testtest

Montana Outdoors: Lewis and Clark -- The Greatest Hunting Trip Ever?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Stalking Montana’s amazingly abundant wildlife with Lewis and Clark.

Would also apply to their trip thru North-central Idaho.

1675705859442.png

1675705942367.png

1675706129782.png

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Them wer hard times pilgrim. LOL. I enjoyed that article alot since I used to do re-enactments and buckskinner rondys back in the 80s. Still have my percussion .54 and my flint .54 but can't remember the last time I shot them. Spending time in the Colorado rockies with your rifle, a good knife, an oil cloth and a couple trade blankets along with a flint and steel for fire...ahh to be young again. Thanks again for the article.

I've always preferred a .54. I have two, both in the Hawken pattern.

The Lewis & Clark Expedition literally walked/rode past my house when they came through and camped in the same place 1/2 mile away, coming and going.

While we may have learned about the Lewis & Clark Expedition in grade school, I’m not sure most of us understand or appreciate what a significant, unknowable, well-managed undertaking this was. It is perhaps my favorite American history event.

I have two book versions of the expedition, “The Expedition of Lewis and Clark” and “The Journals of Lewis and Clark”.

“The Expedition” is an edited and rewritten version of the journal notes and history. Two books, Volume 1 has 17-chapters; Volume 2 has 18-chapters. Well written and easy reading.

“The Journals” is somewhat unique, I believe, in that it includes a word-for-word, letter-for-letter copy of the original daily journals. These are incredible, misspellings and all. An example:

9th of January Wednesday 1805
a Cold Day Thermometer at 21 below 0, great numbers of indians go to kill cows (Cp. Clark accd. them with 3 or 4 men killed a number of cows near the fort) the little Crow Brackft. with us, Several Indians Call at the Fort nearly frosed.

So great!!!

I've been on, and lived on in a couple places, each of the two routes the Expedition took going to & back from Astoria to Great Falls, and the Three Rivers to Glendive section that Clark's party took on coming back.

Would like to do the water section from GF to the MT/ND line but that will need some logistics & my sea kayak to do.

Last edited:
Back