testtest

M24 Sniper Rifle: The Long-Range Legend

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Derived from the Remington Model 700, the M24 sniper rifle was the primary precision anti-personnel rifle for nearly a quarter century and evolved to keep up with shifting doctrine.

1628183056903.png

1628182694676.png

Last edited:
I have a 700 heavy 24" barrel with a McMillan synthetic stock in .223. From my understanding it was a LE sniper weapon as it has a very nice aftermarket 2oz trigger. The gunsmith I bought it from 20+yrs ago told me he took it in on a trade for a 700 heavy barrel in .308. It's the best 200.00 I ever spent. It will day in day out put the rounds on top of each other. If I get a quarter size group I'm disappointed as they are usually the size of a dime or less. I wouldn't trade it for anything. 2yrs ago I tried my darndest to buy one just like it in .308 except all the local firearms dealer wouldn't or couldn't get a Remington and kept pointing me to a Savage 110 tactical in .308 which I did end up buying. Not a bad gun in any way but I sure do not like that it is no where smooth as glass like all the Remington's I've shot and or used. Is the Savage accurate? Sure, but it's no Remington 700.

I soon found out soon why no one would order a Remington 700 when they went belly up and folks who bought one during the end have spoke about how terrible their rifle is.

I have a 700 heavy 24" barrel with a McMillan synthetic stock in .223. From my understanding it was a LE sniper weapon as it has a very nice aftermarket 2oz trigger. The gunsmith I bought it from 20+yrs ago told me he took it in on a trade for a 700 heavy barrel in .308. It's the best 200.00 I ever spent. It will day in day out put the rounds on top of each other. If I get a quarter size group I'm disappointed as they are usually the size of a dime or less. I wouldn't trade it for anything. 2yrs ago I tried my darndest to buy one just like it in .308 except all the local firearms dealer wouldn't or couldn't get a Remington and kept pointing me to a Savage 110 tactical in .308 which I did end up buying. Not a bad gun in any way but I sure do not like that it is no where smooth as glass like all the Remington's I've shot and or used. Is the Savage accurate? Sure, but it's no Remington 700.

I soon found out soon why no one would order a Remington 700 when they went belly up and folks who bought one during the end have spoke about how terrible their rifle is.
My PD sniper teams had these rifles in both .223 and .308. We were concerned about over penetration in a hostage situation with the .308, not as much concern with the .223. On the other side of the coin, plate glass like store fronts and class doors would deflect the projectile of the .223 when fired at certain angles, but with the .308 rounds we used that was not a problem. To my knowledge there have been no injuries from through and through penetration with .223 in police sniper shootings. So we deployed both. We were shooting Winchester BTHP match ammunition in these guns.

Every time contractors tore down a commercial building we were there collecting doors and windows to use in our range tests, and mannequins were much sought after. We would lay out large tarps to collect the broken glass and shoot targets at various angles through the glass. I was surprised at how little the .308 trajectory was affected by the glass, and how much the .223 WAS affected. Each caliber had their uses but this rifle platform was dead nuts accurate.

If I were shopping for a police sniper rifle now it would be a Sig/Blaser R93

Back