testtest

Long Live the Lever Gun: Marlin Celebrates 150 Years

20200409_104346.jpg

Two beautiful rifles.
I love the look of Black Laminate Pistol Grip Stock. Do you know what year that was made?
Well Keystone19250, according to research done on the internet, My serial Number starts with MR, indicating it's a Remington Marlin (who started producing Marlins in 2010). The code on the left hand side of barrel near the receiver is KM. K=May, M=2018. Hence, as far as I know, the rifle's production date was May 2018. I found this information from a Marlin forum from a poster's response to finding Marlin production dates for those made by Remington. I include his post below (I deleted photo attachments since they required login to forum to display):

SaltCreek
Here is the low down directly from Remington that I got from an original Marlin employee. What Grumpyoldman posted on 11-02-2016, 05:44PM. at the following link, https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...serial-no.html, is 100% correct. I am copying his post here along with other photos to help you can understand when your new Remlin was made. I own 3 Marlin 1894 rifles, but only 2 are Remlins and this decoding works perfectly to get the correct manufacturing date according to Remington.
The new Remington Marlin serial number is computer generated. The only thing the serial number tells Remlin owners is if the gun was made by "Marlin" or "Remington Marlin". If the serial number starts with MR then it is a Remington made Marlin. This started in May of 2010.
Now if the serial number starts with MR, we have to look at the left side of the barrel where it screws into the receiver. (See photo below.) This is same place you would look to see if the rifle were a JM Marlin. These letters are much smaller and may be a very light stamping so you may need a magnifying glass to read them. The letters are always upper case. If the letter looks like an "I" then it is an “I”, not a lower case L. The L will always look like a capital L. Of these 2 letters you see on the left side of the barrel, the first letter tells you the month and the second letter tells you the year of manufacturing starting with the letter E = the year 2010. See the month and year letter list below.
The month letters are as follows; B = Jan, L = Feb, A = Mar, C = Apr, K = May, P = Jun, O = Jul, W = Aug, D = Sep, E = Oct, R = Nov, X = Dec
The year letters are as follows; E = 2010, F = 2011, G = 2012, H = 2013, I = 2014, J = 2015, K = 2016, L = 2017, M = 2018, N = 2019, and P will = 2020.
Example, my 1894, 45LC is stamped LL. This means this rifle was manufactured in February of 2017 and Remington confirms this. My 1894, 44 Magnum is stamped BJ. This means this rifle was manufactured in January of 2015 and Remington confirmed this too. If you read the letter for each month in order from January to December, it reads BLACKPOWDERX.
If you cannot read the letter on the barrel and you still have the box, you can get the information off the label. At the right end of the label are 3 boxes. The top 2 boxes are clearly marked with "Serial Number" and "Order Number". The third box has 2 numbers and 2 letters in it. On my box label it is 16LL. (See photo below) The two (2) numbers are the actual day of the month. The 2 letters are the month and year your rifle was manufactured. (See previous list above and photo of box label) My 1894 Marlin 45LC was actually made on Thursday the 16th of February 2017 and this is confirmed by Remington with them looking up my serial number. This is why it is important to always keep the original firearm box or at least the label from it. As it does have valuable information.
I realize this is a long post but I do hope it will clear up the confusion on the Remlin manufacturing dates after May 2010.
I want to thank "Grumpyoldman" and "bcjol" for their information that got me started wanting to know more about the date of manufacturing of the new Marlin rifles.

Thank you BET7 I’ve posted before my feelings on Remington however I’m sure the lever action rifle you have is terrific since wether it was made by Marlin or Remington it is based on the Marlin design. The reason I asked the question was while I worked for Marlin from 1995 to 2010 it was during that time when Marlin started making gun stocks using laminated wood. I believe if memory serves me around 2003. It started with the lever guns then eventually we started getting blanks for the model 60 semi 22’s and then our bolt action guns. I was running the CNC machining CTR’s machining the action cuts into the wood blanks and was instrumental in helping engineering develop tooling to cut laminate wood which is much different the solid wood blanks. The picture below shows stocks in line for machining the action. There is one “Truck” of solid wood birch blanks, two of black laminate and two of brown laminate. The other pictures are of the machining CTR’s I ran.
9B746725-B91C-45FC-9993-E1972EDA4FC8.jpeg
07A0EB53-4458-446C-A2AA-41803B1720CC.jpeg
AA6C87D5-0A48-47ED-9CC9-FC1031CE594C.jpeg
3921DE55-413E-450E-9D03-D4C99818FEB9.jpeg

