testtest

My best worst pistol

OkiePewPew

Staff member
My father got into guns when I was a teenager. Just a gun for the house and one for the truck, small town Oklahoma ya know. The truck gun was the Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro sub compact 9mm. It was a decent gun, shot very well out to 50y, and was small enough to carry if needed. The problem was every now and again, when you took a shot, the reset on the trigger would seem to shorten up so much that it double fired. We found out it had a recall and called them up but they said only drops would cause the misfire, not firing the gun. Regardless, they took it back under the recall and we got a G2C in return. It was a perfectly fine little gun but was less accurate to 50y and less refined than the current G series.

So my dad eventually got to the point he couldn’t safely operate firearms and they moved in with me. Lucky for me that I didn’t love that G2C because it was traded in for my very first Springfield pistol the XDS Mod 1. Which then became a Mod 2 for my wife, then an XD sub compact, and finally my current edc the XDM Compact.

Thanks Dad
1688833824969.png

Everyone starts somewhere. First handgun I bought was a Taurus. Wanted a handgun for home defence and hunting. Read a test article, maybe Gun Tests if they existed in the early 80s, where 6 inch .357 magnums were tested. The first model 66 Taurus, SW 19 clone was rated very highly. The price made it very attractive to a young newlywed going thru college so I bought one. Great buy, still have it and hunt with it. It has taken many game animals.

20230708_124940.jpg

Last edited:
My first handgun. Iver Johnson Trailsman 66 circa 1960. Within a few hundred rounds, it would not index. Firing pin marks around every charge hole. Went back to the factory twice without resolving the issue. Heartbreaking for a 14 year old kid. My dad promoted the IJ because he had a Sealed 8 when he was a boy. After the second trip to the factory, he let me trade it for a used Ruger Single Six which is what I wanted in the first place. I still have it.

The best worst gun I owned, believe it or not, was a Walther Q4 SF. This was the full steel frame version of the PPQ M2. The gun looked magnificent, was optic ready, and was extremely accurate, which you would expect for $1300. However, it was extremely heavy - 40oz. unloaded. Which is fine for a 5 in 1911, but a 4 in Walther just made the thing feel like balancing a brick on top of your hand.

i too can't say i ever had a "worst gun", just a gun or 2, or 5, that i liked when i got them new, then later fell out of favor with them for any number of reasons.

now, i know why some guys have had so many marriages.

falling out of favor, is contagious, in anything in life.

The very worst gun i ever owned was a raven arms 25 auto
Amazing. I ran 3 magazines through mine last month. I "aquired" mine, along with a Stallard Arms (soon after became Hi Point) 9mm after the death of a family friend. The family knew no other "gun guy" and wanted the guns to be gone, so I obliged. With good ammunition the Raven runs just fine. The Stallard isn't particular. Any ammo, all day long, 0 problems. As I said: Amazing. . .

I've had some guns that just didn't bond with me: some had parts fall off (Keltec and Taurus), poor metal (Llama), or uncomfortable to shoot (PA-63). You would be correct to assume these were guns that fell into a lower price category. I'm generally happy with moderately priced guns.

Amazing. I ran 3 magazines through mine last month. I "aquired" mine, along with a Stallard Arms (soon after became Hi Point) 9mm after the death of a family friend. The family knew no other "gun guy" and wanted the guns to be gone, so I obliged. With good ammunition the Raven runs just fine. The Stallard isn't particular. Any ammo, all day long, 0 problems. As I said: Amazing. . .
I also once owned a Raven .25 . It never jammed , ate any ammo I put through it and was very accurate . Only thing was I was afraid to shoot a venomous snake with it for fear I would make the snake mad and it would bite me for it.

The worst pistol I ever owned was a S&W model 915. It wouldn't shoot a good group at any range , including at 7 yards , no matter the brand of ammo. It was a fine looking firearm , it ate anything I put through it , it just wouldn't shoot. The barrel was clean , the lands looked good , but it had something wrong.

The first generation Beretta APX Carry was the worst pistol I owned and also the only firearm I've ever sold because of how bad I felt the trigger was. Brutally long and extremly heavy trigger pull with a horrible reset. The pistol felt great in the hand but it wasn't a good pistol to shoot.

Back