testtest

Palmetto State Armory BCG

Bassbob

Emissary
5.56 Nitride MPI full auto BCG

I was pleasantly surprised. Looks very well made. Of course I haven't run it yet, but I did break it down and clean and lube it. Gas key is properly staked, no machine marks, very smooth. Hard to beat for the price. So if anyone is on the fence they are on sale right now along with 10 Gen 2 Pmags for $123/ free shipping.

byxxsSx.jpg

Q1FzUUv.jpg

iqXgwK1.jpg

EQJnNg8.jpg

h2vlIti.jpg

sj9HWLE.jpg

kxVI9Bw.jpg

jR6ZQCp.jpg

BJNu3uO.jpg

Hope it's a good 1 for you Bob! You know, 1 of those......fsa bolt carriers ;) . Regardless of it stating milspec it doesn't mean it'll headspace properly! Even if it was from the same manufacturer as your gun! Be safe! If you need I'll send you the go no-go's I have if needed.
I was under the impression that unless it's a .308, as long as you are not just replacing the bolt, it's ok to replace the entire BCG ? Is that incorrect ?

For the record, this BCG is not for a specific AR, it's a spare. I do plan on replacing BCGs in a couple, but they will be either BCM or Lantac and the BCGs that I pull out will become spares. I have no intention of swapping bolts between carriers.

I was under the impression that unless it's a .308, as long as you are not just replacing the bolt, it's ok to replace the entire BCG ? Is that incorrect ?

For the record, this BCG is not for a specific AR, it's a spare. I do plan on replacing BCGs in a couple, but they will be either BCM or Lantac and the BCGs that I pull out will become spares. I have no intention of swapping bolts between carriers.
The bolt is the only thing headspaced to the chamber. The bolt carrier is only a means of transferring movement. If you replace the carrier only, then no headspacing is needed. Doesn't matter what cartridge in AR10's or 15's.

I know this. So you are saying with a new bolt ( obviously the entire BCG, including the bolt, is new) I need to check headspace ?
If you're using the bolt in either bc you currently use, then headspacing is suggested. The carrier isn't what can/could change headspace. Yes, on Your statement also. As long as the carrier is compatible with the platform it doesn't change headspacing. Bolts however do and/or can.

Is the jury still out on it or???
What's the issue?

Carpenter 158 came first & was adopted as the mil-spec steel for the bolt, and 9130 was developed later.

Both work unless someone is hung up on 158 for some reason.

Carpenter 158 is mil-spec, but 9130 is a newer equivalent.

I've only had one specific BCG that would not work in one specific barrel. In others it was GTG, and another BCG worked in that barrel. Go figure.
With all of the various bolts and bcg's I've used in 10s and 15s only 1 didn't headspace in the gun I bought it for. The crazy thing is it works in all the rest.

5.56 Nitride MPI full auto BCG

I was pleasantly surprised. Looks very well made. Of course I haven't run it yet, but I did break it down and clean and lube it. Gas key is properly staked, no machine marks, very smooth. Hard to beat for the price. So if anyone is on the fence they are on sale right now along with 10 Gen 2 Pmags for $123/ free shipping.

byxxsSx.jpg

Q1FzUUv.jpg

iqXgwK1.jpg

EQJnNg8.jpg

h2vlIti.jpg

sj9HWLE.jpg

kxVI9Bw.jpg

jR6ZQCp.jpg

BJNu3uO.jpg
I bought 3 on sale earlier this month.
2 are in use.
Zero issues on either gun

What's the issue?

Carpenter 158 came first & was adopted as the mil-spec steel for the bolt, and 9130 was developed later.

Both work unless someone is hung up on 158 for some reason.

I am asking you if there's an issue.

If you're using the bolt in either bc you currently use, then headspacing is suggested. The carrier isn't what can/could change headspace. Yes, on Your statement also. As long as the carrier is compatible with the platform it doesn't change headspacing. Bolts however do and/or can.

From what I have heard/read ( I am not an expert here, hence why I am asking questions- And there are a million different answers if you look at AR forums) unless you are replacing a bolt, not a BCG, but a bolt, into a well worn barrel, checking headspace on a 5.56 is "A good idea", but is not necessary. So are you saying if I change BCGs I should use the same bolt that came out of the gun ?

Believe me, if I was a guy who was building a bunch of ARs and I had some gauges I would use them. Just to be safe. And I would presumably check it in all of my ARs since this is a spare BCG and could wind up in any of them. None of which have high round counts.

I am asking you if there's an issue.
No. I recently bought a premium BCG that has a 9130 bolt in it for a rebuild, & I have no worries that it isn't 158.

To me 158 & 9130 are interchangeable.

Regarding swapping bolts, the AR15 platform is so standardized that if the bolt is built to spec by reputable manufacturers, I have no worries about headspace, and never have experienced any when using different AR bolts.

Since the AR10-type doesn't have a standardized spec that's a different matter.

Last edited:
From what I have heard/read ( I am not an expert here, hence why I am asking questions- And there are a million different answers if you look at AR forums) unless you are replacing a bolt, not a BCG, but a bolt, into a well worn barrel, checking headspace on a 5.56 is "A good idea", but is not necessary. So are you saying if I change BCGs I should use the same bolt that came out of the gun ?

Believe me, if I was a guy who was building a bunch of ARs and I had some gauges I would use them. Just to be safe. And I would presumably check it in all of my ARs since this is a spare BCG and could wind up in any of them. None of which have high round counts.
I finally have time to reply. I like removing the what if's and should'a done's by confirming safe headspacing. As far as mil-spec goes the standard on what military considers standard isn't up to snuff. They consider 4moa accurate enough. Wouldn't you want to confirm safety? High round count doesn't mean you should as low count as deemed safe and don't worry about if. Remember the net isn't the best place for info, maybe a guide line at best. High round count could be more about throat issues, than headspacing. The one's on AR.com might be getting their replacement parts from the same place for their AR's (ie, wilson for wilson or dd for dd). I've bought the same brand of bcg's and both headspaced differently in the same gun (ar15). Now onto the next so called ar standard possibility? Not just 556, but other cartridges in that platform. I'm not claiming to be an expert also, only given you thoughts on my experiences with ar15's. Look at it this way? You want to cross a 6 lane highway and traffic is low, there's still a chance of being hit. If you feel confident about your chances then go for it. In my life I've taken many of them and some didn't turn out as well as hoped.

I finally have time to reply. I like removing the what if's and should'a done's by confirming safe headspacing. As far as mil-spec goes the standard on what military considers standard isn't up to snuff. They consider 4moa accurate enough. Wouldn't you want to confirm safety? High round count doesn't mean you should as low count as deemed safe and don't worry about if. Remember the net isn't the best place for info, maybe a guide line at best. High round count could be more about throat issues, than headspacing. The one's on AR.com might be getting their replacement parts from the same place for their AR's (ie, wilson for wilson or dd for dd). I've bought the same brand of bcg's and both headspaced differently in the same gun (ar15). Now onto the next so called ar standard possibility? Not just 556, but other cartridges in that platform. I'm not claiming to be an expert also, only given you thoughts on my experiences with ar15's. Look at it this way? You want to cross a 6 lane highway and traffic is low, there's still a chance of being hit. If you feel confident about your chances then go for it. In my life I've taken many of them and some didn't turn out as well as hoped.
I feel like I would be comfortable using this if I had to, but since it's a spare I don't have to. Maybe before I need it I'll get around to picking up some gauges.

Back