testtest

Picking Up Chicks! 😜

You know, this new post caused me to look back over some of this old thread .... and I realized there are some really sick people here on this forum!!!! Yeh uh huh, you know who you are. jj
2B253881-06E9-4A22-9F54-1C84AFEFDF1F.gif

My daughter is starting out with sho chicks. We are looking forward to getting fresh eggs.
A funny but true story: About a couple yrs before we sold the house and moved here to the institution, my phone rang one night about 2:am. It was one of my neighbors about 4-5 houses down the street. It seems my two bird dogs had gotten out of their kennel and while strolling around the neighborhood had found my neighbor's chicken coop where his 2 kids were raising some kind of very expensive 'show' chix's for some kind of competitions.... and yep, had killed every chicken in that coop. So, being the good neighbor I was, I got dressed and went to his house.

Getting there he met me in the front yard and told me they were around back, but that there was no way those crazy, vicious dogs were going to let me into that coop. I told him it was natural they would not let him in, but they were just reverting back to their ancestry and protecting their kill for their master .... me. So around the house we went to the coop and there set my Springer, dutifully guarding all those dead birds (iirc 12 of them) for me. My Brittany had already left and looking for more birds I guess.

So, I opened the coop door and walked in to my dog, took hold of his collar and told him "good boy", "OK, let it go", and he did. The neighbor could not believe the difference in what he thought was a 'killer' dog to him but so gentle and well mannered to me. I explained it all to him, and how our trained dogs are trained to protect themselves and their kill till I got there if they couldn't retrieve them to me. Anyway, to make a long story short, I told him to figure out what I owed him and stop by my house on his way home the next day and I would square up with him for the dead birds. Note here: I was afraid I was headed for the poor house because I had heard those chix were worth lots and lots of money on the 'show' circuit.

Next afternoon he stopped by on his way home. He came in, had a seat and had a beer with me while we were just shootin' the chit'. Finally I couldn't wait any longer for the bad news so I asked him ... "Well, what's the damages, how much do I owe for the chix's?" I had already asked the wife to bring me the check book knowing there was no way I had enough in my pocket cash to cover those 12 damned 'show' chix's. He took a big slug on his beer bottle, and said "how about $25 for each of the 2 kids? I was thoroughly surprised at the low number he had just thrown out so I asked are you sure? He said oh yeh, that's big money to the kids so they'll be happy and satisfied ..... and I've been trying to find some way to get rid of those damned chickens for weeks now. You solved my problem, so thanks. Stop by some afternoon and I'll buy you a beer.

Swear it's the truth!!!

A funny but true story: About a couple yrs before we sold the house and moved here to the institution, my phone rang one night about 2:am. It was one of my neighbors about 4-5 houses down the street. It seems my two bird dogs had gotten out of their kennel and while strolling around the neighborhood had found my neighbor's chicken coop where his 2 kids were raising some kind of very expensive 'show' chix's for some kind of competitions.... and yep, had killed every chicken in that coop. So, being the good neighbor I was, I got dressed and went to his house.

Getting there he met me in the front yard and told me they were around back, but that there was no way those crazy, vicious dogs were going to let me into that coop. I told him it was natural they would not let him in, but they were just reverting back to their ancestry and protecting their kill for their master .... me. So around the house we went to the coop and there set my Springer, dutifully guarding all those dead birds (iirc 12 of them) for me. My Brittany had already left and looking for more birds I guess.

So, I opened the coop door and walked in to my dog, took hold of his collar and told him "good boy", "OK, let it go", and he did. The neighbor could not believe the difference in what he thought was a 'killer' dog to him but so gentle and well mannered to me. I explained it all to him, and how our trained dogs are trained to protect themselves and their kill till I got there if they couldn't retrieve them to me. Anyway, to make a long story short, I told him to figure out what I owed him and stop by my house on his way home the next day and I would square up with him for the dead birds. Note here: I was afraid I was headed for the poor house because I had heard those chix were worth lots and lots of money on the 'show' circuit.

Next afternoon he stopped by on his way home. He came in, had a seat and had a beer with me while we were just shootin' the chit'. Finally I couldn't wait any longer for the bad news so I asked him ... "Well, what's the damages, how much do I owe for the chix's?" I had already asked the wife to bring me the check book knowing there was no way I had enough in my pocket cash to cover those 12 damned 'show' chix's. He took a big slug on his beer bottle, and said "how about $25 for each of the 2 kids? I was thoroughly surprised at the low number he had just thrown out so I asked are you sure? He said oh yeh, that's big money to the kids so they'll be happy and satisfied ..... and I've been trying to find some way to get rid of those damned chickens for weeks now. You solved my problem, so thanks. Stop by some afternoon and I'll buy you a beer.

Swear it's the truth!!!
That's a good story Joe!

Back