testtest

Oil care

I'm a big fan of self reliance and I don't like using a lot of harmful chemicals. A lot (not all) of leather care products usually have some kind of petroleum in them so I went looking for an animal based formula and I found one. Would anyone be interested? I'm not selling the stuff because 2 of the 3 ingredients could be considered food and while the third is edible, I wouldn't eat it (beeswax) and it's so easy to make.

I use this stuff on my boots, both work boots and nicer boots, as well as work gloves, holsters etc.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of self reliance and I don't like using a lot of harmful chemicals. A lot (not all) of leather care products usually have some kind of petroleum in them so I went looking for an animal based formula and I found one. Would anyone be interested? I'm not selling the stuff because 2 of the 3 ingredients could be considered food and while the third is edible, I wouldn't eat it (beeswax) and it's so easy to make.

I use this stuff on my boots, both work boots and nicer boots, as well as work gloves, holsters etc.
i could use a good, cheap oil for my old work boots, for the winter time.

Animal fat (lard, tallow, goose grease, etc), cod liver oil and shredded or pellet form beeswax. 6 parts of lard, by weight. 3 parts of bees wax, by weight. 1 part cod liver oil by weight.

Using a double boiler type system, melt your fat (lard) then add your cod liver oil and mix. then add your beeswax (pellets are best) and mix again. pour into some form of wide, shallow tin ( altoids tins are great). I throw my tins in the freezer (or in the cold weather if it's fall or winter)

That's it really.

Well, Frog Lube is edible, but I don’t see people eating it……just sayin….

I’ve used Huberd’s Shoe Grease for thirty plus years. Seems like good stuff. Pine tar and beeswax. Put it on my boots after they have been by the wood stove for a while. Soaks right in.

Animal fat (lard, tallow, goose grease, etc), cod liver oil and shredded or pellet form beeswax. 6 parts of lard, by weight. 3 parts of bees wax, by weight. 1 part cod liver oil by weight.

Using a double boiler type system, melt your fat (lard) then add your cod liver oil and mix. then add your beeswax (pellets are best) and mix again. pour into some form of wide, shallow tin ( altoids tins are great). I throw my tins in the freezer (or in the cold weather if it's fall or winter)

That's it really.
Do you stir or whisk? Seriously! When cooking with butter and heavy cream most recipes I've seen call for whisking so the fat doesn't separate caused by stirring and also low heat. No boiling.

Do you stir or whisk? Seriously! When cooking with butter and heavy cream most recipes I've seen call for whisking so the fat doesn't separate caused by stirring and also low heat. No boiling.
Just stir. All you're doing is liquefying everything so it can be mixed together without your fat and wax catching fire. Melting the fat first creates a nice large, warm "pond" to mix and melt your other ingredients.

Back