testtest

Most versatile gun..

In my opinion, for the woodsman, bushcrafter, bushranger, prepper etc, is the single shot, break-action 12 gauge shotgun.

Slugs, the various types of shot, flares, rocks (in times of desperation) smokeless powder or black powder, and with inserts, smaller gauge shells, pistol and rimfire rounds.

The versatility is endless, the price points are pretty cheap, mechanically simple to clean, maintain and repair, ammo galore.

What do you guys think?

In the first half of the 20th century single shot, break-action shotguns were more popular than rifles for hunting. In the South, the 16 gauge ruled. Reason being there wasn't much big game animals left to hunt. Small game and birds were a perfect match for a single shot and all one needed for home protection. But since you're going "pretty cheap, mechanically simple" this will work well in a pinch! Remember, a country boy can survive!

Hard to argue against a shotgun for versatility. Hard to argue against a single-shot for ease of everything. Much better choices for being better at one thing or another, but if you are looking to pigeonhole a gun as a do-all, you might be right. I am not a shotgun guy either, although I do have the old 870 express someplace in the house. Haven't fired it nearly 10 years though. My primary reason for owning firearms eliminates a one-shot as an option....but I get your point.

Springfield Armory M6 would be an interesting choice for survival purposes but they don't make them anymore. A combination or Drilling gun with centerfire rifle over shotgun is a good survival choice. I agree that a 12 ga pump shotgun with a range of ammo is about as versatile as it gets, I have an 870 that will handle anything afoot or on wing from 1-100 yards, but even my k80 skeet gun will do in a pinch

Hard to argue against your choice but... I always liked my Savage .22/410 for versatility. I learned to shoot with it and have taken birds of all type, all manner of small game and several deer. It's the reason I use rifle sighted shotgun to hunt birds to this day lol.

Put me down for that or the .22/16 Guage version for my choice for most versatile. Hard to beat the two options instead of one.

Last edited:
1st shotty that got me by was a 410 break action single. Where I'm at the largest animal to shoot is a deer. Lots of quail and turkey downed. I can't say I've tried I on coyotes and prairie dogs though. It's been my definsive go t against those rattle worms. I would still choose that gun, but for larger harmful critters something bigger would probably be better.

Instead of versatile, I would say simple and cheap. Not a bad thing for a kid learning the ropes or someone who is very limited with funds. Personally, I think a double or pump is way superior to any single shot. Singles are the derringers of the shotgun world IMO. YMMV

Limited on funds, indeed +1 on that derringer analogy.

I always wondered how the idea of was pitched as a sitcom, in that a humble man of the hills, strikes oil with a single shot, takes his new found wealth to LA all the while being swindled by a shifty banker.

Category: Single Shot Long Guns
For $50 : “It made Jed Clampett a rich man”
718A2FE3-83DF-4F04-8064-B192836452D4.jpeg

Instead of versatile, I would say simple and cheap. Not a bad thing for a kid learning the ropes or someone who is very limited with funds. Personally, I think a double or pump is way superior to any single shot. Singles are the derringers of the shotgun world IMO. YMMV
In what context? I'm not talking about for defensive/offensive situations. I'm talking about utilitarian/survival/sustainability roles

In what context? I'm not talking about for defensive/offensive situations. I'm talking about utilitarian/survival/sustainability roles
IMO, a double is more versatile than a single in utilitarian/survival/sustainability roles and a pump may be more so. I agree a single is simple and cheap, but OTOH, both the double and the pump platforms are reliable and inexpensive at the lower end. I would prefer a cheap pump over a single any day. But like I said, YMMV.

I'll disagree. You don't have the variety of ammunition that can be shot compared to a SS shotgun. Quite a few of the calibers that the contender can shoot can be shot from the SS and more.
You can put a shotgun barrel on both of them.

Encore can have a 12ga barrel.

Meanwhile, it can also be anything from a .22LR pistol to a .30-06 rifle, muzzle loader, 12ga shotgun…

That’s a poop load more versatility in my book.

Last edited:
I think it's a matter of definition and intent. If you are talking carrying a variety of cartridges at any given time for any kind of animal then a single gauge shotgun or a combo gun might be your definition of versatile.

If you are talking end of the world scrounging or simply wanting one firearm with the very most possible uses the Thompson Center pistols are hard to beat. Or perhaps something like the Chiappia multi insert M6.

Back