testtest

M1A new purchase

Jfal

Professional
Just bought an M1A Loaded-Black, also ordered a walnut stock from LRB today...love the rifle but love walnut more. Watched for last 9 months for a walnut-stock loaded to show locally, but no luck. Any advice welcome on converting to the walnut stock....when it arrives in a few weeks. Ordered the one with the wood hand-guard....can't wait. Walnut stock coming from LRB...

Last edited:
Walnut handguards usually need some inletting to fit on the medium weight Loaded barrel. Do this with the handguard clip removed, using the proper tool. The wood handguard is easy to crack.

If you ordered the Minelli stock from LRB, you will also need the hardware.

Walnut handguards usually need some inletting to fit on the medium weight Loaded barrel. Do this with the handguard clip removed, using the proper tool. The wood handguard is easy to crack.

If you ordered the Minelli stock from LRB, you will also need the hardware.
You are correct. The upper hand guard should fit snug but have NO contact with the action or the shock of the recoil will crack it. Test fit then shave in the areas that touch the action with a Dremel. Leave no sharp edges that will promote a crack. Go slow.
Kurt Welcome to the forum Kentucky.

After you change stocks, perform a function check.

Cycle the action, the hammer should lock back. Pull the trigger, the hammer should fall.
Cycle the action again. When you pull the trigger, hold it to the rear. Cycle the bolt again. When you let up on the trigger, you should hear a click as the hammer transitions from the rear hooks to the front.

If it does not function as above, the stock fit needs adjustment.

Received the stock today, fits perfectly. Hand guard requires a tad more work...ordered the specific plier from MidwayUSA (1/2 the price of Brownells), along with some other items. Looks good with the black plastic hand guard, but I'm not boogering anything trying to remove and install that clip without the pliers....anyone have comments on a better grease than Lubriplate 130-A for the grease parts and regular BreakFree CLP for oiling? Any comments on gluing the hand guard clip to the stock? This is my first M1A, and the owners' manual is severely lacking...the added military literature is better, but how applicable is it with changes in available products and lubes? Thanks in advance...

The M14 needs very little grease. It only attracts dirt. The FM I posted above shows the grease points. Lubriplate is still the best.

Use a clean toothbrush to rub CLP into all metal surfaces except the gas piston and inside the plug.

Funny, every video on youtube talks about greasing the hell out of the bolt roller, and a couple other points (op rod/receiver slide track)...Not to discount Talyn, who mentioned lubriplate earlier, but I was unsure which lubriplate was the right one...did a little research to find the 130-A. CLP is my normal product for my other firearms.

Rifle looks pretty good with the black plastic hand guard on the walnut, but I'm jonesing to put the wood guard on...but I'm not boogering anything without the right tool. I appreciate your help! Thanks Kurt...(and Talyn and others...)

Lubriplate is mil-spec for the M1 Garand/M14/M1A.

YouTube is full of idiots. The bolt roller is simply an anti friction device to keep the bolt lug from sticking to the oprod in arctic environments. It actually turns very little. It is not a wheel bearing.

If you look in the FM, you will see that the grease goes on the outside of the roller, where it contacts the camming surfaces of the oprod, not the inside.

As a general rule, if you can see the grease, you have used too much. It will only attract dirt.

Lubriplate is mil-spec for the M1 Garand/M14/M1A.

I obviously read your initial recommendation....I looked around and saw (and knew) that Lubriplate makes a million types of greases...just wanted to be sure I use the right one. 130-A is not available everywhere, but I found it....

Kurt...you obviously are well-versed in the M-14 platform...I hope you stick around here! Watched the vids...priceless. My initial attraction to the M1A was my attraction to that era when the videos were made...I can't thank you enough.

I obviously read your initial recommendation....I looked around and saw (and knew) that Lubriplate makes a million types of greases...just wanted to be sure I use the right one. 130-A is not available everywhere, but I found it....

Kurt...you obviously are well-versed in the M-14 platform...I hope you stick around here! Watched the vids...priceless. My initial attraction to the M1A was my attraction to that era when the videos were made...I can't thank you enough.
On my M1A I use synthetic red mobile 1 grease, I purchased it through Amazon and comes in a syringe with a curved tip. Works very well, I don’t use a ton just a enough in those critical areas to ensure smooth operation. I also use Hoppe’s Black gun oil in other areas.
The owners manual tells you where and where not to lubricate.
There is a lot of good information on the web including YouTube, not all are idiots, just be careful.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Pour a glass of your favorite antiseptic and watch these two videos...

The bible is FM 23-8. Chapter 5 shows the important grease points.

https://archive.org/stream/FM23-81968#page/n29/mode/2up

FM 23-71 will help you at the range. Chapter 3 covers the sights.

https://archive.org/stream/FM23-71#page/n47/mode/2up

When your brain can't handle any more, we dumb things down a bit on this thread...

https://m14forum.com/reference/501642-ps-magazine.html
Good videos, a little hooky but they make me want to go to the range with my M1A

Back