testtest

M1A Hunting ammo

I have an M1A standard that I plan on hunting white tail in Georgia. I’ve zeroed the rifle with 150 grain FMJ; I am finding it hard to determine a good hunting round that meets the specs for this rifle.

What are some good hunting rounds to purchase? Don’t plan on handloading…

Thank you for any suggestions in advance!

I've heard/read that soft points aren't m1a friendly. You might need Barne's, Berger or Nosler that doesn't have the lead tips (maybe Hornady non lead tips also). Not sure if it's an accuracy issue or feeding issue on lead tip bullets?

You don’t mention if it’s a .308 however my M1A loves the 150G FMJ I shoot……,
3E580484-6A2F-45ED-A88E-B3FD3910E135.jpeg
006312E4-5C9B-4008-BE9A-33A5E30A7E7A.jpeg

Although I don’t hunt.

Welcome to the forum from Kentucky.

You don’t mention if it’s a .308 however my M1A loves the 150G FMJ I shoot……,View attachment 30937View attachment 30936
Although I don’t hunt.

Welcome to the forum from Kentucky.

The range suggested the sig full copper hollow tip… similar to this; however from what I’ve read in another forum is the muzzle velocity should not exceed 2800 fps.

I’ve also read a forum that claimed they spoke to SA about that specific ammo and stated not to use it bc the stress it causes on parts.

My M1A is a .308.

Thanks for the welcoming.

On a side note; I had to send in my brand new M1A to SA due to after first shooting it 25/40 rounds had light primer strikes… and failure to fire. Hopefully get it back soon.

I've heard/read that soft points aren't m1a friendly. You might need Barne's, Berger or Nosler that doesn't have the lead tips (maybe Hornady non lead tips also). Not sure if it's an accuracy issue or feeding issue on lead tip bullets?

I’m thinking I’ll have to go with a Polymer tip ie: hornady or a new round from Remington (core lokt tipped) the 150 grain Muzzle velocity is 2840, however the 165 grain is 2700 MV.

The range suggested the sig full copper hollow tip… similar to this; however from what I’ve read in another forum is the muzzle velocity should not exceed 2800 fps.

I’ve also read a forum that claimed they spoke to SA about that specific ammo and stated not to use it bc the stress it causes on parts.

My M1A is a .308.

Thanks for the welcoming.

On a side note; I had to send in my brand new M1A to SA due to after first shooting it 25/40 rounds had light primer strikes… and failure to fire. Hopefully get it back soon.
I have about 200 rounds of the 150G Sig
At 2900 MV and the gun has run flawlessly, I’ll have to investigate the 2800 MV limit.

The M1A has a floating firing pin, your lite primer strikes could be heavy/thick primer casing. Although not sure, hope you get it back soon.

I hunted with my SA M1A the first year I had it in 1986 and was extremely excited to do so. Got reamed by the older guys in the club for it too. Some of them carried these in the service and were happy when they didn't have to anymore. I did it for 2 of the 4 trips of that season and moved back to something more sensible.
For the northeast woods it was downright ridiculous.
Long, heavy and noisy when the fiberglass handguard contacted branches and sometimes only leaves. Also with a legally required 5 round magazine I felt uneasy just in case the deer returned fire.
But seriously it had no advantage over my 300 Savage model 99 in power or accuracy. Subsequent shots may have been faster but it's so long it was impossible to follow the target in heavy cover so that advantage is pointless. Also if you read my post in this thread below I explain how it took me nearly a year to finally get all the lead out of it from the box of hunting ammo I practiced with for that trip. An M1A is a full metal jacket firearm. You're entitled to make your own mistakes especially if you are still young so don't listen to us cratchty old guys whatda we know anyway.

Thread 'Proper M1A ammo, for all the new rifle owners out there' https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum...for-all-the-new-rifle-owners-out-there.12581/

I have an M1A standard that I plan on hunting white tail in Georgia. I’ve zeroed the rifle with 150 grain FMJ; I am finding it hard to determine a good hunting round that meets the specs for this rifle.

What are some good hunting rounds to purchase? Don’t plan on handloading…

Thank you for any suggestions in advance!
I have used the following at the range to test in my M1A as it didnt like surplus military ammo due to hard primers.

off the shelf hunting rounds of Federal, , Hornady, Winchester and Norma all ran fine thru my gun.
I have other .308 hunting rifles, so I used the 3 non lead tipped/soft point brands I had:

Also, DO NOT USE soft point/ lead tipped ammo. Builds up in the chamber … see your M1A manual:

E40CEDB1-AD83-4A1D-991B-30ECFD61A2D1.jpeg

I have about 200 rounds of the 150G Sig
At 2900 MV and the gun has run flawlessly, I’ll have to investigate the 2800 MV limit.

The M1A has a floating firing pin, your lite primer strikes could be heavy/thick primer casing. Although not sure, hope you get it back soon.
That would get me curious also, even not owning 1.

Back