testtest

Old ammo disposal?

SubChaser

Operator
I have a few boxes of old, unshootable ammo in various calibers. We have a dumpster owned by the trash collection service we use, but the instructions list several prohibited items including ammo.
I think my best option may be to dig a small hole and bury said rounds.
Any other suggestions?

I have a few boxes of old, unshootable ammo in various calibers. We have a dumpster owned by the trash collection service we use, but the instructions list several prohibited items including ammo.
Any other suggestions?
check with any local/state police.

if they cannot use it, they should have a better way to dispose of it, like letting the bomb squad have at it????

Boats have been all the rage the past few years, if you’re in landlocked state digging a hole on your property may be your best option. You might be able to donate to local firearms instructors that could use it in their class for pulling and reloading.
Definitely do not throw in the waste stream.

Any other suggestions?
How old, and what condition are the boxes in?
Any chance it’d be something someone would display someday ?

Burn it.....
7785564D-3C20-4EE0-AD0E-77A966D3FD7C.jpeg

Any other suggestions?
Usually give old ammo into local law enforcement to dispose of. Be aware, some are actually closed to public, I'd call 1st.
- Possibly give old or unwanted ammo to a gun range if they'll take it.

Burying ammo? - Do you know who or what's going to find it or when?
Out of sight may be out of mind, but it isn't always best or safe.

My father-in-law used to purchase surplus military stuff at the Defense Supply Center located just south of Richmond. I can remember seeing 55 gallon drums full of brass casings of various calibers that had been burned. Lead melts at about 200 degrees which would allow the gun powder to burn but probably not explode. However I've never had a reason to put this theory to practice. Ammo doesn't get the chance to get that old at my house. :)

I am just dumbfounded that ammo some how doesn't get shot.

Isnt that grounds for man card removal or turn in your guns for Airsoft ? 😉🤪
This stuff has been stored away for over 20 years. Most is for guns that I no longer own, and could not shoot now due to physical limitations. The rest is badly corroded. I would not want to be responsible for anyone being hurt or damaging their firearm(s).

Back