testtest

M1A Steel Scope Mounts

RangerBill

Operator
Just received the steel scope mount for my M1A, and mounted a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 scope on it. Need to get it to the range tomorrow and get it sighted in. I used the 44 Cal spud from the bore sighter kit, fit perfectly in the flash hider.
20200709_111151.jpg
20200709_102951.jpg

Thanks guys! I had been shooting it with some mil-spec stuff, generally 150 grain ball, through the peep sight. A fellow at the club told me it'll shoot much better with 168 Gr Match loads. I have a feeling my eyes are a bit aged and has alot to do with no x-rings with irons. I have some Federal Premium 168 Match rounds, I'll compare them tomorrow at the range.

Regards,
Bill

Hi Bill. While I do not own an M1A yet, I am saving up for one. Where did you find the scope mounts? I would like to make mine similar to yours. No clue where to start.

Hi Bill. While I do not own an M1A yet, I am saving up for one. Where did you find the scope mounts? I would like to make mine similar to yours. No clue where to start.
In hindsight, I wouldn't go this route again. The mounts are difficult to mount and get the optics lined up straight with the bore axis. These steel mounts came from Springfield, and Sadlak makes a similar steel mount. If you decide to remove the scope to use the peep sights, it will be a chore getting the mounts and scope back on and sighted in. It isn't your traditional scope ring and base set up. My advice would be to purchase the Scout model with the mounts installed at the factory.

In hindsight, I wouldn't go this route again. The mounts are difficult to mount and get the optics lined up straight with the bore axis. These steel mounts came from Springfield, and Sadlak makes a similar steel mount. If you decide to remove the scope to use the peep sights, it will be a chore getting the mounts and scope back on and sighted in. It isn't your traditional scope ring and base set up. My advice would be to purchase the Scout model with the mounts installed at the factory.

You can still use the iron sights with a Sadlak w/o having to take the whole mount off. They have an eye relief channel built into their mount. Just have to put your optic on quick release rings so you can pop it off and use the irons.

1608423295959.png
1608423361705.png

If you go with the SA M1A Scout model the forward mount is short and more compatible with Red dots, but you can fit a extended-eye relief scope on it but it has to be that special type. Extended eye-relief is needed since the optic is mounted so far forward.

A.R.M.S. also makes a low-profile mount that also allows for iron sight use w/o removal, just take the optic off.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Talyn, I really like the standard model. Can I use your approach with the Sadlak quick release on the standard version?

Back