testtest

National Peace Officer Memorial Day

HayesGreener

Hellcat
Today is National Peace Officer's Memorial Day and this is National Police Week, and I have something to say.

My career in Law Enforcement began in 1970, when pay was low and violence against officers was high. Throughout my career, I was in awe of the men and women of law enforcement around me who went in harm's way in service to others. As a young officer, every day was exciting and a challenge, but what always impressed me was the willingness of these men and women to put service to others above their own personal safety and prosperity. Most of them could make a lot more money in private business but chose the path of service instead. I came to understand that the profession is a calling, and most who are drawn to it have a servant's heart.

Yes some of those individuals became LEO's for the wrong reasons, and some with human failings betrayed the trust of their communities, but they were an extremely small percentage. We exerted a lot of effort to exclude those individuals from the field. We can find examples of officer misconduct, but the vast majority of officers are courageous, honorable men and women trying to do the right thing every day. Our communities are safer and better places because of their commitment and service. One only needs to observe the chaos and mayhem that occurs when they are absent or restrained in their duties to understand just how much they do to keep us safe.

I was present when officers delivered babies, saved lives with CPR, pulled people and pets from burning cars and homes, rescued a drowning child, and stopped murders and other crimes in progress. I was also present at crash scenes where adults and children were maimed or killed, and at domestic violence scenes where human savagery reaches its most base level. I was present when we knocked on the doors of immediate families in the middle of the night to notify next of kin of deaths of loved ones. I have been present when shots were fired at officers and when officers fired back, and have many times witnessed firsthand what I refer to as media brutality. There were countless SWAT responses where officers dealt with the most violent and desperate, and the degree of restraint in the use of force defies understanding of those who have not worked in the field. And I have seen the terrible emotional toll taken on the officers themselves from what they have experienced.

Much of my energy over the years was devoted to training officers in the use of force, and I am convinced that the more proficient they are in the use of force the less likely they will use it inappropriately.

I studied countless police officer killings to gain an understanding of training and equipment shortfalls, and taught officer survival for many years. In many cases mistakes were made, but in most cases there were factors beyond the officer's control. But Courage of officers has never been in short supply.

I have also attended far too many police funerals in my lifetime, in honor of those officers who put their lives on the line for their communities and lost. It is for them that this day of remembrance, and this week, are dedicated to. Please my friends take a moment to reflect upon what it takes for an officer to go into harms way for us every day. And if you are every in our National Capitol, I urge you to visit the Law Enforcement Officer Memorial and Museum.

Today is National Peace Officer's Memorial Day and this is National Police Week, and I have something to say.

My career in Law Enforcement began in 1970, when pay was low and violence against officers was high. Throughout my career, I was in awe of the men and women of law enforcement around me who went in harm's way in service to others. As a young officer, every day was exciting and a challenge, but what always impressed me was the willingness of these men and women to put service to others above their own personal safety and prosperity. Most of them could make a lot more money in private business but chose the path of service instead. I came to understand that the profession is a calling, and most who are drawn to it have a servant's heart.

Yes some of those individuals became LEO's for the wrong reasons, and some with human failings betrayed the trust of their communities, but they were an extremely small percentage. We exerted a lot of effort to exclude those individuals from the field. We can find examples of officer misconduct, but the vast majority of officers are courageous, honorable men and women trying to do the right thing every day. Our communities are safer and better places because of their commitment and service. One only needs to observe the chaos and mayhem that occurs when they are absent or restrained in their duties to understand just how much they do to keep us safe.

I was present when officers delivered babies, saved lives with CPR, pulled people and pets from burning cars and homes, rescued a drowning child, and stopped murders and other crimes in progress. I was also present at crash scenes where adults and children were maimed or killed, and at domestic violence scenes where human savagery reaches its most base level. I was present when we knocked on the doors of immediate families in the middle of the night to notify next of kin of deaths of loved ones. I have been present when shots were fired at officers and when officers fired back, and have many times witnessed firsthand what I refer to as media brutality. There were countless SWAT responses where officers dealt with the most violent and desperate, and the degree of restraint in the use of force defies understanding of those who have not worked in the field. And I have seen the terrible emotional toll taken on the officers themselves from what they have experienced.

