testtest

New-Gun-Owner Question About Ported Barrels, 1911's and Stuff

PaulieDC

Elite
Hey All,

Have an SA 1911 Range Officer on order (and several months to wait) and I have my eye on this ammo for the range when the gun actually gets here. CCI says not to use this in a ported barrel. I read up on what a ported barrel is, but I have no idea in the 1911 I ordered has one, the specs don't say. Does that pretty much mean a gun does NOT have one unless explicitly stated? I ordered the PI9131L. Just want to make sure it's not ported before I get in line for the bucket-o-ammo. Thanks!

Hey All,

Have an SA 1911 Range Officer on order (and several months to wait) and I have my eye on this ammo for the range when the gun actually gets here. CCI says not to use this in a ported barrel. I read up on what a ported barrel is, but I have no idea in the 1911 I ordered has one, the specs don't say. Does that pretty much mean a gun does NOT have one unless explicitly stated? I ordered the PI9131L. Just want to make sure it's not ported before I get in line for the bucket-o-ammo. Thanks!
Your Springfield 1911 RO Does not have a ported barrel.
Welcome to the forum and the rabbit hole known as firearm ownership. This site is known to cause everyone to buy more guns. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Welcome to the forum and do yourself a favor. If you’re buying ammo before you have the gun especially, I wouldn’t buy more than one box of any type/ kind. Your gun may not like it. You’re going to want to try different ammo in it to see what feeds properly and what am I you like/ prefer.

Hey All,

For future reference , any firearm that is ported will be pointed out in the advertisement for said firearm.

Welcome to the forum. By the way , there are a couple members here who .... well it is really hard to describe ..... I am sure you will learn about them shortly. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 😂 😂

Welcome to the forum and do yourself a favor. If you’re buying ammo before you have the gun especially, I wouldn’t buy more than one box of any type/ kind. Your gun may not like it. You’re going to want to try different ammo in it to see what feeds properly and what am I you like/ prefer.
Excellent point. These are the things us greenies wouldn't think of... "don't all bullets just shoot like bullets??" :sneaky: I'm wondering if that's the #1 thing us noobs need to know, so thanks for the advice! Just like acoustic guitar strings, I tell my students to TRY different kinds, not all feel great and the tone depends on the wood type. Forget the ads. Anyway, great advice, thanks.

OK, I can see that this place is already awesome, so many other forums for music and photography hold world records for snobbery! Thanks all!
No snobs here but be very careful of @Annihilator he will try to get you to invest a fake chicken coop. He’s also known as the Tin Man.
4A308063-2D52-4B93-B599-EC4BF945E843.jpeg

you’ll find him hanging out with @10mmLife and @BET7 dressing up chickens. Very disturbing.

Welcome to the forum! @PaulieDC

Since someone did this for me and caused me to buy another firearm... in stock.

Excellent point. These are the things us greenies wouldn't think of... "don't all bullets just shoot like bullets??" :sneaky: I'm wondering if that's the #1 thing us noobs need to know, so thanks for the advice! Just like acoustic guitar strings, I tell my students to TRY different kinds, not all feel great and the tone depends on the wood type. Forget the ads. Anyway, great advice, thanks.

Another player on the forum. FANTASTIC.

I'm a bass player for over 40 years now but I spend a lot of time on guitar too.

For acoustic wood is definitely important. I don't fuss too much with acoustic guitars as far as strings. In fact my main beater acoustic has slinkys on it right now. :)
Basses are another story. What I lack in talent I make up for with stellar tone. Main rig is a 1989 SVT II non Pro with Winged SED power tubes and NOS preamp tubes, paired with a 2006 SLM Ampeg 810. Running a stock 1974 Rickenbacker 4001 with Rotosound Swing bass 66 SS rounds and a 2015 Spector NS4 with D'addario ELX170s.

Springfield pretty much universally, to the best of my knowledge, refers to their ported pistols as a ”V(X)”, where X is the number of ports...usually V8, V10, and I think they even made a V16 long slide model 1911.

And the reason CCI says not to use that ammo is because it’s a plated bullet; plated bullets tend to shave fragments when the hit the ports, and vent them like tiny bits of shrapnel...not fun.
BF959FCE-BCE9-4A19-8DED-451BFFFB5EAC.jpeg

Thats a buddy of mine shooting a ported Performance Center Shield 9mm...you can imagine if chunks of metal were flying out of there...

Springfield pretty much universally, to the best of my knowledge, refers to their ported pistols as a ”V(X)”, where X is the number of ports...usually V8, V10, and I think they even made a V16 long slide model 1911.

And the reason CCI says not to use that ammo is because it’s a plated bullet; plated bullets tend to shave fragments when the hit the ports, and vent them like tiny bits of shrapnel...not fun.
View attachment 10904

Thats a buddy of mine shooting a ported Performance Center Shield 9mm...you can imagine if chunks of metal were flying out of there...
Good info. Thanks Hans

Back