testtest

M1A

How do I know if the M1A I am looking at is a national match? It says it is but I want to be sure, I only can see it online in pics I have tired to look up the number but I cant seem to locate a website that will help.

Stainless barrel, for starters.

Free-floated barrel.

NM sights.

Not quite.

National Match M1As can have either CM (chrome-moly)or stanless steel barrels.

And neither the National Match nor Super Match barrels are free-floated.

If someone is buying from a dealer then you can tell it's a NM based on the SA model number, therwise if you're buying from an individual then unless the seller has the orginal box then a CM Ntional Match looks just like a Standard except for the National Match front & real sights.

Last edited:
Not quite.

National Match M1As can have either CM or stanless steel barrels.

I was thinking supermatch, maybe...they’re all stainless.

And I thought they had a specific stock?

Been a while...had a NM 20 odd years ago, must be misremembering.

The California-compliant M1A™ Super Match only has a CM barrel, but for the other 49 states the Super Match has a stainless barrel unless you like a CA varient with its specfic muzzle device..

Super Matchs typically have a bulkier stock, that a NM. You used to be able to get a McMillan fiberglass stock with a SM but they're not listed by the factory.

The California-compliant M1A™ Super Match only has a CM barrel, but for the other 49 states the Super Match has a stainless barrel unless you like a CA varient with its specfic muzzle device..

Super Matchs typically have a bulkier stock, that a NM. You used to be able to get a McMillan fiberglass stock with a SM but they're not listed by the factory.
Maybe that’s what I’m thinking of.

My NM had a SM wood stock ; stainless barrel...and it was an AWB version, so I know it didn’t have a bayo lug...but standard FH, I’m pretty sure.

Not quite.

National Match M1As can have either CM (chrome-moly)or stanless steel barrels.

If someone is buying from a dealer then you can tell it's a NM based on the SA model number, therwise if you're buying from an individual then unless the seller has the orginal box then a CM Ntional Match looks just like a Standard except for the National Match front & real sights.
Another option is running the serial number through Springfield and they should be able to send you the data sheet on the gun.

Back