Much of my energy over the years was devoted to training officers in the use of force, and I am convinced that the more proficient they are in the use of force the less likely they will use it inappropriately.

I studied countless police officer killings to gain an understanding of training and equipment shortfalls, and taught officer survival for many years. In many cases mistakes were made, but in most cases there were factors beyond the officer's control. But Courage of officers has never been in short supply.

I have also attended far too many police funerals in my lifetime, in honor of those officers who put their lives on the line for their communities and lost. It is for them that this day of remembrance, and this week, are dedicated to. Please my friends take a moment to reflect upon what it takes for an officer to go into harms way for us every day. And if you are every in our National Capitol, I urge you to visit the Law Enforcement Officer Memorial and Museum.
Thank you for your service sir.

For those there for the right reason I'll support them! I want to have trust in all LEOs, but lately some have been disappointing:(. In my small community there are a few that show "I have a badge and right about everything" mentality. With knowing Texas Rangers, DPS and good friends with enough LEOs that I can whole-heartedly trust I know who to call other than 911. With my recent bout with an officer has proven disconcerting.

Thanks for your service to your community and thank you for the post. I support most police officers and do not support the defund police movement at all. I say most because like any other job , there are bad apples in the crowd.

In my younger years , when I had a heavy right foot and a motor that roared , I had many occasions to speak to officers . Of all those times I had two officers who shouldn't have worn a badge. I was always polite when contact was made because I lived by the saying , " if you want to play you have to pay " . One was an old Sgt who shook his 5 D cell Mag-lite an inch from the tip of my nose while telling me he didn't need a two bit lawyer telling him anything. All I had said was , " Sir , we were going to pick this stuff up before we left."

The second was a fairly new to the local force who pulled me over for " smoking my tires and getting sideways " when I was in a car that could barely spin the tires if you took it to 5,000 RPM and sidestepped the clutch. He was very rude from the start and when I asked him why he had pulled me over ( I always before knew why ) , he wouldn't answer me. Just demanded my license and started to write. When I finally got him to tell me why he had stopped me , I then told him I would see him in court. He voided the ticket and told me he had better never see me do that again . I replied he hadn't seen me do it the first time let alone again. He wasn't on the force very long.

So yes I do appreciate the men and women in blue who risk their lives many times over throughout their time in service .

Thanks to all who have served or are currently serving their community and state.

HayesGreener, thank you for your service in law enforcement and thank you for the contributions you regularly make to this forum that reflect your knowledge and experience. My youngest son is in his 20th year in law enforcement and on most days this flag flies from the front porch to honor all those who serve.

Blue line flag.JPG

Thank you for your service, Sir. I always enjoy your postings filled with words of wisdom. The read reminded me of my time in the service.

I met five of my city's finest by accident one time when I was swatted by a 911 caller. I looked out the front door to see them in tactical formation with weapons drawn at the low ready. We all shared a laugh afterwards and chalked it up to a prank call.

HayesGreener, thank you for your service in law enforcement and thank you for the contributions you regularly make to this forum that reflect your knowledge and experience. My youngest son is in his 20th year in law enforcement and on most days this flag flies from the front porch to honor all those who serve.

View attachment 27413
My best to your son and may St. Michael watch over him.

To all the current and retired law enforcement officers on the forum and those across the country thank you for your service.
In 1988 I applied to be an officer in the Connecticut town I lived in, I aced the written exam and passed the background check with no issues. The physical test was also no issue and although I was 30 years old I was in great shape, I even destroyed the time in the cross country run.
The reason I was not chosen was I was an Irishman applying to be a member of an all Italian department. Those were different times and discrimination was rampant. My second try was with the Connecticut state police and although I was chosen for the next class the budget was cut on new hiring just before the class was to start.
6 years later I went to work for Marlin Firearms, the next 20 years were a blur.

Truly one of the most eloquent, sincere, heartfelt tributes to police service I have ever read. Well done.

I am an active Police Officer Firearms Instructor now coming up on 31 years. I love the JOB. Yes there are some bad apples around and I call them out on things when I see it. I have been accused of being too nice by supervisors. And spot on we do not do it for money it is a calling. All I ever wanted was to be thanked for doing a good job thats all for when I do it.

Back