testtest

Novak sights - why?

Do you think it is important to be able to manipulate your pistol with only one hand?

• Total voters

fordag

Elite
Why are Novak sights still being put on pistols intended for combat use?

Since their introduction I have never been a fan of Novak sights. That snag free ramp rear sight is the problem. The problem being that it is too snag free. I was taught that you may need to be able to operate your pistol with only one hand. That obviously includes racking the slide with one hand. The rear sight hooked on your belt or the heal of your shoe works really well. That's just not an option with Novak sights.

Yes it is possible, but more awkward, to use the edge of your ejection port on your heel or the edge of a sturdy holster. But why not a good solid rear sight with an edge you can use to rack the slide?

Novak's are excellent and my favorite sights on 1911a and Browning HPs.

I'll take an excellent low-profile sight picture over the ability to use the sight as a auxiliary racking option any day.

The great thing is one has other options if racking the slide with the rear sight is desirable.

My .02

Novak's are excellent and my favorite sights on 1911a and Browning HPs.

I'll take an excellent low-profile sight picture over the ability to use the sight as a auxiliary racking option any day.

The great thing is one has other options if racking the slide with the rear sight is desirable.

My .02

What is your preferred method for racking the slide with one hand?

The Novaks were first developed during a time where one handed racking was not a "thing". It is a product of its time.

The Novaks were first developed during a time where one handed racking was not a "thing". It is a product of its time.

Interesting take, so why are they still around and being put on new guns?

I had been taught one handed racking using my belt and the rear sight long before Novaks were introduced.

Interesting take.

FWIW, I just racked my RO LW Compact one handed, using the rear sight hooked on my belt.

It’s easier with other sights, yes, but not impossible.

Novak sights still have their place, maybe not on a defensive pistol but on a competition pistol. I personally don’t have an issue running Novak sights. My Colt has them.

What I do not understand-during a defensive battle is not the pistol already loaded and in play-if out of ammo does a person not reload and use slide (stop-release-lock)to shut the slide on a new round-so how often would a person need to rack the slide as opposed to release.

What I do not understand-during a defensive battle is not the pistol already loaded and in play-if out of ammo does a person not reload and use slide (stop-release-lock)to shut the slide on a new round-so how often would a person need to rack the slide as opposed to release.
Feedway stoppage of some sort.

Mr. Murphy giving an advanced course.

Back