testtest

New rifle build

Sld1959

Hellcat
Got ya... you thought AR. I bet lol. It's about 3/4 done. Got everything inlaid and the stock rough shaped. patterned after prerevolutuonary long rifles in .54.

20210702_190546.jpg

Very nice! Have had thoughts of building one, enjoy metal and woodworking too.
But, whatever you finally do with it, just don't paint it black or you may have posted an AR anyways? Yes, am kidding! :)
Lol not to worry. The walnut will be stained and oiled and the steel browned.

The brass will be polished, kinda.. this is meant to be a working longhunters rifle.

Last edited:
They are fun, dressing in period clothes, camping in a primitive shelter with period gear, and hunting with a flinter during December muzzkeloading season just is the funnest thing. It transports you to another time.
Sounds like could be fun, like cowboy action shooting.
Have seen some skits and reenactments over the years in various places. Knew some people who were really into period reenactments. Can be an amazing experience on how involved people can get into it. Pretty cool stuff!

Love it !
Was it from a kit or did u assemble parts from sources? Or make any/all yourself??

I have looked for a good flintlock kit, off n on over the years…
It was a stock blank and parts. The stock was rough formed but no inletting. And it is the last time I would do it this way, it is so much harder and time consuming than I thought it would be. It's roughly been 4 years to this point.

By using just pieces bought here and there from different sources I made a few mistakes. The barrel is, I think, a touch too long, which I did not notice until I saw how the nosecap I picked looks in place. And I believe the trigger guard is not quite period correct.

I would recommend Track of the Wolf rifle kits for an easier, still a ton for you to do, and better fitted parts experience. They are inletted, but not to 100 percent in some areas so it takes fitting work.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen. It really is fun and satisfying, I highly recommend the experience. The easy to do Traditions kits are just as fun to experience and make something you can pass down as the harder ones.

The whole experience, from building, to shooting and woodswalking is ummmm... slower, more relaxed. Yeah some people get real picky and look down thier noses, but you find that in any sport, just find your own way and let it work for you.

Highly recommended.

Back