testtest

MAGNUM PRIMERS FOR STANDARD PISTOL LOADS

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The ongoing shortage of reloading components has been forcing some handloaders to think about things they might never have even considered previously.

1628471784523.png

Powder granule size and shape do not appear
to make any difference when using powders with similar
burning rates.

I haven't seen any sure data when changing standard with Magnum primers and using same amount of powder. Some have said (people that I've talked to) reduce by .5 to 1 grain. These people have been reloading for over 30 years. As stated in the link about changing primers go back to starting loads. I haven't tried any on pistol, but did do some cci450 in place of cci400. This was on 300bo loads using ww296, h110, 1680 and lil gun with bullet weights from 110 to 170. None were reloads, just new loads with middle of the road charges or just at start load. I went with mag primers because of the powder choice. I might try head to head trials when I can obtain primers at a reasonable price. I just ask their thoughts about when changing primers and it was just what they have done.

Last edited:
I don't suggest anything but I've used magnum primers in lieu of standard without any negative effects. I would have reserves of doing the opposite.

Back