometimes with an internal metal strip. Mine from Black Hills leather are metal reinforced. Check this link, this shows a different color throat reinforcing and discusses it in the description

The entrance of the holster around the rim is the throat. Sometimes reinforced with a thick strip of leather sometimes with an internal metal strip. Mine from Black Hills leather are metal reinforced. Check this link, this shows a different color throat reinforcing and discusses it in the description

oh, ok, as i looked at my (factory website picture) it looks like the holster has a "loop" over to the other side?

which "could be" it's reinforcement??

if i can find some sort of picture explaining what i am saying, i will post it.

see how this "throat" is open, then look up at what i am getting, and see the "loop over"

View attachment 29496
No, the throat is where the gun actually slides in, the reinforcement helps keep it from being squeezed shut by belt pressure agaist your side making holstering difficult. I did look at crafts website and a lot of thier holsters look to have reinforcement. That picture I put in my last pistol shows it quite well.

Last edited:
No, the throat is where the gun actually slides in, the reinforcement helps keep it from being squeezed shut by belt pressure agaist your side making holstering difficult. I did look at crafts website and a lot of thier holsters look to have reinforcement. That picture I put in my last pistol shows it quite well.
oh ok, cuz if i recall, the website also mentions that the revolver does not "lock in" a leather holster, like a gun in a kydex does.

yeah, that website could use a few more descriptions, but as i mentioned, at several revolver sites i visit, many spoke well of this company, and the reviews are pretty good as well.

in the end, i only have maybe 3 holsters now..??

1 for my G-30, 2 for my Hellcat, not a closet full of holsters...

so, if this one doesn't work out, i'll go searching for better.

but late August is far way right now.

oh ok, cuz if i recall, the website also mentions that the revolver does not "lock in" a leather holster, like a gun in a kydex does.

yeah, that website could use a few more descriptions, but as i mentioned, at several revolver sites i visit, many spoke well of this company, and the reviews are pretty good as well.

I hope you do not think I was criticizing, not at all. It was just one thing I noticed that I have found over time i prefer in an iwb. It's not an absolute necessity. I used nylon and leather iwb holsters for years before I found it. Worst case you sometimes have to remove the holster to holster the pistol.

I will admit to having never cartied a revolver iwb so not sure how an not reinforced mouth will work with the wider cylinder.

I do think however you will like the feel of leather against your skin.

i didn't take any of it as being critical.

i prefer the AIWB only so that it does not "jot out", and make it really obvious i am carrying. i do have a "lumpy body", of sorts, and having AIWB, makes my body more "svelte" and sexy in my clothes.....

at least, that's what all the old ladies say, if i drop off my wife at the bingo game...once in a while

i always hear, "what an *ss"

but then again, i don't open the door for my wife, could that be what they mean..????

oh, ok, as i looked at my (factory website picture) it looks like the holster has a "loop" over to the other side?

which "could be" it's reinforcement??

if i can find some sort of picture explaining what i am saying, i will post it.
What your talking about is a retention strap so someone can’t take your gun easily. In defense it does help to keep the throat open for re-holstering.

I checked out their website and have two holsters in my shopping cart waiting until they answer my questions on whether they will work with my guns.

well, i went and done did it. i wanted for the longest time to ccw my Ruger GP 100 2.5" 357 mag revolver, but i needed a holster. i "compared" the size of the Ruger to my Hellcat, same "basic" length, but the grip on the Ruger tucks closer to my body than the Hellcat.

so, i shopped around actually months ago, found a highly recommended holster site, and ordered up (minutes ago) an AIWB black leather one. metal belt clip, not a "belt loop" style. doesn't ship out till about the end of August.

with quicker shipping, an added leather care kit, just over $100.

www.Craftholsters.com

"generic picture"

View attachment 29489
Just my opinion. I purchased a "craft" and was "Very" dissapointed in the holster when it arrived.It looked and felt cheap.I gave it away.The urban carry with leather lock was like $70.00 & the quality was 100% better.I use it on my hellcat osp with swamp fox as everyday carry. The holster in the photo "looks" like a craft holster.Believe me,it's not worth $100.00.That IWB clip does not hold your pistol secure & is uncomfortable

Old_Me , I know everyone has their likes and dislikes . I am way to heavy to even think about AIWB carry but I did buy a holster with a clip like your holster has one time. I wear in the 3 - 4 o'clock position . As I said I have extra padding all around . So anyway I wear it out the first day and as I go to get in my truck , by raising my right leg , it popped the holster and gun off my belt and it skittered across my driveway.

I took that holster to my local leather shop and had the clip removed and a loop sewed onto the holster. It worked great after that. It was this holster ---> https://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=35

Good luck with your holster and I hope it works great for you.

Back