testtest

New Saint Edge Pistol Owner Has Question

TacticalPirate

Master Class
Hi all,

Just bought a new Saint Edge pistol, and have a PDW on the way.

I noticed when I handle the gun there was a slight rattle in the buffer tube, I opened up the pistol and took out the buffer from the tube and traced the rattle to the weights in the buffer, has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't fired the weapon yet as I just acquired it today, is this an issue I should take up with the warranty or it a common factor with the design?

I've never experienced this rattle when moving around with the ARs or AR pistols I own.

I have the Saint Victor Pistol. I replaced the SBA fixed brace it came with with a Gearworks Tailhook mod 2 brace. I did it over a year ago so I don’t exactly remember, but I believe it came with its own buffer tube, but I’m using the same buffer weight and spring. I don’t remember any rattle from the weight or spring. I’ll pull mine out in a little bit and check though.

The weight should be pretty tight against the stop pin though, so I can’t see that moving. But maybe the spring has a little room to move around. I’ll let you know.

Hi all,

Just bought a new Saint Edge pistol, and have a PDW on the way.

I noticed when I handle the gun there was a slight rattle in the buffer tube, I opened up the pistol and took out the buffer from the tube and traced the rattle to the weights in the buffer, has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't fired the weapon yet as I just acquired it today, is this an issue I should take up with the warranty or it a common factor with the design?

I've never experienced this rattle when moving around with the ARs or AR pistols I own.
The weights are designed to be free moving as part of the buffer system which gives it a kind of dead blow effect to absorb recoil. You can get a solid buffer weight if the loose weights bother you but they are typically cheaper and inferior.

A piston buffer system is another option but they can be pricey.

A little hard to tell because my brace does rattle. But if I shake it pretty hard and try to hold the brace still, I think I hear the spring in the tube rattling a little. Nothing I’m real worried about. My brace makes a lot more noise than the spring. And I’m not overly worried about the rattle my brace makes.

The weights are designed to be free moving as part of the buffer system which gives it a kind of dead blow effect to absorb recoil. You can get a solid buffer weight if the loose weights bother you but they are typically cheaper and inferior.

A piston buffer system is another option but they can be pricey.
Thanks, yeah I'm ignorant about how the buffers on these are put together, I only have a Geissele Super Duty pistol to base my prior experiences off of. This is a much lighter pistol and an inch shorter.

Thanks, yeah I'm ignorant about how the buffers on these are put together, I only have a Geissele Super Duty pistol to base my prior experiences off of. This is a much lighter pistol and an inch shorter.
Geissele make a top of the line product!

I used a 7.5oz Kaw Valley buffer solid buffer weight in a 9mm AR-9 i finished recently. Pistol caliber ARs require a much heavier buffer & spring as they don't use a gas system and are a direct blowback action that relies on inertia to cycle it.

I just went and looked at the Saint Pistol vs. the Saint Victor pistol. There seems to be a difference in the buffer tube. The Victor tube is one diameter from the castle nut back. On the Saint, it looks like it has a narrower tube at the castle nut, then gets bigger a short distance back. I don’t know what that’s about. Maybe it has something to do with the extra rattle you’re hearing. And 10mmLife mentioned weights. As in plural. Mine has one weight. It is marked H for heavy. I don’t have multiple weights. Just the one weight and the spring are in my tube.

I just went and looked at the Saint Pistol vs. the Saint Victor pistol. There seems to be a difference in the buffer tube. The Victor tube is one diameter from the castle nut back. On the Saint, it looks like it has a narrower tube at the castle nut, then gets bigger a short distance back. I don’t know what that’s about. Maybe it has something to do with the extra rattle you’re hearing. And 10mmLife mentioned weights. As in plural. Mine has one weight. It is marked H for heavy. I don’t have multiple weights. Just the one weight and the spring are in my tube.
There are individual weights in some buffer weights. You can shake just the weight back and forth to hear them.

Anatomy of a buffer weight.

Screenshot_20210121-210616_Firefox.jpg

Ok. The specs on the Saint Pistol doesn’t mention multiple weights, just a heavy tungsten weight. Still not sure about the buffer tube diameter change on the Saint. I’m no AR expert, but don’t recall seeing that before.
Yeah I'm not sure what's in the Saint Edge either. I'm not an expert myself I just tinker with AR's....😁👍

Yeah I'm not sure what's in the Saint Edge either. I'm not an expert myself I just tinker with AR's....😁👍
I don’t think he has the Edge, just the regular Saint... But it is a difference I haven’t seen before. Can’t tell what the buffer tube on the Edge looks like. It has that super-duper brace that collapses over the whole tube and there are no pictures with it extended to see it.

What does this stamp mean?
74CABD9C-EC5E-42E3-9E12-2BBE3A845115.jpeg

Oh, you do have the Edge. All this talking and I did a couple things. I checked my old brace with buffer tube, but that doesn’t apply anymore. And I checked my buffer weight. It is different than yours, but I did shake it and heard the weights moving around, so I think what you are hearing is normal. I don’t really notice it when handling the pistol, or maybe I do and was just thinking it was the brace. I really have to shake the firearm to hear it. But I did discover that with the weight out, I can hear the internal weights rattle. Learn something new every day...

What does this stamp mean?
View attachment 14309
Not positive, but my guess would be that it is the weight in ounces. Not sure what the S would stand for (maybe Saint?), but maybe the 3.30 is ounces. A carbine length rifle would have a standard weight of 3 ounces. The H for heavy would be 3.8 ounces. Weights go up from there with H2 & H3. My guess is that SA designed the weight to work best with their barrel and gas tube length. Maybe someone who actually knows can respond instead of me taking guesses. :)

The buffer rattle is normal for the AR platform and is nothing to be concerned about. It occurs across brands and configurations.

Other things you will notice is a slight scraping sound as the weapon is cycled. This is caused by the spring scraping against the inside of the buffer tube as it is compressed and released, and this is also normal for the AR platform.
On occasion you may hear a slight "twang" during firing caused by the rapid compression and release of the buffer spring. Again, this is normal.

You can get third party buffer assemblies that eliminate these sounds, if you wish, but it would just be an added expense for no real positive gain.

Back