Well Keystone19250, according to research done on the internet, My serial Number starts with MR, indicating it's a Remington Marlin (who started producing Marlins in 2010). The code on the left hand side of barrel near the receiver is KM. K=May, M=2018. Hence, as far as I know, the rifle's production date was May 2018. I found this information from a Marlin forum from a poster's response to finding Marlin production dates for those made by Remington. I include his post below (I deleted photo attachments since they required login to forum to display):

SaltCreek
Here is the low down directly from Remington that I got from an original Marlin employee. What Grumpyoldman posted on 11-02-2016, 05:44PM. at the following link, https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...serial-no.html, is 100% correct. I am copying his post here along with other photos to help you can understand when your new Remlin was made. I own 3 Marlin 1894 rifles, but only 2 are Remlins and this decoding works perfectly to get the correct manufacturing date according to Remington.
The new Remington Marlin serial number is computer generated. The only thing the serial number tells Remlin owners is if the gun was made by "Marlin" or "Remington Marlin". If the serial number starts with MR then it is a Remington made Marlin. This started in May of 2010.
Now if the serial number starts with MR, we have to look at the left side of the barrel where it screws into the receiver. (See photo below.) This is same place you would look to see if the rifle were a JM Marlin. These letters are much smaller and may be a very light stamping so you may need a magnifying glass to read them. The letters are always upper case. If the letter looks like an "I" then it is an “I”, not a lower case L. The L will always look like a capital L. Of these 2 letters you see on the left side of the barrel, the first letter tells you the month and the second letter tells you the year of manufacturing starting with the letter E = the year 2010. See the month and year letter list below.
The month letters are as follows; B = Jan, L = Feb, A = Mar, C = Apr, K = May, P = Jun, O = Jul, W = Aug, D = Sep, E = Oct, R = Nov, X = Dec
The year letters are as follows; E = 2010, F = 2011, G = 2012, H = 2013, I = 2014, J = 2015, K = 2016, L = 2017, M = 2018, N = 2019, and P will = 2020.
Example, my 1894, 45LC is stamped LL. This means this rifle was manufactured in February of 2017 and Remington confirms this. My 1894, 44 Magnum is stamped BJ. This means this rifle was manufactured in January of 2015 and Remington confirmed this too. If you read the letter for each month in order from January to December, it reads BLACKPOWDERX.
If you cannot read the letter on the barrel and you still have the box, you can get the information off the label. At the right end of the label are 3 boxes. The top 2 boxes are clearly marked with "Serial Number" and "Order Number". The third box has 2 numbers and 2 letters in it. On my box label it is 16LL. (See photo below) The two (2) numbers are the actual day of the month. The 2 letters are the month and year your rifle was manufactured. (See previous list above and photo of box label) My 1894 Marlin 45LC was actually made on Thursday the 16th of February 2017 and this is confirmed by Remington with them looking up my serial number. This is why it is important to always keep the original firearm box or at least the label from it. As it does have valuable information.
I realize this is a long post but I do hope it will clear up the confusion on the Remlin manufacturing dates after May 2010.
I want to thank "Grumpyoldman" and "bcjol" for their information that got me started wanting to know more about the date of manufacturing of the new Marlin rifles.
Now I'll check my marlins!

Thank you BET7 I’ve posted before my feelings on Remington however I’m sure the lever action rifle you have is terrific since wether it was made by Marlin or Remington it is based on the Marlin design. The reason I asked the question was while I worked for Marlin from 1995 to 2010 it was during that time when Marlin started making gun stocks using laminated wood. I believe if memory serves me around 2003. It started with the lever guns then eventually we started getting blanks for the model 60 semi 22’s and then our bolt action guns. I was running the CNC machining CTR’s machining the action cuts into the wood blanks and was instrumental in helping engineering develop tooling to cut laminate wood which is much different the solid wood blanks. The picture below shows stocks in line for machining the action. There is one “Truck” of solid wood birch blanks, two of black laminate and two of brown laminate. The other pictures are of the machining CTR’s I ran. View attachment 4310View attachment 4311View attachment 4312View attachment 4313
Nice pictures of the factory, I really like seeing how firearms are manufactured, thanks for sharing.

Back